• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have some AE Boat shoes, and they are good boat shoes. I don't know if they are Rancourt or Quoddy good, but good boat shoes and serve fine for intended purpose (boats and dinner at resorts that insist on men wearing long pants and shoes)
If you can show me a Quoddy under $200. I would buy instantly but at the $147 sale price point, I think AE is of great value.

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate to say this, and I hope I don’t get lit up for it, but I’ve never even seen the Wilbert IRL. I don’t know if it’s a regional thing, or maybe I never noticed it. I do see them on eBay, but I don’t ever recall seeing it in my local store. Most of the AE’s I see on the train are the usual suspects. The most common models being the ubiquitous PA, the Strand, the McAllister and the Dalton boot (which around here has to be one of their biggest sellers). I also see quite a few Cornwallis examples; oddly, their owners seem to take horrible care of them (or wear them continuously), because they’re usually beat to hell with beat up and scuffed toe boxes and covered in grime. I have seen the Badlands around, but never the Wilbert.
I see a lot of Wilberts around the Chicago area. I have even seen Wilbert owners try on Leeds in the AE store but refuse to change size and the Leeds is usually too loose for them. So they get another Wilbert.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
You can find Quoddy for around $200 if you follow the sales --- or less if you know your size and snag a pair off ebay. I think I had mine MTO with a few upcharges for around 250 give or take (during a discount window).

If you can show me a Quoddy under $200. I would buy instantly but at the $147 sale price point, I think AE is of great value.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hahhha. That's quite the look. I'll have to mention to my Dad that he's back in style. Do you think it will work with SAS shoes? That guy actually seems to wear it quite well all things considered. However, I can assure you that there is absolutely no chance that I could pull off such a statement. I would look like the ultimate bridge & tunnel fool walking around in the city dressed like that. With that having been said, I do appreciate the resurgence of chunky LWBs.

I really didn’t notice a big issue with sand - and that was the big surprise for me. What sand got in the shoe, didn’t really come from heel kickup, it came from when I put them back on. It was pretty easy to get the sand out too. Couple of hard thwops on the car floor-mat and it never bothered me again. Much easier than sneakers or my espadrilles, where the sand sticks to all the fabric bits, seemingly forever. That said, those Hanover-Hytest LWB’s are not exactly AE’s or anything, so I’m not to worried if there’s sand lurking somewhere.

The great thing about gunboat LWB’s, is (IMHO) you can wear them with almost anything. They straddle this weird line of formality and informality (much like a dress boot, such as the Dalton). Here in NYC, I’ve seen a big uptick, especially in uber too-cool-for-school SoHo, of big old LWB gunboats (and I do mean big double oak soled LWB’s, which seem to be a requirement for them to be seen as cool). The most common (informal) pairing I see is black with blue jeans (something I do).

However, I saw hipstery looking dude on an N train wearing a white teeshirt, blue shorts, navy calf high socks and dark brown MacNeils (this is suddenly a thing I see all over the place: shorts with dark dress socks - I really don’t get it, when did that become the preferred look). It was, uhh, quite a fashion statement, and absolutely intentional, based on carefully manicured appearance. Personally, if you’re gonna do dress shoes with shorts, gotta have the no-show socks (or at least not dark dress socks) and something other than a collarless teeshirt.

But what do I know. Apparently grandpa was so hip, he was into this look way before it was cool:
dda90b87959a7dec2e1d7b0cb2669395.jpg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice to be back home. Getting a few wings and a drink.
D6731119-2164-48F0-B924-803F3BCEEF59.jpeg

Sea Islands for a lounge day.
For fans of getting married to a foreign national from Mexico. Don’t do it. Would have been so much easier if my wife did not have dual citizenship. This is the only time I sat down in 4 days in Mexico.
26E05FB2-47F4-40B7-A949-85A4825D9FC3.jpeg

Words of wisdom. Never let a cheap ass wife book the plane fare. I got stuck for 12 hours in Houston. Problems with the connecting flight and only one seat left on another plane. Guess who got that seat and guess who spent 10 additional hours waiting for an open seat.

