• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "modern spade dress shoes" but I'll assume it's a compliment and say "Thanks!"

I live in the US, but I bought them from Antonio Meccariello (https://www.meccarielloshoes.it/)
They used to make a sole with a spade like shape. See below. Not the best pics though.
CB5A7131-2840-4B8D-9A77-28CBE14A63B4.jpeg
F623CE30-CF87-461B-B388-0E01C8395A38.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They used to make a sole with a spade like shape. See below. Not the best pics though.
Some reading for you my friend
Thanks, gentlemen! I'd never heard of spade soled shoes, and was interested to read that the spade-shaped sole tradition has been preserved in modern times by the Italian shoemakers (he mentions Bestetti, but Meccariello is another great Italian shoemaker). And now, looking at them, it's clear that the soles of these actually are spade-shaped, and they also have a very narrow waist, just like the shoes he shows from the 20s and 30s (in fact, the waist on these is even narrower than the ones he talks about from the 20s and 30s; the soles are only about 2 inches wide right in front of the heel). You can see the influence very clearly in the pics of these shoes on the Meccariello site:

IMG_9607.jpg

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In honor of @ae_ashley being reinstated to the forum, I figured I'd spend the rest of the week wearing some Ashley specials to celebrate this joyous occasion.

I'd been thinking about a chili pair of shoes for a long time. Way too long, in fact. It had become my chili whale in Melvillian terms. One day, out of the blue, Ashley shot me an e-mail about a pair of chili MacNeils that had been custom-made with a v-tread sole and returned. Was I interested at seconds pricing even though she couldn't see anything wrong with them? Does The Donkey poop in the . . . uh, wherever donkeys usually poop, I guess? I dunno where I was going with this.

Regardless, I love these things. They're my most frequently worn non-boot. They go with everything I wear on a regular basis. Jeans. Chinos. Slacks. The occasional ill-conceived culottes. Mom jeans. Chaps. Everything.

The chili Mac is such an underrated staple in a shoe a rotation. I highly recommend you get a pair. I also highly recommend you work with Ashley. She'll never steer you wrong. Here they are against ugly corporate carpeting in cubicle city under glamorous fluorescent lights while I work on confirming roughly 3000 of our online learning system ISBNs are all linked to the correct courseware. Try not to be too jealous.

Attachments

• IMG_3093.JPG
    IMG_3093.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 28

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is going to be raining a lot in Mexico this weekend. I am only bringing two pair of shoes. A light sandal and a pair to go with a beige suit. Dark Brown Tupelo or Walnut rain Strand? Any thoughts?

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is going to be raining a lot in Mexico this weekend. I am only bringing two pair of shoes. A light sandal and a pair to go with a beige suit. Dark Brown Tupelo or Walnut rain Strand? Any thoughts?
Either.
I’d probably go with the Tupelo.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bourbon dundees.
Look like a Birkenstock or earth shoe type of sandal, bet they are comfy though.
Yup, a "cheap" knock off I assumed. I don't like the look of the footbed. I'll stick with birkenstocks for that type of sandal personally

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, break a leg in Mexico this weekend shoenut! Don’t be nervous and go with the Strand!

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In honor of @ae_ashley being reinstated to the forum, I figured I'd spend the rest of the week wearing some Ashley specials to celebrate this joyous occasion.

I'd been thinking about a chili pair of shoes for a long time. Way too long, in fact. It had become my chili whale in Melvillian terms. One day, out of the blue, Ashley shot me an e-mail about a pair of chili MacNeils that had been custom-made with a v-tread sole and returned. Was I interested at seconds pricing even though she couldn't see anything wrong with them? Does The Donkey poop in the . . . uh, wherever donkeys usually poop, I guess? I dunno where I was going with this.

Regardless, I love these things. They're my most frequently worn non-boot. They go with everything I wear on a regular basis. Jeans. Chinos. Slacks. The occasional ill-conceived culottes. Mom jeans. Chaps. Everything.

The chili Mac is such an underrated staple in a shoe a rotation. I highly recommend you get a pair. I also highly recommend you work with Ashley. She'll never steer you wrong. Here they are against ugly corporate carpeting in cubicle city under glamorous fluorescent lights while I work on confirming roughly 3000 of our online learning system ISBNs are all linked to the correct courseware. Try not to be too jealous.
You make a compelling argument. I now want some chilimac. Not hamburger helper, though I'm hungry enough to eat that right now.

For funsies, I Google image searched "chili hole." I didn't go too many pages deep, but it was a fun trip.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore the tan suede Strandmok 0.0's again today. Had lunch with a girl I was at school with. She brought her dog (and took this picture).

Since it's always sunny in Southern California, we were sitting outside.

66470261_10217856732383706_5880835162039648256_n.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, before lunch stopped at the Louis Vuitton X pop up exhibit in the former Tommy Hilfiger, later Brooks Brothers store on the corner of Little Santa Monica Blvd and Rodeo Drive.

IMG_1864.jpeg

Here's what the former Tommy Hilfiger, later Brooks Brothers store now looks like.

IMG_1879.jpeg

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, had a blackened chicken sandwich and my friend had a cheeseburger.

IMG_1871.jpeg

On the off chance anyone is wondering what's in my lapel button hole, at the end of the Louis Vuitton X exhibit they give you a little enamel stickpin.

IMG_1869.jpeg

Extra Added Attraction: For fans of car pictures in shoe threads, a BMW parked on Rodeo Drive (and a typical tourist).

IMG_1833.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads