1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by St Hubbins, Dec 31, 2018.

1. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

Sadly, I missed out on the BCF days. Apparently you could find piles of independence shoes like the Rutledge for $139. And this NR location used to my source for treasure. Back in 2016, you could find 10 pairs of AE shoes in your size. As of 2019, you'd be lucky to find 1 pair in your size. :(

2. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

At one point, AE would get rid of shoes (first and seconds) through BCF, MJM, and Cohoes (all owned by the same parent company). I'll refer you to this post by some noob: #68526

If they were available at Nordstrom Rack, then they were at least a Nordstrom model if not regular AE production.

3. BFT9000

BFT9000 Senior Member

It's peculiar. Other than that one stray mention on SF I haven't been able to find proof that this model existed anywhere else. I thought they might've been a Nordstrom exclusive but there isn't any proof that that's the case.

In any case, here's a quick pic of Strand/moks in different shades of brown. From left to right, brogue suede Strand, snuff suede SM 0.0, snuff suede Strand, saddle suede SM 2.0, and the desert oasis suede SM for Joseph Abboud.

Not quite a complete set yet. Still have to find a pair of the tan 0.0's.

IMG_20190111_222921.jpg

The snuff suede on the SM 0.0's is a slightly darker shade than the snuff on the Strand. Different texture too. More straight, less nappy and less color variation.

4. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

What deuce said. If you’re familiar with the sea island, instep is about the same, but the Patriot doesn’t shred your heel. I tried the Pats in shell, but the looser lasting made then just a bit too generous. These work well for my lower-volume foot.

Sorry to hear that! Sometimes it’s good to be D...

5. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

It appears to me that the vibrant half-sole is on top of the JR double sole that is standard (ie, they didn’t cut into the JR sole to make it flush, as would be the case with a v-tread). IF this assessment is correct, the sole would substantially EXTEND the time until a recraft - you’d have to wear through the vibram (which is pretty durable) and then through the JR.

If they were mine, I’d take them to a cobbler and ask if the half-soles could be cleanly removed. Adhesives used on shoes have to be flexible, so it’s probably on there with something like rubber cement.

6. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

At close inspection, it looks potentially tapered, as if they cut into the sole very slightly on the heel and then tapered it to the toe without a cut at that end

7. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

FB169E2B-A110-4C95-A176-F9D1676441F5.jpeg
    Using Bellevue for snow later today.

8. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

It is a good value for $10 have a couple here that I use. The GS brush is a good one as well, but it's $15.

9. audog

audog Stylish Dinosaur

Snow all night, still snowing and supposed to all day. Dog wanted to go for a walk, which when there is snow is pretty much him jumping and rolling and biting at it,while at the end of a leash.
    IMG_4466.jpeg

10. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

Ours starts later. Tomorrow we find out if me snow blower works

11. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

My moto is use as is until there is a reason to change.

12. munchau

munchau Senior Member

I’d be more than happy if I never saw snow again in my life.

13. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

The snow here is just beginning, so I chose the boots I specifically got for walking the dogs on days like this.

27DFB22B-D301-4C3F-A114-FE95D3E1AC40.jpeg
    This is the black/brown version of the AE Cascade.

14. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

Canclini overshirt by Proper Cloth, Ketofest 2018 t-shirt, Lucky jeans, Stirling boots, and Hockerty overcoat. Preparing for snow..
    496EC600-85AE-4D7B-A952-E91AE61BF5D0.jpeg 18627AEE-A2A1-4703-9E33-D02B78FAC652.jpeg

15. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

I don’t plan to modify it. I’ll reset it at recraft time