Last edited:

DapperAndy

Reaction score
Black Lexingtons, recovered from some damage, brought back to life using Pure Polish Black Cream, Black Paste, and High Shine Paste. I think they came out looking quite dapper. Pic 1 - Indoors, Pics 2,3,4 - In front of my house this morning.
allen-edmonds-lexington-derby-mirror-shined-pure-polish-high-shine-indoors.jpg
allen-edmonds-lexington-derby-mirror-shined-pure-polish-high-shine-side.jpg
allen-edmonds-lexington-derby-mirror-shined-pure-polish-high-shine-top.jpg
allen-edmonds-lexington-derby-mirror-shined-pure-polish-high-shine.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1208397
For fans of getting married to a foreign national from Mexico. Don’t do it. Would have been so much easier if my wife did not have dual citizenship. This is the only time I sat down in 4 days in Mexico.
View attachment 1208398
Words of wisdom. Never let a cheap ass wife book the plane fare. I got stuck for 12 hours in Houston. Problems with the connecting flight and only one seat left on another plane. Guess who got that seat and guess spent 10 additional hours waiting for an open seat.
Your stories end up as interesting as Roy's
Black Lexingtons, recovered from some damage, brought back to life using Pure Polish Black Cream, Black Paste, and High Shine Paste. I think they came out looking quite dapper. Pic 1 - Indoors, Pics 2,3,4 - In front of my house this morning.
View attachment 1208400 View attachment 1208401 View attachment 1208402 View attachment 1208403
Looking good! now for some wear shots!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1208397
View attachment 1208398
Words of wisdom. Never let a cheap ass wife book the plane fare. I got stuck for 12 hours in Houston. Problems with the connecting flight and only one seat left on another plane. Guess who got that seat and guess spent 10 additional hours waiting for an open seat.
12 hours in Houston airport? Plus an additional 10? Bet you know your way around that place. Glad you made it home safe and sound.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long day of royalty reports, reviewing pricing models, and daydreaming about riding one of those French Bastille Day-style hoverboards.

Broke out the oxblood Strands, which haven't been on my feet since some time in 2018. Because, apparently at some point in the last 7 or so months, I received a serious head trauma that made me forget how good these look and how comfortable they are. What has 6 nipples and is stupid? This guy!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The flip flops are Horween leather and darn comfy for flip flops. They have been in pools and ocean and still look great. They are my pool footwear and I feel like I stole them as the sale price was so low on close out a couple years ago.
I remember that sale, and still kick myself for not grabbing a pair...

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
12 hours in Houston airport? Plus an additional 10? Bet you know your way around that place. Glad you made it home safe and sound.
12 total hours stuck there for me. When the connecting flight was cancelled I got my wife on a plane in two hours and I got the 10 hours of additional wait time. I would have paid the additional $200 for direct flights but cutie booty got connecting flights home. I always get screwed on those.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
12 total hours stuck there for me. When the connecting flight was cancelled I got my wife on a plane in two hours and I got the 10 hours of additional wait time. I would have paid the additional $200 for direct flights but cutie booty got connecting flights home. I always get screwed on those.
What is important, is that you both made it home and of course any gentleman would give his wife/girlfriend/significant other the first choice of seat, it's just proper.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As today is Wingtip Wednesday wore snuff suede Neumoks. (Still regret missed getting white suede Spaggias.)

IMG_1947.jpeg

Some may remember I had the world's worst (butyl, which don't even last 100 miles) soles replaced with Vibram rubber half soles at Willie's Shoe Service in Los Angeles a few years ago. This made the Neumoks much more comfortable and much easier to use as directed (putting them on and walking around). The Vibram rubber half soles will probably outlast me.

(Yes, recently got new heels. Go through a lot of heels when using shoes as directed.)

IMG_1945.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures (and for those who may have recognized the Century City mall floor tiles in the first picture) the caviar vending machine that used to be on the second floor (in the food court near the Bank Of America ATM machine) has been replaced by a caviar cart on the first floor.

IMG_1948.jpeg

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, caramel chicken, brown rice, and me at RockSugar Southeast Asian Kitchen in the Century City Mall.

RockSugar is an "Asian Fusion" restaurant. Although I know what both atomic fusion and confusion are, have no idea what a "fusion" restaurant is, although Los Angeles is filled with "fusion" restaurants.

IMG_1954.jpeg

For fans of totally random retail pictures in shoe threads, it's shark week at the Vineyard Vines store in Century City.

IMG_1951.jpeg

For those who have read this far and are fans of mall vending machines, the chicken restaurant (forgot the name) in Century City still has a champagne vending machine, as well as a full bar for those who prefer human contact when drinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads