• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown edge (not welt) is definitely lighter and the picture does represent that (look at the midsole area, not the welt). I don't know if the picture shows buff and buff, but that's what I specified on my bourbon order for both welt and edge. In the trunk show samples for buff edge, I was told the welt color was chili.
There were no buff samples. Only translucent. Buff is very blonde, much brighter than translucent brown. No chili welts.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Ed note: I’m a terrible judge of character, so they could be sociopaths).

ShadyTenderBaboon-size_restricted.gif

Also: @armedferret has a thousand yard stare, but it might have been the bourbon.

ShadyTenderBaboon-size_restricted.gif

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Brown edge is not lighter than buff.

This is buff (confirmed by Ashley):

View attachment 1244840

It would have been even cooler if they offered that contrast stitching on the welt. I guess I could have a good cobbler change it in the future though. Would the cobbler need to take off the entire sole in order to change the thread color?

Gertoshav

Reaction score
Nobody should be applying chili welts or edges.

Everyone has been given very specific ordering directions and the appropriate corresponding welt for each possible choice. There is a technical term for each choice, meaning there is a welt color for a flat trans brown edge and a different one for a trans brown edge with a storm welt, so on and so forth. The welt color isn't open for customization, it automatically is assigned according to your welt/edge combination.
Acknowledged, thanks for the clarification Ashley. Could we please get further clarification on what welt color gets assigned to what?
Flat welt + translucent brown edge = ? welt color
Storm welt + translucent brown edge = ? welt color
Flat welt + buff edge = ? welt color
Storm welt + buff edge = ? welt color

Gertoshav

Reaction score
There were no buff samples. Only translucent. Buff is very blonde, much brighter than translucent brown. No chili welts.
Thanks Ashley. At the DC store I was told that the Shaved samples has Chili flat welts with Buff edge. What color exactly were they?

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acknowledged, thanks for the clarification Ashley. Could we please get further clarification on what welt color gets assigned to what?
Flat welt + translucent brown edge = ? welt color
Storm welt + translucent brown edge = ? welt color
Flat welt + buff edge = ? welt color
Storm welt + buff edge = ? welt color

They are all just production lingo, and it wouldn't make a ton of sense to post. Brown gets brown, buff gets buff, black gets black, but there are specific ones they need to be selecting for each one. That's all.

For example, a translucent brown edge with flat welt would be coded as "regular brown"
But a translucent with storm welt is "dyd thru split rev brown"

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All the welt and edge color talk is making my head swim. I am so happy that I just asked for translucent brown. I will trust AE to make a shoe that is pleasing to the eye.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are all just production lingo, and it wouldn't make a ton of sense to post. Brown gets brown, buff gets buff, black gets black, but there are specific ones they need to be selecting for each one. That's all.

For example, a translucent brown edge with flat welt would be coded as "regular brown"
But a translucent with storm welt is "dyd thru split rev"

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But a translucent with storm welt is "dyd thru split rev brown"
From what I'm gathering, and to eliminate the "oops" factor... To put in layman's terms, everything matches. :hide:

Last edited:

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the welt and edge color talk is making my head swim. I am so happy that I just asked for translucent brown. I will trust AE to make a shoe that is pleasing to the eye.
I'll send an email just making sure everyone understands. It's all good.

As I said before, with great customization comes great responsibility...it's a lot to remember. These associates are working really hard and are SO excited to be helping you all. They're killing it. We just threw a lot of options out there. The confusion needs to be cleared up but it's fixable and understandable in my humble opinion.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going by the spreadsheet anyway, no style has been ordered in every color. Two, the Dundee and Strand, each have five. With Dundee lacking an antique cherry and Strand a navy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads