• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

stook1

Reaction score
I avoid FB and have never seen their page; I hear it's a cesspool.

I've only been over to r/Goodyearwelt when someone links to a post.
That makes two of us. I distrust facebook and don't like being a product. I don't currently and never have had a facebook profile. I generally feel like I am among the last people alive without an account --- apparently we are in it together. :fistbump:

stook1

Reaction score
a Strand with a storm welt, may just be the kind of cool and unique vibe you’re looking for.
Wanted to react to this... I have an old pair of Elgins that I don't have relevant photos to demonstrate my point at the moment. However, the Elgin is basically a rough collection strand with a natural edge and storm welt. The upper is sort of like a waxed walnut calf - mine are basically regular old calf now with age and care, etc. I am not absolutely sure, technically, what type of leather it is.

At any rate, with some wear and tear, the welt and edge blend better with the upper and it's a good casual look for the strand. Would it be good with a shell strand? I am not too sure. But I do like the Elgin. It's one of these shoes that on paper seems like it shouldn't work but I have gotten a lot of casual wear out of mine over the years.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else casually browse the Allen Edmonds Enthusiasts Facebook group?

I find the differences between that community and this one to be pretty fascinating. You have a very large group of active users on the Facebook group - probably 10 times or more the active users of the AEAT, but many of those users are guys just getting into the GYW shoe game.

The AEAT in contrast has probably the most condensed source of brand knowledge outside of the company itself, and if I had to guess the amount of money spent between the users of the FB group and the AEAT are probably pretty close, even given the stark difference in number of users.

I don't think the FB group came even close to the $70,000+ that the AEAT spent on the previous trunk show, for example.
I posted there a few times. Then some ass hat made some comment about the crease in my pants not being to his liking and I bailed. I don’t have time for such horse crap. Not that I’m bitter or anything.

BFT9000

Reaction score
I posted there a few times. Then some ass hat made some comment about the crease in my pants not being to his liking and I bailed. I don’t have time for such horse crap. Not that I’m bitter or anything.
I've posted a few times as well. Every single time someone has to take a crack at how I lace my Strands...

I mean, can you get any more boring than straight-lacing your dress oxfords? Just thinking about it bores me to sleep. No offense to anybody who does so, of course 😝.

Last edited:

stook1

Reaction score
I've posted a few times as well. Every single time someone has to take a crack at how I lace my Strands...

I mean, Jesus, can you get any more boring than straight-lacing your dress oxfords? Just thinking about it bores me to sleep. No offense to anybody who does so, of course 😝.
I'll see myself out now. heheh. I did say I was just kidding!!

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread-2019-news-pictures-clothing-accessories-etc.641227/page-1507#post-9842532

BFT9000

Reaction score

goalaso

Reaction score
A storm or split reverse welt provides some greater degree of foul weather protection while giving the shoe or boot a stronger, more stable appearance and at the same time decreasing its perceived formality.

Don’t overthink it too much though except perhaps when etiquette is paramount. Many seemingly contradictory combinations yet attractive examples exist in the footwear kingdom. For instance, the ever popular Indy boot with its 270 storm welt. And if you’d like to see a beautiful example of a medallion toe oxford with an all around storm welt, pop over to Frans Boone and find their black strait tip. So don’t be afraid to play around with the welt options if given the chance. After all, a Leeds with a flat welt or a Strand with a storm welt, may just be the kind of cool and unique vibe you’re looking for.
My understanding has always been that AE "split reverse/storm welt" is not a true storm welt, and doesn't offer any increased weather protection compared to, say, a flat welt. It does look good on lots of models, and I think that's the point.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about split-reverse welt do fans of it like?
I skew heavily to casual wear, and the reverse welt is good for that. Also, I like the heavier look. I heart gunboats!
Excellent news, weasels!

I regretted not ordering Burgundy Strands last time around, but now I'm debating Chili instead since I have Oxblood Strands already.

For Navy, what's the favorite non-boot pairing?
I gotta say MacNeil is Navy hotness. I was so close to one earlier this year!
Since @EZB corrected me, I think I'm going to build a fifth street in black shell with a buff reverse welt and commando sole. And maybe maybe a Randolph as a sister summer pair to them. And a scuffed Leeds on dainite with flat black welt.
Dooo eeet!
Maybe a bit of both, but mostly heel slip.

As for my desk, I’m a recent mechanical engineering graduate, and I work as an intern in a factory as a process engineer. I have a bunch of ducting junk on my desk as I am trying to design an air filtration system for a corona treating machine.
Welcome to the profession! I wish you success. As a new grad, if you're wearing AE, you'll stand out amongst the crowd, in a good way.
This week has been awesome. Ashley drops the news, Dabondo posts for the first time, now all we need is to get Bedo's over here too.
Completely agree! The new/guest contributors have been great!

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to react to this... I have an old pair of Elgins that I don't have relevant photos to demonstrate my point at the moment. However, the Elgin is basically a rough collection strand with a natural edge and storm welt. The upper is sort of like a waxed walnut calf - mine are basically regular old calf now with age and care, etc. I am not absolutely sure, technically, what type of leather it is.

At any rate, with some wear and tear, the welt and edge blend better with the upper and it's a good casual look for the strand. Would it be good with a shell strand? I am not too sure. But I do like the Elgin. It's one of these shoes that on paper seems like it shouldn't work but I have gotten a lot of casual wear out of mine over the years.
I may regret posting from memory, but I'm pretty certain the Elgin, like it's rough collection brothers, were made with Horween dublin leather.

liquidjelly

Reaction score
This week has been awesome. Ashley drops the news, Dabondo posts for the first time, now all we need is to get Bedo's over here too.
Agree; I stepped away from the thread for a long time and this week has been nothing short of serendipitous.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Fifth Avenues in Brown!

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else casually browse the Allen Edmonds Enthusiasts Facebook group?

I find the differences between that community and this one to be pretty fascinating. You have a very large group of active users on the Facebook group - probably 10 times or more the active users of the AEAT, but many of those users are guys just getting into the GYW shoe game.

The AEAT in contrast has probably the most condensed source of brand knowledge outside of the company itself, and if I had to guess the amount of money spent between the users of the FB group and the AEAT are probably pretty close, even given the stark difference in number of users.

I don't think the FB group came even close to the $70,000+ that the AEAT spent on the previous trunk show, for example.
I’ve seen your posts there, and I’ve posted myself. I was actually thinking about this yesterday, too. Over there is a lot more of, “I just bought my first pair of AE from NR.” They don’t go crazy like we do—dozens of pairs. They also seem to
be largely bargain-only hunters. It’s fun to see when you notice a pic here match one there and put a FB page to an AEAT name though!

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.