• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

orlylow

Reaction score
Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue or Bond Street? First pair of AEs and looking at one of the pairs on Shoebank for $199. I’m a 10EEE, do they fit differently?

Last edited:

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue or Bond Street? First pair of AEs and looking at one of the pairs on Shoebank for $199. I’m a 10EEE, do they fit differently?
The answer that you will most likely get from this board is going to be Fifth Avenue usually called a 5A for brevity. Rational is as follows:
  1. It is a Heritage style.
  2. Full leather insole with cork filler.
  3. Full grain leather upper.
  4. Should last longer.
  5. Most versatile shoe in the bunch.
I would like to tell you what you get in the Bond Street.
  1. A polished leather calf upper.
  2. Leather covered insole.
  3. Padding under the leather covering.
  4. It will fit differently based on the 64 last.
  5. I am told it fits a bit snugger.
So what is polished calf? It is a special kind of sanding that closes the pore structure of the leather without taking as much of the surface off as standard correction. For polished calf you actually need a good hide with minimal scares. Otherwise this process makes the insect bites and scares stand out more. It gives you a calfskin that is very uniform but the pore structure is closed. Because the finish has solids in it it will keep its original look much longer. It just needs to be conditioned and brushed. Pigmented polish does very little to the look of the upper.
So what do you gain from a full grain leather upper? You get to polish it more frequently. The open pore structure allows tanning oils and fats to migrate in the upper. As you wear and care for the shoe the oil migration is noted in light and dark areas of the shoe. Pigmented polishes are more readily accepted into the upper. The shoe will have more character over time.
We call that patina. It is what we are after. So to recap.
Fifth Ave gives you a more versatile shoe that will age well if taken care of but will look better with time. It is analogous to a loving wife. Bond Street gives you a nice looking shoe with less break in and is easier to care for. It will be its best new. This is like the young heavy drinking and smoking hot girl at the bar. Sure she looks good tonight but after being rode for years will just not look so good.

Last edited:

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the AE, love the petroglyphs, does your GTI have folding mirrors????
Yeah some dingus forced me onto the shoulder and i smacked a recycling container breaking my passenger side mirror. The pair of euro folders was cheaper than a single oem replacement since I don't have blind spot assist. Love em.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wingtip Wednesday with the Stirling. Most worn AE in the last two years.
9C46340E-DAF3-438F-9D4C-D81ED1976F82.jpeg

woofmang

Reaction score
The answer that you will most likely get from this board is going to be Fifth Avenue usually called a 5A for brevity. Rational is as follows:
  1. It is a Heritage style.
  2. Full leather insole with cork filler.
  3. Full grain leather upper.
  4. Should last longer.
  5. Most versatile shoe in the bunch.
I would like to tell you what you get in the Bond Street.
  1. A polished leather calf upper.
  2. Leather covered insole.
  3. Padding under the leather covering.
  4. It will fit differently based on the 64 last.
  5. I am told it fits a bit snugger.
So what is polished calf? It is a special kind of sanding that closes the pore structure of the leather without taking as much of the surface off as standard correction. For polished calf you actually need a good hide with minimal scares. Otherwise this process makes the insect bites and scares stand out more. It gives you a calfskin that is very uniform but the pore structure is closed. Because the finish has solids in it it will keep its original look much longer. It just needs to be conditioned and brushed. Pigmented polish does very little to the look of the upper.
So what do you gain from a full grain leather upper? You get to polish it more frequently. The open pore structure allows tanning oils and fats to migrate in the upper. As you wear and care for the shoe the oil migration is noted in light and dark areas of the shoe. Pigmented polishes are more readily accepted into the upper. The shoe will have more character over time.
We call that patina. It is what we are after. So to recap.
Fifth Ave gives you a more versatile shoe that will age well if taken care of but will look better with time. It is analogous to a loving wife. Bond Street gives you a nice looking shoe with less break in and is easier to care for. It will be its best new. This is like the young heavy drinking and smoking hot girl at the bar. Sure she looks good tonight but after being rode for years will just not look so good.
What a great in-depth answer! How did you learn all this? It isn't spelled out this way on the AE website. (And I love the analogy of the hot girl at the bar losing her appeal with time and use, as opposed to a woman you'd actually want to marry... :)) How would you compare the PA to the 5A?

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a great in-depth answer! How did you learn all this? It isn't spelled out this way on the AE website. (And I love the analogy of the hot girl at the bar losing her appeal with time and use, as opposed to a woman you'd actually want to marry... :)) How would you compare the PA to the 5A?
Same fit (same last) same construction right? Just a different look. Both lean suit/formal.
Shoenut’s answer is great. I believe he worked for a shoe manufacturer

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah some dingus forced me onto the shoulder and i smacked a recycling container breaking my passenger side mirror. The pair of euro folders was cheaper than a single oem replacement since I don't have blind spot assist. Love em.
I wish they put Euro folders on as standard US equipment, they make sense.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish they put Euro folders on as standard US equipment, they make sense.
They're by far one of my favorite things about the car. And yes, the white caps are just generic ones that come with them; I've just been way too lazy to get the CF caps I want. :hide:

Admittedly the blind spot mirror on the driver's side took a few days to get used to, but now when I drive wifey's car without it, I get all irritable hehe. She hated it the first time she drove my car, but then when we got back from the road trip I got a text from her the next day she was at work that said "I miss your mirrors."

Definitely dig 'em.....though I think when I eventually get Stage 2 tuned (and the appropriate hardware to facilitate it) I'll be singing a different tune as to my favorite thing about the car. :hide:

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely dig 'em.....though I think when I eventually get Stage 2 tuned (and the appropriate hardware to facilitate it) I'll be singing a different tune as to my favorite thing about the car. :hide:
My buddy has some size 13EEE and 14 AEs. Park Ave, Cornwallis, Carlyles, and got married in Daltons. So, when he puts that big right foot down, he gets everything out of his GTI tune...

image.jpg

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My buddy has some size 13EEE and 14 AEs. Park Ave, Cornwallis, Carlyles, and got married in Daltons. So, when he puts that big right foot down, he gets everything out of his GTI tune...

Daaayyyum. What tune did he go with?

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@James1051 has it correct, my past work life was at Hanover Shoes. That being said, working for a shoe manufacturer is one of the worst places to get leather and shoe construction knowledge. The self lying that goes on is epic. If you work for a factory that does a 270 degree GYW shoe, you will hear all kind of information about why that particular process is the best way to make shoes. If it is true then say it but all too often things that are only half true get brought up because it adds to the “our shit don’t stink narrative”. A lot of what I have learned came from working with suppliers of shoe manufacturers and only after a night of heavy drinking does the truth come out. The best shoe thing also, in great part, has a lot to do with perspective. But as a leather junkie, I can appreciate a lot of different types even if I have personal favorites and bias.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.