1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by St Hubbins, Dec 31, 2018.

1. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

Got to give a maiden voyage this week, probably not what one would expect:

022F63D9-1177-4702-9DAE-083E388E4088.jpeg
    Milkshake suede Patriots, made for CM.

I recall @Neo1 did not like the suede on these and sent them back. I half-agree; the suede is definitely not as nice as the Sea Islands, or even the couple pairs of Achesons I have. With that said, it’s sufficient, and these were intended to be pinch-hitters in my lineup. FWIW, Ashley thinks these are vastly underrated and thinks more people should snap them up at $99 (at least that’s what she said late last year). I got them during the ridiculous 40% sale, so for $60, not too bad.

2. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Distinguished Member

Oh man. That’s one of the denims I let slip through my fingers. Let me know how you like it. Still not sure what fit and size is going to work best. Probably a 31 in slim straight or regular taper.

A note on jeans. I was looking at mine and noticed many of my new pairs don’t have double needle stitching on the inseam but all of my old Levi’s do (not the new 511’s) and my $40 target selvedge jeans have it. I feel bad for my kids and how hard they’re going to have to search for quality and what they’ll have to pay for it if they actually find it.

3. EZB

EZB Senior Member

And you can recraft them for $125!

4. nmh20

nmh20 Senior Member

@Lmrjfud FYI

Post pics when you get them! Glad I could help.

5. savvysartorial

savvysartorial Senior Member

I took think they are amazing shoes. I have both colors. I'm not unhappy with the suede quality, but then again I don't have tons of suede shoes. They're far nicer than 99% of the suede junk out there and look nice for a church event or warm summer BBQ. Never felt the Sea Island but I think the suede compares favorably to my Stranmok in grey suede.

That's an insane price at $60 and I am jealous that you got them so cheap! I got them at the "regular" $99 which is still a steal.

Would LOVE to get a pair of Achesons in suede.

What are those pants, that blue pastel is breathtaking.

6. matwa

matwa Senior Member

Ya know, I never tell anyone that I have a site that I go to (while at work) to see pictures men take of themselves in the restroom....

7. Roycru

Roycru Distinguished Member

Wearing (made in 1984) Oakmonts again today.

P1120904.JPG

On the off chance anyone else is looking for the grave of Hal Roach Studios, it's on Washington Blvd in Culver City CA just east of Platform, a hipstercentric retail development built where the Hal Roach Studios used to be. At night it's probably haunted by Alfalfa's ghost.

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, encountered an abandoned stuffed panda while walking to the Westwood/Rancho Park Metro Expo Line station on the way to Platform.

P1120899.JPG

Some Los Angeles area members may recognize this as being on Westwood Blvd just south of Olympic Blvd. When you walk around you see things (like abandoned stuffed pandas) you may not see if you drive.

8. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

You know, I had not thought through the economics of the recraft. Funny. We will see what happens when/if the time comes. I suppose one advantage of my loafer binge is that recrafts are a problem for future jet.

There is definitely better suede out there; between AE and Carmina I have at least 8 pairs of suede and these are the lowest quality of them. But that doesn’t mean they are bad, and they aren’t. It just means I won’t furtively stroke the shoes quite as much while wearing them.

The chinos are from Bonobos - I’m sure the color name is clever but I don’t recall it. My wife is not a fan, so I try to wear them at every opportunity.

9. aero25

aero25 Distinguished Member

I've been wanting to try a Patriot for quite a while. The lower vamp interests me as it may be a loafer that would actually work well for me. They never pop up in possible sizes, except for once in black. I don't really want one in black though.

10. 2Deuce2

2Deuce2 Distinguished Member

She’s an excellent rep

11. 2Deuce2

2Deuce2 Distinguished Member

The Patriot will be more form fittin @aero25 . The Milkshake suede, however, will wear larger due to the suede.

12. audog

audog Distinguished Member

Got the Gustin Black Friday mystery jeans today. Initial reaction is OK jeans, but why-o-why do they have to make jeans so freakin' long, like a 36" inseam, so I have to cuff them up and feel like I did when I was a kid and Mom bought jeans saying "You will grow into them"
    IMG_4462.jpeg

13. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Damn, those make my OCD kick in and I am itching to grab a pig bristle brush.

14. aero25

aero25 Distinguished Member

Yep, I hit 'em hard with the horse hair brush (keep forgetting to grab a pig bristle...) right after I snapped that.

15. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

NIMS :(