• We would like to welcome LuxGentleman as an official Affiliate Vendor. LuxGentleman offers Neapolitan sartorial brands such as Isaia, Kiton, Borrelli, Sartoria Partenopea, D'Avenza, and Attolini, and Italian luxury brands like Loro Piana, Zegna, Canali, Cucinelli and Brioni at great prices. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on the matter, but its been discussed (in past versions of this forum) quite a bit. If I'm not mistaken it basically falls into one of 3 reasons:

• Defect in manufacturing, (it seems there was a brief period of time some years ago when this was prevalent, but has since subsided).
  • Improper size.
  • Last does not work with that foot.
I have a feeling the OP needs to go up in width for general volume issues, ie I think his foot is pushing out at the instep the base of the heel cup.
Also orthotics cause it

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on the matter, but its been discussed (in past versions of this forum) quite a bit. If I'm not mistaken it basically falls into one of 3 reasons:

• Defect in manufacturing, (it seems there was a brief period of time some years ago when this was prevalent, but has since subsided).
  • Improper size.
  • Last does not work with that foot.
I have a feeling the OP needs to go up in width for general volume issues, ie I think his foot is pushing out at the instep the base of the heel cup.
Thanks for the really detailed reply. I think I know what you mean regarding the manufacturing defect. I have seen some AE shoes where it looks like the throat of the shoe is significantly enlarged. That wasn't the case with the pair I had in hand. I have had this issue with just a couple of other lasts as well --- of the top of head, the worst offender was Alden's Leydon last, which is one of their more narrow ones I think. The 97 last, however, isn't known to run narrow. Maybe to your point the last just doesnt work for me or I need an E. I should go try some more sizes one of these days... My local store seems to have a thin selection of widths now, unfortunately. Anyway, thanks for your comment.

SonnyUte

Reaction score
I can’t believe I finally caught up on AE thread! I didn’t want to miss any TS 19.2 news, especially those chili pics we are all waiting for from @ae_ashley , so I read every post. This thread is awesome, guys.
Thinking two pair:
Strand in chili, double JR sole, flat welt and sole edge in buff
Fifth Street in chili, reverse welt in translucent edge, v tread
Maybe a third: navy Bayfield.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the really detailed reply. I think I know what you mean regarding the manufacturing defect. I have seen some AE shoes where it looks like the throat of the shoe is significantly enlarged. That wasn't the case with the pair I had in hand. I have had this issue with just a couple of other lasts as well --- of the top of head, the worst offender was Alden's Leydon last, which is one of their more narrow ones I think. The 97 last, however, isn't known to run narrow. Maybe to your point the last just doesnt work for me or I need an E. I should go try some more sizes one of these days... My local store seems to have a thin selection of widths now, unfortunately. Anyway, thanks for your comment.
I think it would be ideal if you can go try a variety of lasts; you'll need to get in touch with your SA to give them time to bring in non-D sizes in most cases.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t believe I finally caught up on AE thread! I didn’t want to miss any TS 19.2 news, especially those chili pics we are all waiting for from @ae_ashley , so I read every post. This thread is awesome, guys.
Thinking two pair:
Strand in chili, double JR sole, flat welt and sole edge in buff
Fifth Street in chili, reverse welt in translucent edge, v tread
Maybe a third: navy Bayfield.
Yeah. It’s great huh?
I’m currently thinking 3, but could even be 4...

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Imagine a Dublin Trunk Show... Dublin ... MacNeil!
That’s what the Gramercy was. A Chestnut Dublin Macneil. AE did some third party thing with Urban somebody and produced Dublin versions of the McAllister, Macneil, and something else, all rebranded with different names. That’s one of my Top 5 shoe regrets, not getting a Gramercy that lingered in my size in the Shoebank system in the pre-website day’s.

A reissued Gramercy, or a trunk show option for a Dublin Macneil, would be great.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I mentioned the olive green Gustin denim that’s currently available at a great price. I’m wearing my pair today, so here’s that denim in the wild — with acorn kudu suede Caens.
View attachment 1229123
Personal favorite color pairing.

Uncommon sighting for these, have some shit kicking to do today.

874F6FC2-D2E3-412F-BF04-24B524132B76.jpeg

34467D14-F785-43F9-8C70-804FEB331342.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all, but a few of the styles being offered are shown here so I thought I'd put it up for easy comparison.
I wish McAllister were in this

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I bought a pair of madras trousers, and then followed that up with a madras sports coat.
I already shared a picture of the trousers. Today I gave the sports coat a try. I wore the McAllisters with this combination today.
What do you think? I’m wondering if navy trousers wouldn’t look better.
17744448-A5E6-4EE3-940E-D83513FC43F1.jpeg
FA2AFA61-D243-4E99-BF41-6944667191F0.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.