• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trainers I wear Asics from local running shoe store, for fashion or casual, I wear SeeVee's tennis shoes. Haven't tried the Cheetah, but there is one model of Porter that isn't a bad looking sneaker but I won't pony up that much for a sneaker.
Sneakers last a year. That's it.
They have their place but (to me) that place is running or walking for exercise, only.
I have one pair, and won't pay more than about $75 for them.

I have 0 interest in an AE sneaker.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I did buy AE Flip flops, for the reason that I was going on a beach vacation, needed flip flops, and AE had them on a closeout sale at less price (including shipping) than I could get similar locally. I didn't want rubber Wal*Mart version. So......guilty as charged.
Weren’t those the AE branded Island Slippers Made in Hawaii? I wished I would’ve scored that deal!

woofmang

Reaction score
Sneakers last a year. That's it.
They have their place but (to me) that place is running or walking for exercise, only.
I have one pair, and won't pay more than about $75 for them.

I have 0 interest in an AE sneaker.
Can't say I agree here; I have 3 pair of New Balance 928s (in different versions), the oldest of which is 5 years old and still going strong (of course, I rotate wears just like I do with my shoes). The current version (v3) runs about $140 retail (probably a bit less on Amazon or Zappos, but get fitted in a store first) and they're well worth it. The most comfortable walking shoe I've ever owned and the build quality is much higher than you'd expect at that price point.

BFT9000

Reaction score
Channeling the spirit of @madhat past :eek:.

IMG_20190717_064425.jpg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had heard of the women's line -- made sometime in the 90's? Were they still made in USA like the men's shoes? I don't really have a problem with AE producing their sneakers and some casual models at the DR plant, but I was saddened to see they are now making the Wilbert and Badlands there. The Wilbert is one of their most well known classic models and is a huge seller (maybe that's why they chose to do it?) and it just doesn't seem right to import that model that has been around for at least 20 years. I would have been more pleased to see all that Tate stuff be imported.

I'll be taking these complaints politely to my next Youtube video, which will be a comparison of the Badlands and Wilbert models.
I could be wrong, but I don’t think the Wilbert is 20 years old. IIRC it was introduced in the mid 2000’s as one of their “Casual” line (now the Comfort line, which the Badlands is also part of). Those shoes retail at a lower price point (but aren’t actually any cheaper to make); they’ve been sub 300 for as long as I can remember and, as such, it makes business sense to move them to the DR, versus expensive newer models and heritage models like the PA, FA, MacNeil, McAllister, Strand, etc..

Keep in mind, AE only has so much Port Washington capacity; the plant, after 2003 and 2010 upgrades, is beyond its original 1984 designed production capacity. I also seem to recall that physically expanding their current facility faces location specific issues (zoning or EPA restrictions).

Only higher-margin models will land in Port Washington. Love or hate the Bond Street, it sits at a higher price-point and so the capacity that once went to something like a Wilbert is going to a product that requires the miUSA tag to help justify price (and incidentally, after looking into how the speed-welt stuff is built, there is no getting around the basic bill of materials making them expensive to make, thus the $425, versus $395 price-point). As for the Tate, isn’t that stuff on its way out?

Increasing miUSA production may happen someday, but it will likely require a new plant, which is a very expensive investment. In the meanwhile, they’ll likely continue juggling production with the DR, especially for products below a certain price-point

That’s my take, anyway.

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't say I agree here; I have 3 pair of New Balance 928s (in different versions), the oldest of which is 5 years old and still going strong (of course, I rotate wears just like I do with my shoes). The current version (v3) runs about $140 retail (probably a bit less on Amazon or Zappos, but get fitted in a store first) and they're well worth it. The most comfortable walking shoe I've ever owned and the build quality is much higher than you'd expect at that price point.
Depends on usage. I can be done with a pair in three months when I'm actually running... that includes rotating. I usually run them closer to 450 or so miles, unless I start noticing they're done earlier.
Channeling the spirit of @madhat past :eek:.

View attachment 1208213
Haha! Almost wore my salmon pair, then considered burnt orange. I like it.

Strand day part two
20190717_081506.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I did buy AE Flip flops, for the reason that I was going on a beach vacation, needed flip flops, and AE had them on a closeout sale at less price (including shipping) than I could get similar locally. I didn't want rubber Wal*Mart version. So......guilty as charged.
As an owner of 22 year old 1 dollar, street vendor flip-flops, I gotta ask... are those AE Flip Flops comfy? Were they the Horween leather flip flops?

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@wasmisterfu @sterlingindigo I have a pair. I wear them all the time. Sole is structured and supportive, unlike the Old Navy/Walmart types. I bought them on a lark for a special occasion last year, and have zero regrets. Wearing them as I type this reply, in fact. These were more of a AE x Island collab than AE branded flip flop.
IMG_20180225_110713-01.jpeg

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@wasmisterfu @sterlingindigo I have a pair. I wear them all the time. Sole is structured and supportive, unlike the Old Navy/Walmart types. I bought them on a lark for a special occasion last year, and have zero regrets. Wearing them as I type this reply, in fact. These were more of a AE x Island collab than AE branded flip flop.View attachment 1208222
Horween Leather I believe, very cool!

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@wasmisterfu @sterlingindigo I have a pair. I wear them all the time. Sole is structured and supportive, unlike the Old Navy/Walmart types. I bought them on a lark for a special occasion last year, and have zero regrets. Wearing them as I type this reply, in fact. These were more of a AE x Island collab than AE branded flip flop.View attachment 1208222
I got the other ones that are just island slipper that AE had on sale. They are fantastic. When the time comes to replace I hope they are still in business because I don’t see that being the case any time soon.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old Navy/Walmart flip flops would probably be a major step up from my current plastic things (though my 1 dollar plastic things sure have lasted a long time).

Those look very nice. The problem is my shoe collection is now such that every footwear related purchase is under direct spousal scrutiny. I’ll probably need to stick with my 1 dollar flip flops for a while longer, especially with the 2019 Shoe Revival Challenge coming up.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.