• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I hate to be that guy, but I want to ask what you all think about the pair of HMs I received. I understand these are boots, and if they were seconds I’d be cool with this, but what do you all think?

Here is the vamp of the left boot:

View attachment 1191206

Here is the toe/vamp of the right:View attachment 1191207

There are other things too like this on the left boot:

View attachment 1191212
What do you all think I should do?Am I wrong in asking for seconds pricing here?
I would have kept these but would have asked for seconds pricing,
which should have been offered by whoever at AE last opened the box.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who would have kept them?
Considering that they’re made of CXL, won’t they look like that by the second time you wear them anyway?
I would have. My CXL Indy boots got marks like that all over after i had worn them twice.
Keeping a shoe with glaring blemishes speaks a lot to where you are in the shoe acquisition game. When you first start buying any beautiful shoe most of us want what was intended by the company. But after buying many pairs and you see how they age and how you wear them it becomes very apparent what type of blemishes just disappear and which you personally would not accept. I have a thing for loose grain on the quarters and shaft. Especially if both shoes exhibit it. I am not a fan of blemishes on the vamp. Having said that, if I buy a shoe for less than seconds pricing on a large sale, I tend to be much more tolerant. But if I am buying a new style at firsts price point, then I will want a great looking pair. It is so nice to have a few pairs that really stand out. I also have a few pairs that I love that are way beyond a second but the symmetry of f’ed up shoes are quite beautiful. Most of my shoes are somewhere in between. The big question for that CXL post was not really about what I would have done but more of a is asking for seconds pricing or replacing reasonable.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I hate to be that guy, but I want to ask what you all think about the pair of HMs I received. I understand these are boots, and if they were seconds I’d be cool with this, but what do you all think?

Here is the vamp of the left boot:

View attachment 1191206

Here is the toe/vamp of the right:View attachment 1191207

There are other things too like this on the left boot:

View attachment 1191212
What do you all think I should do?Am I wrong in asking for seconds pricing here?
Nope. Looks like seconds worthy to me.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One really annoying thing about Amazon (I don't know if any of you have noticed this) has to do with their drop down inventory thing. You'll see your size available in bold, thinking you've found a pair of something discontinued. But as soon as you click the size, it states it's unavailable. Amazon is the biggest tease when it comes to AE shoes.

higgins.png

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering that they’re made of CXL, won’t they look like that by the second time you wear them anyway?
I wouldn't have worried about it. CXL taught me to embrace imperfections, wear and tear.

BFT9000

Reaction score
Burgundy shell Strands today for Strand Wednesday.
IMG_20190612_172446.jpg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, I would have kept them, just tried to nicely get price reduced. As you say, they are going to look that way sooner than later anyway......but Firsts should be as close to pristine as possible.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Keeping a shoe with glaring blemishes speaks a lot to where you are in the shoe acquisition game. When you first start buying any beautiful shoe most of us want what was intended by the company. But after buying many pairs and you see how they age and how you wear them it becomes very apparent what type of blemishes just disappear and which you personally would not accept. I have a thing for loose grain on the quarters and shaft. Especially if both shoes exhibit it. I am not a fan of blemishes on the vamp. Having said that, if I buy a shoe for less than seconds pricing on a large sale, I tend to be much more tolerant. But if I am buying a new style at firsts price point, then I will want a great looking pair. It is so nice to have a few pairs that really stand out. I also have a few pairs that I love that are way beyond a second but the symmetry of f’ed up shoes are quite beautiful. Most of my shoes are somewhere in between. The big question for that CXL post was not really about what I would have done but more of a is asking for seconds pricing or replacing reasonable.
And for me, loose grain on CXL Boots isn't even an issue, scrapes and scratches like in his photos are, however. I kind of like loose grain on CXL, adds character.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One really annoying thing about Amazon (I don't know if any of you have noticed this) has to do with their drop down inventory thing. You'll see your size available in bold, thinking you've found a pair of something discontinued. But as soon as you click the size, it states it's unavailable. Amazon is the biggest tease when it comes to AE shoes.

View attachment 1191314
Never bought AE's from Amazon, but understand the frustration.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.