• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

woofmang

Reaction score
Is that true on the live recordings as well? Pretty sure, no - but maybe i'm wrong. Lengthy portions of You cant do that on stage anymore, for instance, seem improvised.
The reason Zappa rehearsed his bands so often, for so long, and with such intense focus, was that a lot of his music (which was notoriously technically challenging) was written to sound improvised*, but the dead giveaway is that many times, if you listen carefully, there's more than one instrument playing the exact same "improvised" line. I've stiudied a bunch of his scores, and it's amazing how precisely everything was notated (and how complicated that notation could get).

* And I think a fair amount of it started as improvisation: Zappa's own. In other words, a lot of what the Mothers played was "orchestrated" versions of riffs that Zappa made up as he went along.

stook1

Reaction score
The reason Zappa rehearsed his bands so often, for so long, and with such intense focus, was that a lot of his music (which was notoriously technically challenging) was written to sound improvised*, but the dead giveaway is that many times, if you listen carefully, there's more than one instrument playing the exact same "improvised" line. I've stiudied a bunch of his scores, and it's amazing how precisely everything was notated (and how complicated that notation could get).

* And I think a fair amount of it started as improvisation: Zappa's own. In other words, a lot of what the Mothers played was "orchestrated" versions of riffs that Zappa made up as he went along.
How interesting - thanks, didn't know that...

Lionel Hutz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hollywood Nights.....

Out well past my usual 9:00pm bedtime and wearing walnut Lombards while standing behind the yellow line waiting for the next Red Line train.

IMG_2119.jpeg

Here's a 2011 Allen-Edmonds catalog page showing the Lombards, which have a 270 degree, rather than a 360 degree, welt.

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 10.48.41 AM.jpeg

If a split reverse welt is a heavyweight welt is a 270 degree welt a welterweight welt?

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures and for those who may be wondering why I was out past my bedtime, went to see Craig Owens "Haunted Los Angeles" presentation at Diehl Marcus & Co in East Hollywood.

IMG_2120.jpeg

Yes, I know my shoes don't show very much in this picture, but I like this picture. Craig Owens is on the right in this picture.

For those who want to see more of the shoes, another picture from tonight.

IMG_2123.jpeg

One last picture, for those who still think shoes and belts should match, wore the belt Leatherman made for me around ten years ago, which has my initials embroidered in four places spaced evenly around the belt.

P1140659.jpeg

Sincerest apologies to those who may have been looking forward to a food picture, don't have any food picture from tonight. Hope the other pictures make up for the lack of food pictures.

Yes, I wore white pants on the Orange Line bus and on the Red Line subway. If worse comes to worse, have a $10.00 off coupon from the cleaners.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hollywood Nights.....

Out well past my usual 9:00pm bedtime and wearing walnut Lombards while standing behind the yellow line waiting for the next Red Line train.

View attachment 1225766

Yes, I wore white pants on the Orange Line bus and on the Red Line subway.
...after standing behind the Yellow Line
classic roycru post!

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It feels a little weird replying to my own post, but since I was wearing the Mackenzies yesterday, that keeps the following story about what happened after work last night on topic:

Last night, I had a new experience: a "house concert." My wife is old friends with Rob Fetters (co-founder, with Adrian Belew, of The Bears), and he invited her to come to a house concert (basically, a one-man show) that he was going to put on at his niece's house. Apparently, this is something he's been doing lately and having lots of fun with.

He brings along a PA system, a few guitars, a bewildering array of stomp boxes, and a digital multitrack machine on which are tracks from various of his recording projects (several of which featured solo work by a couple of my favorite guitarists, Adrian Belew and Robert Fripp) that he uses as backing tracks to the live performance.

It was a great show. I've always thought Rob was a fine guitarist and songwriter, but he really outdid himself last night, and he told lots of great stories (like the one about going to LA in the late 70s to hook up with a girl he thought was in love with him, only to find out that she was really in love with Jackson Browne's brother, and not having enough time to process that before being invited by his buddy Adrian to come watch him rehearse with Frank Zappa and the Mothers and having Frank ask him for a ride back to Laurel Canyon)...

A great time was had by all (about 30 people attended), and after the show, Rob told me and Frances that he was playing a gig in the park today at noon in Cincinnati and then doing another house concert tonight at another niece's house near Columbus, and another gig or two tomorrow. Apparently, he's busier now that he's not playing regularly with a band any more, and I'm guessing he's doing pretty well with these house concerts: as I said, there were about 30 people there, and ticket prices were between $27 (pre-sale, which was what my wife bought for us*) and $35 (regular price), so he grossed ~$1,000 for the night.

(*He actually put us on the guest list, but the wife wanted to support him and bought tickets - which nobody asked for us for - anyway. In any event, it was well worth the money.)
That sounds like a great night. Always refreshing to hear great music

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.