• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got some inbound from Amazon. Will see about a before/after this weekend.

Kirby Allison has done a yt vid about it; some folks are polarized on his personality though so you may or may not wish to watch it. He's extremely informative and has brought some great stuff that I've started planning my trip to London around....but one can sense there's an air of trying too hard sometimes. If that makes sense.

Either way. If you can hold out a few days I'll grab some shots for ya.

Most people just find him really pretentious. I actually think he is just unrealistic, but that is kind of his niche/job. Yes, he will show how to shave while he wears a tux. Sure, his idea of dressing down is using pocket square that has a unique pattern that doesn’t go with his shirt. I can ignore that. My only issue with him—and I’ve told him this online in comments he responded to—is that he only does positive reviews. That is, he will only do a review that is glowing about all the positive traits of a shoe, tie, or item. He won’t say that a product cut corners somewhere, but instead that another product offers superior detailing. He won’t talk about the down sides.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people just find him really pretentious. I actually think he is just unrealistic, but that is kind of his niche/job. Yes, he will show how to shave while he wears a tux. Sure, his idea of dressing down is using pocket square that has a unique pattern that doesn’t go with his shirt. I can ignore that. My only issue with him—and I’ve told him this online in comments he responded to—is that he only does positive reviews. That is, he will only do a review that is glowing about all the positive traits of a shoe, tie, or item. He won’t say that a product cut corners somewhere, but instead that another product offers superior detailing. He won’t talk about the down sides.
YouTube video's can be a business in their own right, so he's building a brand/image for people to follow on YT. I've watched a few of his video's here at work, but on silent, so I don't get the full spectrum of his demeanor.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sovereignly elegant gentleman. ;)

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My only issue with him—and I’ve told him this online in comments he responded to—is that he only does positive reviews.
At the end of the day, Kirby is a salesman. He sells accessories that tie into well dressed gentlemen. A ever smaller segment of society. The main focus of his videos is to steer men into any dress shoe and suit that can benefit from the products that he sells. AE just happens to be a good fit for his business. Especially since he sells a lot of shoe trees.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the reply, even if I order today it will be at least 2 weeks before I see it.
When are you going to London? I'll be there around New Years, planning to catch Wicked while we're there

Not till summer. Aging Raver is stopping thru for a few days en route to Tomorrowland. :hide:

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, Kirby is a salesman. He sells accessories that tie into well dressed gentlemen. A ever smaller segment of society. The main focus of his videos is to steer men into any dress shoe and suit that can benefit from the products that he sells. AE just happens to be a good fit for his business. Especially since he sells a lot of shoe trees.
Yeah, I wish he was more Archibald Chesterfield, III (Archie Luxury) and less Thurston Howell, III.

In all seriousness, Kirby's on-air demeanor is fine with me. We're seeing his salesman character in his videos. I applaud his efforts at encouraging men to be gentlemen, regardless of his motive$.

pedarius

Reaction score
Thanks, thinking of ordering some for my Higgins, since I do not plan on extra shine, just maintenance.
It’s great for that, but I don’t find it any better than Bick4 for the same effects (condition without shine), though the Saphir costs a lot more. I probably won’t re-buy the Saphir when my current stock runs out, even though it’s a nice product.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And that’s why I call it a noncritical summary

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Wingtip Wednesday Shoe Brothers.

My first pair of AE's for today, Walnut Leiden 2nds and Flannel, Jan weather in November today although luckily none of yesterday's early snowfall stuck although it made the commute home fun...
IMG_4571.jpg

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not till summer. Aging Raver is stopping thru for a few days en route to Tomorrowland. :hide:
I would love to go to Tomorrowland, or any of the other big events out this way, however I am an aging raver as well, and I'm sure if I brought it up to my wife she would remind me I'm not a little kid anymore.

lemmy127

Reaction score
Happy Wingtip Wednesday Shoe Brothers.

My first pair of AE's for today, Walnut Leiden 2nds and Flannel, Jan weather in November today although luckily none of yesterday's early snowfall stuck although it made the commute home fun...

Where could one procure said flannels?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only orders you order online show up online. Has nothing to do with trunk show.
Inventory software can be insanely cantankerous, especially considering how much they charge for those things. I'm sure there's some inventory software reason your online account doesn't get updated with your internal account.

Well yeah sure, except for the assertion they have nothing to do with each other. I know special makeups etc..etc... I understand the two purchases are two different things. Sure, they are separate things, but it’s all AE; and as I have seen from some of the screen shots posted. They are collecting crazy amounts of data about me, and what I’ve purchased from them. it would seem they are very likely tracking it. I was simply saying that it’s interesting to me, they’ve got all this data. But no way to channel that data back to me in a meaningful way that integrates me in that buying process at the one point I am able to interact with AE. I’m not saying the glorious AE is bad or anything. I’m sure there are many reasons why that info isn’t available to me the consumer. I just found it interesting is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads