• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many people have had these shoes especially 65 last rub your ankle bone?

I bought two shoes, both hit my left ankle bone, the second shoe I ordered recently didn't rub as much but still, I decided to keep them because if I put some thin gel heel pads, the problem is solved, that's all fine and dandy, but it shouldn't be like that.

I haven't broken them in yet.

Why do these shoes always have problems like this or is my anatomy. People say is leather needs to be broken, if that's the case then why is always my left ankle bone and not the right one? Not sure if is an anatomy issue or the shoes.

I think is anatomy as I owned cheap calvin klein dress shoes and the same happened but in both ankle bones.

How annoying you spend hundreds, get excited only for the shoes to cause pain? and you have to resort to ghetto modifications just to be comfortable, shouldn't be like that
It can be a thing if you have protruding ankle bones. And some lasts run deeper than others. With the 65, mine come close to rubbing with the top binding of the collar, and coincidentally especially the left. No real problems though that would call for a remedy. Ski boots, now that's a different story as by the end of a full day skiing, they're like wearing two bear traps for me. And why I prefer golf. lol.

If your situation is the same with shoes, perhaps an insert of some kind may lift them enough above the collar to avoid the rubbing. As it stands, sounds like you found a remedy, and albeit homemade, don't feel bad as from what I've been reading there are many little tweaks made to accommodate shoes to feet by members here.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, if you were hypothetically invited to a hypothetical tour of the hypothetial West hypothetical Wing of the alleged White House....

Broadstreet (walnut/bone), Strand (walnut), Bourbon Dalton, or Olive Strandmok?

The answer is Olive Strandmok. And RUMINT is the oval thingamajig has been under renovation and possibly done. so you know.

The horse is definitely NOT going. Even I know my limits. :hide:
Dude! Answer is blood soaked Sturgis.

'Murica!

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly my friend Roger is now retired from the USSS and so dropping the name of a FORMER presidential personal detail leader doesn't really hold as much weight as dropping the name of a CURRENT one. I therefore feel this may be a futile effort and opt to stay solo on the trip. :hide:
Emotional Support Ferret.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought two shoes, both hit my left ankle bone, the second shoe I ordered recently didn't rub as much but still, I decided to keep them because if I put some thin gel heel pads, the problem is solved, that's all fine and dandy, but it shouldn't be like that.

Why do these shoes always have problems like this or is my anatomy. People say is leather needs to be broken, if that's the case then why is always my left ankle bone and not the right one? Not sure if is an anatomy issue or the shoes.

I think is anatomy as I owned cheap calvin klein dress shoes and the same happened but in both ankle bones.

How annoying you spend hundreds, get excited only for the shoes to cause pain? and you have to resort to ghetto modifications just to be comfortable, shouldn't be like that
Unfortunately, I think it may be an anatomy cause since you say you have had the issue with other brands as well. It is feasible that it may discontinue after a period of wear, but if it is a pretty drastic pain, I probably wouldn't bank on it. If the thin gel heelpad works, I say roll with it! Alternatively, perhaps try some boots instead of shoes?

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@armedferret Yeah, it's no Kim K sex tape, but it's a start...
But i dont need a comeback story yet. :hide:

And those who dont get that joke need to look up Parks and Rec Kim Kardashian on youtube.

Adult humour tho.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hate to break the bad news but it looks like the Voyager is a better seller than the MacNeil. Hurts just a little bit.

Rufian

Reaction score
It can be a thing if you have protruding ankle bones. And some lasts run deeper than others. With the 65, mine come close to rubbing with the top binding of the collar, and coincidentally especially the left. No real problems though that would call for a remedy. Ski boots, now that's a different story as by the end of a full day skiing, they're like wearing two bear traps for me. And why I prefer golf. lol.

If your situation is the same with shoes, perhaps an insert of some kind may lift them enough above the collar to avoid the rubbing. As it stands, sounds like you found a remedy, and albeit homemade, don't feel bad as from what I've been reading there are many little tweaks made to accommodate shoes to feet by members here.
yes that's what I did I bought gel heel pads and it solves the issue

I also bought a sock with a protective gel inside that protects the ankle bone, it gives extra protection just in case, annoying having to wear all these just to wear shoes comfortably but such is life

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ProfilaBinding I have Brown Fifth Streets coming and Bourbon Daltons. Where is this spreadsheet? I can add mine to it.

Went with flat welt on the Daltons, second guessing myself if I should have went with storm welt.
I personally think you made the right choice, but there's no right or wrong answer with the welt in your situation. I'm just not a big fan of the reverse welt.

I've had this problem a few times, but only when I went up 1/2 size from my usual size. I have a PA where I feel this a little bit, and I used to have a Leeds where I felt this a lot (I later sold it). I'll add that it took me a long time to break in my Higgins at the ankle area because I have big boney ankles.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.