• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've also noticed that my left foot is feeling slightly wider than last year. I'm about to turn 39 next week and I'm starting to push out more against the wall of the upper on the left side. I hope my arch is not slowly starting to flatten out. This could be problematic for the shoes that fit more cozy in the ball area, such as the 511. Some lasts like the 65, 201 and 73 will not be an issue at all.

My wife is holding my bourbon Strands for me when I return home. :) I told her it was my "last shoe of the 2019".

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've also noticed that my left foot is feeling slightly wider than last year. I'm about to turn 39 next week and I'm starting to push out more against the wall of the upper on the left side. I hope my arch is not slowly starting to flatten out. This could be problematic for the shoes that fit more cozy in the ball area, such as the 511. Some lasts like the 65, 201 and 73 will not be an issue at all.

My wife is holding my bourbon Strands for me when I return home. :) I told her it was my "last shoe of the 2019".
Calling 911 right now to put out a pants fire.

Rithrin

Reaction score
Question ...not a fan of burnished toes will it fade over time or is it acetone time?
Or leave well enough alone.

Found this old thread
Not an expert, but toe burnishing coming off is only something I've seen with damage and heavy wear.

Lionel Hutz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Conditioning always results in bloom
it doesn't bother me at all.

Speaking of which, is there any problem with just leaving a thin layer of VSC on shell (i.e. for shoes I plan to store for a while not brushing off the excess after it is applied)?

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it doesn't bother me at all.

Speaking of which, is there any problem with just leaving a thin layer of VSC on shell (i.e. for shoes I plan to store for a while not brushing off the excess after it is applied)?
Might crust a bit

Lionel Hutz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might crust a bit
but presumably I could just brush of the crust? seems to me that it would be a prudent way to store shoes for extended periods but I just wanted to see if there is some downside I'm not considering

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but presumably I could just brush of the crust? seems to me that it would be a prudent way to store shoes for extended periods but I just wanted to see if there is some downside I'm not considering
Brushing it first won’t make it any less storage proof

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TS 19.1 bourbon First Avenues today. A little bloomy because I just conditioned them with Bick 4, but still very nice.
View attachment 1275752
I have to say how much I am loving all of the bourbon shell since TS 2.0. Glad that it was unlimited.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice patina, walnut ?
Thanks, but no, they are just good ol' oxblood and can vary in color depending on the light. For example, below is same day in sun, shade and indoors. Yes, I did a study. lol.

And btw, welcome to the group. You may be a "newbie" here but certainly not new to AE. That is a nice collection you have.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lionel Hutz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's any danger unless you put them in a location where there isn't good air ventilation.
what is the danger if kept in an area where there isn't good ventilation?

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.