• We would like welcome Enzo Custom as an official Affiliate Vendor. Specializing in custom tailored clothing, and with seven showrooms throughout the country, they are dedicated to guiding you in person through their many options to produce your perfect fitting suit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pedarius

Reaction score
AE-relevant shoe repair question for the wise masters here: my brown shell Strands (relatively new, bought in December in the sale as firsts and not worn much as they have rough finishing and probably should have been sent back) have a persistent and fairly loud creak in the left shoe upon impact of a step. At first, I attributed it to the facings rubbing on the tongue in new shoes, but after a few rounds of light conditioning of the tongue/backs of the facings and some more careful observation, I don't think it's that. Rather, it seems to be originating from the heel, as any shift in my weight on the back of the foot causes the creak. Is that potentially a sign that the heel wasn't correctly glued and needs to be reattached? If so, would you take it back to AE or just self-help with a local cobbler?

pbrandes

Reaction score
Due to circumstances too OCD even for me, I have an extra pair of vintage 9.5E Sanfords from the 1990s which I'm planning to sell. I picked these up new on eBay, they are seconds but the only flaw I can find is that the box is incorrectly labelled 9.5D - the shoes themselves are stamped 9.5E and fit confirms that. The color is what AE labelled Bourbon at the time, but is actually walnut in its previously
more orange-y hue (nothing like today's bourbon). The calfskin is much higher grade than what AE uses today, it's more like AE's Independence leathers.

They were new and unworn when I got them, I've worn them twice while I had my original pair out for recrafting; the recraft went well and I decided I didn't really need the redundant backup pair so they're up for sale at $80 + shipping. Here are some pics, PM me for more pics and info if interested:

2019-06-25 13.29.30.jpg

2019-06-25 13.34.46.jpg

2019-06-25 13.43.48.jpg

2019-06-25 13.44.51.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little more St. Louis exploration today to the art museum. Alden x J. Crew on Barrie.

IMG_20190626_113913024_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190626_113706256_HDR.jpg

With a gorgeous shot of what they call art hill. Channeling my inner @Roycru. Not my best shot, but a nice one nonetheless.

IMG_20190626_130340199_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have discussed the direction the new AE is going, but at least they have not yet followed Church's in the new old vintage direction. Yes, for $970 USD you can get these beauties. Link, for those that think ole smfdoc is pulling your shoes and legs.

Feathures:

• Loafer with tassel
• Glacè calf leather and linen with broguing
• Raised toe spring
• Vintage rubber sole with rivets
• Internal lining for longevity of wear
• Vintage Church's label to lining
• Church's crest to distressed inner sock
• Vintage logo to sole

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have discussed the direction the new AE is going, but at least they have not yet followed Church's in the new old vintage direction. Yes, for $970 USD you can get these beauties. Link, for those that think ole smfdoc is pulling your shoes and legs.

Feathures:

• Loafer with tassel
• Raised toe spring
• Vintage logo to sole

View attachment 1198445

View attachment 1198446

View attachment 1198447
Looks like it belongs in a garbage bin

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE-relevant shoe repair question for the wise masters here: my brown shell Strands (relatively new, bought in December in the sale as firsts and not worn much as they have rough finishing and probably should have been sent back) have a persistent and fairly loud creak in the left shoe upon impact of a step. At first, I attributed it to the facings rubbing on the tongue in new shoes, but after a few rounds of light conditioning of the tongue/backs of the facings and some more careful observation, I don't think it's that. Rather, it seems to be originating from the heel, as any shift in my weight on the back of the foot causes the creak. Is that potentially a sign that the heel wasn't correctly glued and needs to be reattached? If so, would you take it back to AE or just self-help with a local cobbler?
It may be the heel needing to be reglued. I had this happen to a pair of vintage Florshiems - the glue had dried and separated. It was a longer creaking sound and if I was really careful i could even feel a bit of vibration as the heel shifted.
It could also be a shank that is not seated properly anymore, which will require a recraft. I have also had this happen to me (on a brand new pair of Alden ravello no less). This was more of a definite "pop" than a longer creak, but it's definitely worth contacting AE about.
Both seem plausible from my remote quarterbacking armchair. Hearing and feeling the sound/shoe in person would obviously be better. I would record it happening and contact AE about it.

Feathures:

• Loafer with tassel
• Raised toe spring
• Vintage logo to sole

View attachment 1198445

View attachment 1198446

View attachment 1198447
Beat me to it.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE has done it again. Brought in a specialty shoe with no size range.
E610193B-45FB-4652-A0A8-ADE9170DD99E.jpeg

pedarius

Reaction score
It may be the heel needing to be reglued. I had this happen to a pair of vintage Florshiems - the glue had dried and separated. It was a longer creaking sound and if I was really careful i could even feel a bit of vibration as the heel shifted.
Thanks for this--the above is actually a pretty good description of the sensation--a long creak that includes a slight shuddering sensation.

Guess I'll take it to my local AE, in any event. Wish I had bought it from them!

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.