• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Joe Schmoe

Reaction score
Day 3 of the @ae_ashley appreciation brings us this example that I never knew I wanted.

I'd considered a Dalton in the past. At first, I thought I'd get a walnut pair, but with a golden CXL pair of Longbranch boots, it seemed a bit redundant. Then, I thought that maybe chili would be a good fit, but when Ashley got me into that pair of chili MacNeils, it kind of scratched my chili itch. Thought about dark brown, but with a good number of dark brown boots already, I had trouble justifying it. Maybe a burgundy shell version? Well, the pair of burgundy shell HMs took precedence.

When Ashley e-mailed me, almost apologetically, about a pair of Daltons that had come in I thought it would be easy to say no. I was still riding the high of the shell HMs, the wallet was still feeling the lows of the TS2019 purchase, and I had all the afore-mentioned anti-Dalton logic listed above.

I really am a moron.

Of course I said yes to Ashley. She told me about an oxblood pair of Daltons with red Dainite soles. She assured me that, even though that combination sounded weird, it looked really cool. I asked for pictures and a price and was pleasantly gobsmacked by both. A couple days later, they were mine. And, yeah, they still look really cool, especially hidden under my desk basking in the glory of the corporate carpet.

View attachment 1205877
Oh wow those do look really cool!

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've decided that I want to pay less in government theft, so I'm starting a personal travel/style blog (naturally with a YT channel I'm sure). I need help with a name. Suggestions so far:

Aging Raver Adventures
Studying Abroad With The Professor

If you have something else in mind, throw it at me. It'll be *centered* around the trips/adventures we go on, but there will be some style-related stuff as well just to kinda fill in the chunks of time where I don't go anywhere (which are fairly substantial, since I only get 30 days of leave a year).

Figure being able to deduct all that stuff from my taxes should make for a nice offset to buy more AE shell.

AW YEAH ON TOPIC AFTER ALL!!!

Anywho.
Professor Horseyhead Recommends...

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And who said boots aren’t a year round thing?

I haven’t seen this many boots on a Friday since the trunk show deliveries came in!!

Well done gents.

Now, who has an AE boot in garnet?!? Let’s see ‘em...quit holding out.
It's always boot weather!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've decided that I want to pay less in government theft, so I'm starting a personal travel/style blog (naturally with a YT channel I'm sure). I need help with a name. Suggestions so far:

Aging Raver Adventures
Studying Abroad With The Professor

If you have something else in mind, throw it at me. It'll be *centered* around the trips/adventures we go on, but there will be some style-related stuff as well just to kinda fill in the chunks of time where I don't go anywhere (which are fairly substantial, since I only get 30 days of leave a year).

Figure being able to deduct all that stuff from my taxes should make for a nice offset to buy more AE shell.

AW YEAH ON TOPIC AFTER ALL!!!

Anywho.
Is the way to make money with a blog in the tax write-off's? Or can one actually earn an income from a blog?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Day 3 of the @ae_ashley appreciation brings us this example that I never knew I wanted.

I'd considered a Dalton in the past. At first, I thought I'd get a walnut pair, but with a golden CXL pair of Longbranch boots, it seemed a bit redundant. Then, I thought that maybe chili would be a good fit, but when Ashley got me into that pair of chili MacNeils, it kind of scratched my chili itch. Thought about dark brown, but with a good number of dark brown boots already, I had trouble justifying it. Maybe a burgundy shell version? Well, the pair of burgundy shell HMs took precedence.

When Ashley e-mailed me, almost apologetically, about a pair of Daltons that had come in I thought it would be easy to say no. I was still riding the high of the shell HMs, the wallet was still feeling the lows of the TS2019 purchase, and I had all the afore-mentioned anti-Dalton logic listed above.

I really am a moron.

Of course I said yes to Ashley. She told me about an oxblood pair of Daltons with red Dainite soles. She assured me that, even though that combination sounded weird, it looked really cool. I asked for pictures and a price and was pleasantly gobsmacked by both. A couple days later, they were mine. And, yeah, they still look really cool, especially hidden under my desk basking in the glory of the corporate carpet.

View attachment 1205877
If Ashley were to contact me about another pair of Wolverine 1000 miles.........I might buy them....

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or can one actually earn an income from a blog?
Definitely can, but you've got to have a lot of eyeballs on your site.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the way to make money with a blog in the tax write-off's? Or can one actually earn an income from a blog?
ads and affiliate links, mostly.

but i also dislike where government theft has gotten to, so primary goal is (legally) reducing my tax liability.

politics aside, if every billionaire in the U.S. gave *EVERYTHING* they had to the government--i mean they went straight up penniless--there would be enough money there to run the government for less than a year. i don't think the problem is nearly as much "some people don't pay their fair share".....I think the problem is "why the **** are we letting congress spend that much money?"

if I can reduce my tax liability and get a source of income rolling (via monetized YT channel and affiliate links/ad revenue on the website) i may be able to literally do whatever the hell i want when i retire in about 5-6 years.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was trying to tell from the video which uppers they are still cutting in Wisconsin. It looks like all shell is made entirely in the PW factory. I couldn't tell, but if they are making all their uppers or some of their uppers in the Bench Welt stuff in the factory, that makes me happy. I saw those walls of uppers but wasn't sure if they were flown in from the DR.

Some have told me it's not a wooden shank, but something else that's put inside. I forget what it's called.

I was surprised to see "Leeds 2.0 Walnut" on the scoreboard. Made my day. :) I love poron, but I know a lot of men don't. Some also have stated that poron might not last as long as a traditional leather insole. I'll just have to wait and see in about 10-15 years.
Poron is pretty durable (more so than a texon fiberboard insole) - it’s not a low-end synthetic, it requires a whole casting process and it’s used in a range of high-end applications. My big beef with poron insoles is, even when leather topped, they’re hot, don’t breathe like leather insoles and are too squishy for my tastes. If you like the impact absorption, they’re a great solution, but I like plain old leather.

Generally speaking, unless your GYW shoe has one of the awful paperboard insoles (not to be confused with a texon fiberboard insole) as found in late-era miUSA Bostonian’s and cheaper Hanover contract shoes (like Stafford), your insole stands a pretty good chance of outliving the rest of the shoe.

As for those paperboard insoles used by Hanover for certain low-end GYW products back in the day, this is what can happen:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ads and affiliate links, mostly.

but i also dislike where government theft has gotten to, so primary goal is (legally) reducing my tax liability.

politics aside, if every billionaire in the U.S. gave *EVERYTHING* they had to the government--i mean they went straight up penniless--there would be enough money there to run the government for less than a year. i don't think the problem is nearly as much "some people don't pay their fair share".....I think the problem is "why the **** are we letting congress spend that much money?"

if I can reduce my tax liability and get a source of income rolling (via monetized YT channel and affiliate links/ad revenue on the website) i may be able to literally do whatever the hell i want when i retire in about 5-6 years.
Preaching to the choir brother, preaching to the choir.

tcbinnc

Reaction score
Professor Horseyhead Recommends...
In that vein, "Horsin' Around" , maybe? The late, great Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" was a perfect double entendre' that conveyed both the show's subject and his frank outlook and demeanor. Trying to think of something with punch like that. "Runnin' Amock" ? I dunno.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.