• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hino

Reaction score
Random question - Someone mentioned that they replace the flat boot laces on their Higgins Mills. Does AE sell round boot laces for that many eyelets, or is there a better place to get replacements?

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random question - Someone mentioned that they replace the flat boot laces on their Higgins Mills. Does AE sell round boot laces for that many eyelets, or is there a better place to get replacements?
Guarded Goods or The Hanger Project.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These should work

michaeliany

Reaction score
Translucent Brown Edge looking beautiful in the sunlight!
I think you just sold about a dozen of these for next time.
I am thinking Patton for the RDA. Go ahead and laugh.
I haven’t bought anything for RDA yet, though some attractive pricing on the shoebank.
For the regular site, I definitely am tempted with that walnut grain Patton.

Speaking of grain, Chili grain Bradley for me today. I’m all over the place with colors.
761E99E1-AF48-47EF-B3FA-E319F09F17BB.jpeg
80A2543D-EEA6-41CC-A725-83B8FEBF7435.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Depends on your lace gap. I use the standard 48" boot laces from AE. All of my shell HMs shipped with them, as I recall. I would have swapped to them regardless. For whatever reason, I'm not seeing them on the site currently.

I personally find Guarded Good's laces too thick and waxed, making them difficult to lace. I do have some of their thinner flat laces in my suede and CXL pairs (and my 405s).

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve seen people say that the thin heel ones ruin the heels of their shoes.
If they don't know how to use trees. I've never had an issue with mine. I actually kinda prefer the narrower heeled trees...they definitely aren't stretching the heels.

SonnyUte

Reaction score
More TS goodness. I have wanted a versatile dress oxford boot for the longest time. All the input in this thread helped me decide: Fifth Streets in brown shell with flat welt, translucent brown edge. Some consider the flat welt too dainty (feminine) for men’s boots. I think it dresses them up enough to wear to my professional office with an odd jacket and trousers, which I am doing today.
I am lucky that both the 65 last (these) and the 201 last fit me well. These are comfortable right out of the box.
Love these boots on their first day of wear.

Genericuser1

Reaction score
Although ultimately I don't think I have the definitive answer you probably hope I have, I get where you're coming from and I hear you.

I also appreciate that you're engaging, because the more conversations I have with all of you of this nature, the more effective I am at relaying the collective sentiment to the leadership of AE.

We have a lot of plans coming up in the next few years that we believe will be pretty exciting for a lot of you. Not everything will be for everyone, but you'll see that we really took a lot of your feedback to heart.

...so keep it coming. ;)

Wall of text alert:

General Things:

AE does a nice job of offering a decent shoe at a decent price especially during sales, clearances and on shoebank. The other draw for me is the number of lasts AE has and the range of sizing. The combination of these two things are why most of my small collection are from AE.

I think AE has made some good changes recently and I have a feeling you are going to do more in the near future which is great, having you here as the “face” of AE is a very good and important decision.

I had never heard of AE until I found this thread so having someone knowledgeable from the company like yourself here would have been very helpful.

Product related in general:
Limited releases and Webgems are a good idea I’d even suggest paring them with some of your annual sales (but that may just be me as I don’t have the disposable income a number of our collectors here do). It’s nice to get a special make up and it helps drive sales since it’s for a limited time.

Disney vault – I’d recommend like webgems or perhaps as part of them is bringing back something from the AE vault for a short period of time.

Trunk shows – Pretty sure you have these in the pipeline but TS’s for the more meager wallet so suede, CXL, calf, kudu, rare colors and so forth.

Product Variation:
I’d like to see a few more options in color or texture (recent Strand weave was great). There are very few suede options in the bench welt line up and when you do offer them they tend to only be on one or two lasts. I would have picked up a Nomad or some others but they won’t fit me. Any reason the Strand, MacNeil and a few others don’t have 1-3 suede colors as standard options (That aren’t loden, ?

Black, walnut, brown are all well and good but once you have 2-4 of each you are less inclined to get more. You see how many navy and green shell shoes have been purchased in the past two TS’s why not have these as calf (and suede) options if only seasonally? Horween, CF Stead and lots of others have a ton of options. Navy CXL Higgins Mill? Olive Strandmok?

Kudu, football grain, scotch grain, museum calf, tweed, tartan, high polish… (the recent Nubuck and waxed have been nice)

Balmoral boot, stitched NST boot, calf and suede boot…

Last information - You need a page with a picture of all of AE’s lasts and detailed descriptions of them. New lasts are popping up and we have no idea as to fit. I’m sure when AE makes them they are looking at a previous last and adding this or that. That should be communicated to the buyer.

Education – You are doing some of this now but the new buyer needs to understand why a GYW shoe is a good investment and not just what the different welts are but why you’d choose one over another. I knew nothing about any of this until I found SF and had to learn it here.

History – I’d like to see more history about AE and I’d really, really love to have a database of every shoe AE has sold, what last it was on and what colors it was offered with. While that doesn’t directly impact sales of current shoes it’s just a really nice to have feature.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More like you've barely worn them! :D Definitely a nice design.

Yeah, I've found bloom is difficult to fully capture on camera as well.
Yes they are not too worn and hence they smell like freshly tanned shell still!! :)

Translucent Brown Edge looking beautiful in the sunlight!

I think you just sold about a dozen of these for next time.

I haven’t bought anything for RDA yet, though some attractive pricing on the shoebank.
For the regular site, I definitely am tempted with that walnut grain Patton.

Speaking of grain, Chili grain Bradley for me today. I’m all over the place with colors.
View attachment 1256302View attachment 1256301
Is that an acrylic crystal Rolex? Possibly a 1680 Submariner?

That faded tritium on the minutes and hands is spectacular!!

More TS goodness. I have wanted a versatile dress oxford boot for the longest time. All the input in this thread helped me decide: Fifth Streets in brown shell with flat welt, translucent brown edge. Some consider the flat welt too dainty (feminine) for men’s boots. I think it dresses them up enough to wear to my professional office with an odd jacket and trousers, which I am doing today.
I am lucky that both the 65 last (these) and the 201 last fit me well. These are comfortable right out of the box.
Love these boots on their first day of wear. View attachment 1256391View attachment 1256392View attachment 1256393

UGH! Those are perfection. They turned out VERY well. I am beginning to enjoy brown shell more and more!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, still trying to sell my 11D MacNeil in burgundy shell (ravello shade now)... Price drop, asking $275+shipping. Really would like to move these!

PM me. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.