• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s a follow-up to this morning.
I had tried to get a Hubbins shot, but it was blurry and unusable.

This is for fans of giants pictured with AEs. I’m 6’4” and this guy dwarfs me.
View attachment 1225066

Looking spiffy!! Funny how a massive guy can make a tall guy look short! Saw a photo of a 6'10'' guy next to a 7'3''. The 6'10'' looked short, but they're both HUGE!

All about perspective :)

Vintage shell Friday. J&M skimocs View attachment 1225219

Those are NICE! Don't see many beef roll type loafers, especially in shell!

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a pair made in the trunk show w left and right foot in different widths?

Would love to weigh in, but I just don't know...

Paging @ae_ashley for assistance.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been throwing around this trunker big time... Still been job searching so it's a hard pill to swallow to not get engaged in this event...

Fell asleep last night thinking about a Fifth Street boot. :slapfight: Always wanted one, always begged for one and now I am getting cold feet.

Paging @madhat for some intelligent advice! I do really wish that the boot was a true balmoral with a line running from front to back of the boot, however that is a minor quibble.

How does one's foot go into a balmoral boot with no speed laces? I know it's 65 last but have never tried it on and have never had my foot into a balmoral, only blucher.

Is the toe cap longer like the Strand or is a bit stubby like the Fifth Avenue? That's one thing I like about the Alden versions, their caps are a bit longer (looks nice on a larger foot).

Would you be so kind as to dredge up some photos of your gorgeous brown (shell?) pair for me?

I would LOVE to have this look:

I know it has that true balmoral line, but the TRUE dress boot is so elegant. The more I type this, the more I'm convincing myself I need a pair... *sigh*

Thanks for listening to my rambles.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been throwing around this trunker big time... Still been job searching so it's a hard pill to swallow to not get engaged in this event...

Fell asleep last night thinking about a Fifth Street boot. :slapfight: Always wanted one, always begged for one and now I am getting cold feet.

Paging @madhat for some intelligent advice! I do really wish that the boot was a true balmoral with a line running from front to back of the boot, however that is a minor quibble.

How does one's foot go into a balmoral boot with no speed laces? I know it's 65 last but have never tried it on and have never had my foot into a balmoral, only blucher.

Is the toe cap longer like the Strand or is a bit stubby like the Fifth Avenue? That's one thing I like about the Alden versions, their caps are a bit longer (looks nice on a larger foot).

Would you be so kind as to dredge up some photos of your gorgeous brown (shell?) pair for me?

View attachment 1225377

I know it has that true balmoral line, but the TRUE dress boot is so elegant. The more I type this, the more I'm convincing myself I need a pair... *sigh*

I’ve never noticed that a strand and fifth avenue have different toe cap lengths. I’ll have to check that later

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1225377

As much as we kid, I'm never going to advocate someone put themselves in a bad place financially. There'll be another one. I promise.
That said, if you decide it's doable I'll definitely be joining you in buying a Fifth St!
I have several oxford laced boots with all eyelets; you will be pulling the laces more open or possibly even pulling out the top eyelet.
Here's a comparo of brown Strands vs Fifth St. Cap is definitely shorter.
20190817_114125.jpg
20190203_103836.jpg
20190303_130753.jpg
20190130_122750.jpg
20190110_102948.jpg

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1225377

You need a pair

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve never noticed that a strand and fifth avenue have different toe cap lengths. I’ll have to check that later

Yes, the Strand's is slightly longer akin to the Alden captoe models. The shorter cap can look out of place on a larger foot on AE's models.

As much as we kid, I'm never going to advocate someone put themselves in a bad place financially. There'll be another one. I promise.
That said, if you decide it's doable I'll definitely be joining you in buying a Fifth St!
I have several oxford laced boots with all eyelets; you will be pulling the laces more open or possibly even pulling out the top eyelet.
Here's a comparo of brown Strands vs Fifth St. Cap is definitely shorter.
View attachment 1225416 View attachment 1225417 View attachment 1225418 View attachment 1225420 View attachment 1225421

MMMM those look good! THANK YOU for the photos.

Thank you, I have a month to try and crunch numbers and see where things stand. Really curious to see what chili looks like as well.

The cap is definitely shorter (as I thought), but it does look a bit longer than the Fifth Avenue which can get extremely stubby at times. I also really like that the medallion on the toe looks different than the Strand or Cambridge (big plus). I am really intrigued by it and am interested to see how things play out.

It's basically a taller Park Ave/Fifth Ave from what I see. The balmoral part is interesting because the shaft will have a lot less volume (presumably) than the Dalton, for example.

I wish we could get a model like this, with the true bal line. It would kick the Fifth Street into another dimension.

picked up a grail of mine recently from eBay - Jefferson 1.0 from someone who probably wore these less than 10 times.

Feels real good.

View attachment 1225423

Those look great. I do love the wheeling along with the lack of pinking/perfing along the heel cup.

You need a pair

Filthy, filthy weasel.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1225377

sounds like you need a push!

th-2.jpeg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Strand's is slightly longer akin to the Alden captoe models. The shorter cap can look out of place on a larger foot on AE's models.

MMMM those look good! THANK YOU for the photos.

Thank you, I have a month to try and crunch numbers and see where things stand. Really curious to see what chili looks like as well.

The cap is definitely shorter (as I thought), but it does look a bit longer than the Fifth Avenue which can get extremely stubby at times. I also really like that the medallion on the toe looks different than the Strand or Cambridge (big plus). I am really intrigued by it and am interested to see how things play out.

It's basically a taller Park Ave/Fifth Ave from what I see. The balmoral part is interesting because the shaft will have a lot less volume (presumably) than the Dalton, for example.

I wish we could get a model like this, with the true bal line. It would kick the Fifth Street into another dimension.

View attachment 1225453

Those look great. I do love the wheeling along with the lack of pinking/perfing along the heel cup.

Filthy, filthy weasel.

View attachment 1225457
I'm loving the idea of a Fifth Street in some of that sweet sweet AE navy shell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads