• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

tcbinnc

Reaction score
@instigateur @madhat @ace13x @Shoenut @michaeliany

Pics as promised yesterday. These are black calf. The fit feels a little better today than it did two days ago. Here are the pics. View attachment 1229210View attachment 1229211View attachment 1229212View attachment 1229213

As an added bonus, pics of my 9.5E 3 year old strands to show creasing.

Thoughts on fit? We’re the 9.5Es the correct size? How do the 9.5Ds look?

View attachment 1229214View attachment 1229215

I should note that I have pretty high arches.
I would like to see the E's on you. I don't yet have strands but do have high arches too. In the black pair you are wearing it seems a lot of your instep is exposed which now gives me pause about Strands for me. But, I don't think It shows that way for me in my McAllister or Fifth Avenue pairs which are also the 65 last. Now I have to go look. Aint this fun? Good luck.

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@instigateur @madhat @ace13x @Shoenut @michaeliany

Pics as promised yesterday. These are black calf. The fit feels a little better today than it did two days ago. Here are the pics. View attachment 1229210View attachment 1229211View attachment 1229212View attachment 1229213

As an added bonus, pics of my 9.5E 3 year old strands to show creasing.

Thoughts on fit? We’re the 9.5Es the correct size? How do the 9.5Ds look?

View attachment 1229214View attachment 1229215

I should note that I have pretty high arches.
IMO, its borderline too wide a lace gap, but it's not terrible and will improve a tiny bit with break-in. A bit more troublesome is the bowing at the topline. That might get worse over time. Throw in you think they're a bit tight in the heels and I think its worth it to give 9E's a try.

TinMan3

Reaction score
IMO, its borderline too wide a lace gap, but it's not terrible and will improve a tiny bit with break-in. A bit more troublesome is the bowing at the topline. That might get worse over time. Throw in you think they're a bit tight in the heels and I think its worth it to give 9E's a try.
Can you explain what you mean by bowing at the top line? Sorry 😐 lol

TinMan3

Reaction score
View attachment 1229415

Technically, the bowing begins in the quarter, but it's most evident at the topline. And like I said, its very slight right now.

View attachment 1229416View attachment 1229417

Here are some more egregious examples:

View attachment 1229419View attachment 1229418
Awesome thanks for pointing that out. I hadn’t noticed that yet, but I think that would be a big deal for me down the road. I had 9Es on the way so we will see if those offer any improvement. Thanks again!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Ace that the bone looks like it's pushing the topline out more than usual. However, it if feels good, I wouldn't change sizes. Your V gap to me looks totally fine and normal (coming from a guy who has wide V gaps on a lot of his shoes). I wouldn't worry about the V gap at all and would be more concerned with how they feel on your feet.

Edit: Trying another size never hurts though. It's always a good idea to test other sizes.

stook1

Reaction score
I should know this, I guess, but what typically is the cause of bowing at the topline? Too narrow in the midfoot? This is exactly the issue that caused me to have to resell a pair of Macneils that I restored recently. I really dislike how that looks and even though they were comfortable and a really nice pair of shell macneils, they found a new home with another SF member.

Lionel Hutz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd add the 5th Ave. It would give the shoe a very different look than usual. WIth just the brogue cap it could be interesting.
for me its not the broguing its that the marbling on the toe cap leather inevitably wouldn't match the marbling on the vamp and I would find that jarring like if the veins on adjacent slabs of marble weren't aligned

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should know this, I guess, but what typically is the cause of bowing at the topline? Too narrow in the midfoot? This is exactly the issue that caused me to have to resell a pair of Macneils that I restored recently. I really dislike how that looks and even though they were comfortable and a really nice pair of shell macneils, they found a new home with another SF member.
I'm not an expert on the matter, but its been discussed (in past versions of this forum) quite a bit. If I'm not mistaken it basically falls into one of 3 reasons:

• Defect in manufacturing, (it seems there was a brief period of time some years ago when this was prevalent, but has since subsided).
  • Improper size.
  • Last does not work with that foot.
I have a feeling the OP needs to go up in width for general volume issues, ie I think his foot is pushing out at the instep the base of the heel cup.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1229415

Technically, the bowing begins in the quarter, but it's most evident at the topline. And like I said, its very slight right now.

View attachment 1229416View attachment 1229417

Here are some more egregious examples:

View attachment 1229419View attachment 1229418
I agree with Ace that the bone looks like it's pushing the topline out more than usual. However, it if feels good, I wouldn't change sizes. Your V gap to me looks totally fine and normal (coming from a guy who has wide V gaps on a lot of his shoes). I wouldn't worry about the V gap at all and would be more concerned with how they feel on your feet.

Edit: Trying another size never hurts though. It's always a good idea to test other sizes.
@TinMan3
It seems to me that the high arch is going to make you make a compromise for fit on the 65 last. My biggest concern is flexing the shoe at the throat line of the shoe. I would think that may cause the leather to bend back on the foot and cause some pain. If you want to try on a pair of shoes with a good amount of instep room just go to Nordstrom and try on To Boot from New York and Magnanni. Then we can steer you into something like a Grant Stone or some of the Carmina lasts. Alden also has lasts that are good for high insteps. We have plenty of great members who have some AE with other brands because of fit. Now, about the bowing, Ace gives three reasons and just ask any guy with flat pronating feet, no one is gonna make a shoe with my shape of foot. It would be ugly, so the bowing on my shoes is vast. Solution for me is full break pregnant pants. Unfashionable but it does cover the top line.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patriot’s this fine morning.
5C0D6C18-F28E-408E-A39B-AC599956C942.jpeg

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going with my TS2019.1 purchase.
2C2ADBB4-F9B5-4CDA-B795-4568F2E288BA.jpeg

Love walking in these.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.