1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by St Hubbins, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Christopher Alan

Christopher Alan Senior Member

I was just discussing this issue in general. I didn’t mean to come across as though I was assuming you didn’t know any of that. It’s more of a clarification for anyone in the forum that happens to read it.

In my opinion, it’s misleading for any seller to use the word “cordovan” if they’re not referring to the leather “shell cordovan.” That’s because as you suggest sellers are probably well aware of the association, so if they’re using “cordovan” and the shoes are not shell, they’re probably trying to mislead an unsuspecting (and uneducated) buyer.

2. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

Some time ago, I sold a pair of Hanover 2556 on eBay. I described it as a “Tassel Goodyear welt slip on made with Kipskin leather in Hanover’s rich cordovan color.” I was being accurate but still got a lot of that ain’t no shell messages.

3. savvysartorial

savvysartorial Distinguished Member

Non-AE question!

How many of you have a pair of Clarks shoes? I'm referring to the Wallabee boot or the Desert Boot.

I have a pair of suede Wallabees that I have had for many years. Extremely comfortable crepe sole and I love the look under a pair of chinos or jeans for a casual but smartly dressed outfit. I feel it's a pretty well constructed shoe compared to the sub par construction so prevalent these days.

It's the only shoe outside of a couple pairs of Sperry's that I own that aren't GYW... aka AE or Alden :fistbump:

4. OmBom

OmBom Senior Member

02878F38-7ED4-4E6C-A121-33F4C1E2A9BF.jpeg These earned a “nice shoes” complement from the shoe shine man in our office bldg. (no sunlight available, and spoiler still does not work on this iphone)

edit: Florsheim with AE Dawhyde waxed laces.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019

5. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

They say they have not changed the Wallabee but new they feel like half the weight of the pair I had 20 plus years ago. If you got an old pair, keep as long as you can.

6. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

PB has the lacing around the throat of the shoe, but not leading into the tassel:
    9F75082A-50D5-4D43-85FF-0CD3B4ABC612.jpeg
    Compare to Acheson that has the throat lacing and also lacing into the tassel:
    7412BDDC-0E48-4D5C-A5D6-4A2641D98F1D.jpeg

7. Christopher Alan

Christopher Alan Senior Member

That certainly would be an accurate description. It’s a color. Once you get a good amount of experience with shoe polishes in the area of purple/burgundy from different brands, you will accept “cordovan” as a color on your spectrum of color options. Why? That’s the name many shoe polish manufacturers use to describe that color. For example, Kelly’s has a “Cordovan” color of polish, and Meltonian’s color 78 is “Cordovan.” With enough experience, you’ll start referring to the color referred to by the polish makers as “cordovan” using the same term.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019

8. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

This was my thought as well, but I thought maybe he was meaning even the sides are bare. @orange fury care to clarify? :p My understanding is you like the PB, though maybe the added visual interest washes away the lack of lacing where as the Perg has not the weaving.

9. audog

audog Distinguished Member

Had a pair of Desert Boots, they fit great in the shoe store, but after wearing them for more than a couple of hours, my feet began to hurt (a lot). I did manage to sell them, for a slight loss, and put that money towards a pair of 5th Ave's (which I still have).

10. Bertie Wooster

Bertie Wooster Active Member

They have definitely changed the wallabee in the past couple of years. A Clark's SA told me so directly.

11. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

I had a pair of grey suede DBs. They were ok, but I feel like my Sonorans have more support than they did. Soles get just as grimy though!
    I got rid of them when I found an avalanche of shoes offered in wide widths!

12. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

I’m actually not a fan of the Maxfield or Shreier for similar reasons- they look like they should be penny loafers and the tassel was a superfluous afterthought. The Palm Beach and Cody are different for me. On the Palm Beach, it has the lacing around the throat, but even if it didn’t, there’s so much visual interest from the weave that it’s balanced out. Plus, the tassel is very complimentary to the weave imho- I felt this was a stronger shoe than the Sarasota, where I thought the strap looked “abrupt” I guess against the weave. The Cody is similar- it has the throat lacing, but it also has a ton of visual interest up front with the kiltie.

TL;dr- throat lacing balances out the shoe. Without it, the toe of the shoe looks top heavy or like stuff was slapped on as an afterthought.

13. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Good point. This is a great example of being incorrectly listed as shell cordovan when it is polished cobbler. 9147 MacNeils. Here is the seller.

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 2.09.48 PM.png

14. liquidjelly

liquidjelly Senior Member

IMG_20190118_165810.jpg IMG_20190118_165915.jpg IMG_20190118_165902.jpg

My own massdrop chukkas came in - no way I'd keep these, even if they offered me a 50$ refund. I'm going to see if they'll refund me, despite the non-return policy.

Heel counter on the left shoe isn't straight - it slopes to the right. There's a piece of leather that wasn't also cut off correctly.

Pictures not included - glue/burnishing marks that won't brush out with the suede brush. The marks I could live with, but the heel counter is the most distressing part of all of this.

15. audog

audog Distinguished Member

Were these firsts??? or sold as AE seconds?