• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about the full strap Alden, meh due to last. LHS on Van trumps these, just like the Patriot. (Volume)
It's supposed to be buff, but the edges lean more natural to trans brown.
Yes Alden full strap. I know you would have issues wearing it but the look on the foot is so clean. I wish AE would have chosen to not do hand stitching and instead just stick with machine stitch on the Randolph... Personal preference. :hide: Very good on the welt, it turned out well. I hope my trans brown is darker rather than some of the light I've seen.

Either way, those shoes look great in bourbon. I'm convinced that bourbon can make ANYTHING look good!!

Casual Friday and heading out with Mrs. Donkey tonight to celebrate 21 years. Not going anywhere fancy and just doing stupid stuff we used to do when we were 21 at the stupid places that are still around all these years later, so I'll probably just keep this combo going on. Uniqlo selvedge and SMU Oxblood Daltons with red Dainite soles from @ae_ashley. Easily my most complimented pair of shoes, which kills me since they're just my poor man's shell version for now. 22 wears in 2019 and they're finally starting to feel somewhat comfortable for extended periods, which is weird since my Sullivan Streets felt awesome in less than 10 wears.
Happy anniversary to you, my friend!

Not a huge fan of Dainite for comfort, but the red bottoms and red top really pops!!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes Alden full strap. I know you would have issues wearing it but the look on the foot is so clean. I wish AE would have chosen to not do hand stitching and instead just stick with machine stitch on the Randolph... Personal preference. :hide: Very good on the welt, it turned out well. I hope my trans brown is darker rather than some of the light I've seen.

Either way, those shoes look great in bourbon. I'm convinced that bourbon can make ANYTHING look good!!

Happy anniversary to you, my friend!

Not a huge fan of Dainite for comfort, but the red bottoms and red top really pops!!
Well, I think everyone knows my feelings on machine vs hand stitching! Randolph and Patriot included, but I make do. It's hard being me.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strong showing for a newbie! Welcome! :-D

BTW: Are those MTO Walnut Mackenzies with a medallion delete lower right?
They are MacLennon in walnut I think

MMiUSA

Reaction score
Getting a bit discouraged with fitting lately. My feet have changed a good bit over the last 2 years.

I feel like I can't find anything that works well these days. 65 is a no go for me outside of the Strandmok which fits a little wider for whatever reason, as the width I need for my ball /toes ends up being too big in the heel. I bought the Mackenna (201 last) blucher in 10E (my brannock wearing dress socks is like 10.25 E / 10 E). The length feels a bit long but not unbearable, but more problematic is the heel seems too wide and roomy which slips.

I am thinking of ordering the Higgin's Mill as well, but worried as the last time I got a 10.5 E natural, I felt it too long. But my brannock with medium thickness socks is 10.5E / 10.25E, so in theory the HM being popularly regarded as TTS length, should have worked. Any suggestions for sizing here?

My "local" store (about 1.5 hours away) literally never has any wide in stock, so I am constantly having to order, try on, return, wait, repeat. Any suggestions on last that may have a better heel fitment but also allow for a somewhat higher instep / wide forefoot area?

lemmy127

Reaction score
Do any weasels wear "trendy" sneakers? I feel like the odd man out wearing GATs on a casual Friday haha
Fear not, I've got a pair of Epaulet GATs and a pair of Nike x J. Crew Killshot 2s that both get heavy wear on casual Fridays. LL Bean camp mocs got the call today though.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting a bit discouraged with fitting lately. My feet have changed a good bit over the last 2 years.

I feel like I can't find anything that works well these days. 65 is a no go for me outside of the Strandmok which fits a little wider for whatever reason, as the width I need for my ball /toes ends up being too big in the heel. I bought the Mackenna (201 last) blucher in 10E (my brannock wearing dress socks is like 10.25 E / 10 E). The length feels a bit long but not unbearable, but more problematic is the heel seems too wide and roomy which slips.

I am thinking of ordering the Higgin's Mill as well, but worried as the last time I got a 10.5 E natural, I felt it too long. But my brannock with medium thickness socks is 10.5E / 10.25E, so in theory the HM being popularly regarded as TTS length, should have worked. Any suggestions for sizing here?

My "local" store (about 1.5 hours away) literally never has any wide in stock, so I am constantly having to order, try on, return, wait, repeat. Any suggestions on last that may have a better heel fitment but also allow for a somewhat higher instep / wide forefoot area?
As a fellow E-width, high instep sufferer, I understand your frustration. (The almost complete lack of non-D widths in stores is a frequent rant of mine but they ain't changing their ways.)

At the risk of over simplifying your situation, if an HM in 10.5E is too long, order the 10E. Ignore what the Brannock suggests; it merely gives us a good, but theoretical, starting point.

BTW, you might be a good candidate for a C&J boot on the 325 last in a UK 9.5E. Their "E" width is their "normal" but on that last it seems more generous than a US "D." But that's a rabbit hole you may not wish to head down. :)

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casual Friday and heading out with Mrs. Donkey tonight to celebrate 21 years. Not going anywhere fancy and just doing stupid stuff we used to do when we were 21 at the stupid places that are still around all these years later, so I'll probably just keep this combo going on. Uniqlo selvedge and SMU Oxblood Daltons with red Dainite soles from @ae_ashley. Easily my most complimented pair of shoes, which kills me since they're just my poor man's shell version for now. 22 wears in 2019 and they're finally starting to feel somewhat comfortable for extended periods, which is weird since my Sullivan Streets felt awesome in less than 10 wears.
Congrats Donkey! No small feat in the Tinder Age in which we live. Very cool Dalton's, too.

I hear you one the shape change. It is quite frustrating. For the HM, I've seen a few contributors say they size down half in length before. I presume it is in cases where overall foot length is short compared to arch length, therefore leaving space at the end of the shoe. May be worth a try in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 74 16.9%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 144 32.9%
  • 8”

Votes: 130 29.7%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 8 1.8%