• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wear Gustin's slim fit because the calves are too tight. I get their straight fit in size 34 or 35 (heavier weight denim, I go with the 35).
Me either - I'm not a giant fan of their Straight pattern. It's not bad, but I'd prefer some taper. Raleigh Denim's "Martin" slim tapered fit is a revelation for me... (and I'm not really very slim)

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Question I've been meaning to ask you. More like ask you to speculate I guess. Not going to start an argument with people over whether mainline is equivalent to ae by AE DR-made. I've bought and/or tried enough to tell you DR has not been as good.

What about the Portugal-made? How does that compare? Other manufacturers (including some decent ones) manufacture in Portugal. Plus AE definitely seems to be expanding on these. Curious to hear your take.
My speculation is that if you are going to attract the "new customers" that you want so badly, sneakers seems to be a good second shoe to sell. Younger guys are very likely to pair calf sneakers with more dressy looks. They seem to have taken a chapter right out of the Magnanni hand book. In the upper level sneaker game there are a few price points. $325 to $395. See the Magnanni introductory sneaker below:
Mannanni 325.jpg
Or you can go way up the Mountain to around $1380. Berlutti seems to be selling almost as many sneakers as dress shoes these days. Cause you know these will look as good or better with a no break suit and no socks.
Berlutti 1380.jpg
Berlutti sneaker.jpg
The Portugal made sneakers are just as good as the Magnanni level, especially if they stay in suede, smooth leather is a step down, and hey AE seems to be shooting at the $300 market for all their shoe sales. What I find funny is the $545 Italian shoes that AE has introduced. A decent level Bologna shoe from other makers is exactly $545. Problem is the AE Italian line is Bulky for a Bologna shoe. If you think you want to sell this option the shoes need to be a little more fashion forward and believe it or not thin soles. AE knows what they are trying to do but execution seems to be way off. Now I am off to buy a $1380 sneaker that will last me 10 years as long as I only wear it twice per year. Seems like a great value to me. But at the end of the day, AE would be happy with some add on sales from these lines even if they are only 5% of sales.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally Friday fellas! It is not 90 degrees here - it is 31 this morning and we actually had a VERY small amount of snow flurries yesterday.... I'd prefer something in between... you know, like actual fall weather! I hope everyone has a good one today as we coast into the weekend!

Non-AE content - Alden for me today
20181012_073807-jpg.1051551
20181012_073622-jpg.1051550

Love the Tankers and love the jeans.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I blame my pair on you. And they're great...

Hey, I just buy stuff and post pics, what y’all do with that info is up to y’all lol.

One of these days I’m going to combine everything into a “stuff people blame me for” outfit. I’m thinking bourbon Strands, LE moleskins, Barbour, and holding my Margaritaville

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Friday forum pals. Blue shell MacNeils outdoors and inside.

IMG_3753.jpg
IMG_3755.JPG

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non AE

N. Hess Scotch Grain PTB

1012180848~2.jpg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More awesome answers from AE:
Is there any leather in the Shock Form insole. I have seen several layers of padding but no mention of any leather. Is it strong enough to hold the shoe together long term?
Answer:
If you're referring to the lining that is in direct contact with your foot, yes the shoes have a full leather sock liner.

I am beginning to think I do not understand shoes.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I just buy stuff and post pics, what y’all do with that info is up to y’all lol.

One of these days I’m going to combine everything into a “stuff people blame me for” outfit. I’m thinking bourbon Strands, LE moleskins, Barbour, and holding my Margaritaville

bb454209fee64071a98288d29f5157ce.jpg

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More awesome answers from AE:
Is there any leather in the Shock Form insole. I have seen several layers of padding but no mention of any leather. Is it strong enough to hold the shoe together long term?
Answer:
If you're referring to the lining that is in direct contact with your foot, yes the shoes have a full leather sock liner.

I am beginning to think I do not understand shoes.
Yep Shoo experts! You're just not knowledgeable about these advanced Benchwelt techniques. Careful AE might kick you out of the Collectors Club if your shoe expertise is limited to Goodyear welt.

DawgPound

Reaction score
Good morning (or afternoon for those in the east)! This is my first post and felt the need to do so because I've been weaseled. This thread and forum has started somewhat of an addiction for me, but I recognize there are many here that have gone well beyond where I would dare. I've lost a couple of lb's and have been updating my wardrobe. In addition, I need to look the part for my role in the work place. While doing this, it became a reason to purchase some new shoes. I had appreciated what I thought were nice shoes, but didn't really know what that was until i started visiting this site. Normally, I'm a cost-conscience shopper and my first pair of Allen Edmonds (Madison Ave from the Rack) showed that. However, it gave me a taste of something nicer than what I had been wearing and got the ball rolling. So, in 8 months time, here's what I've picked up:

- Madison Ave in Walnut (my first)
- Fifth Ave in Dark Chili (my fav so far)
- Park Ave in Black
- Strand in Taupe Suede
- St. John's in Chili
- Mcallister in Merlot
- Strandmok in Brown (just arrived, still in box)
- Palm Beach in Brown (most weaseled pair, just arrived)

I only "needed" probably two of the above in my old way of thinking (one brown and one black), but I happen to have very good reasons for all of them now! Thank you everyone!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep Shoo experts! You're just not knowledgeable about these advanced Benchwelt techniques. Careful AE might kick you out of the Collectors Club if your shoe expertise is limited to Goodyear welt.
They will because I keep asking questions. I just asked what exactly is the material that the gemming is glued to on the insole? I also learned today that their suede on the Mercer Street is polished. Follow up question, what kind of polish do I use on the Mercer Street Suede. At some point they are either going to kick me out or admit to some pretty crappy build standards. Either way, it will be fun.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good morning (or afternoon for those in the east)! This is my first post and felt the need to do so because I've been weaseled. This thread and forum has started somewhat of an addiction for me, but I recognize there are many here that have gone well beyond where I would dare. I've lost a couple of lb's and have been updating my wardrobe. In addition, I need to look the part for my role in the work place. While doing this, it became a reason to purchase some new shoes. I had appreciated what I thought were nice shoes, but didn't really know what that was until i started visiting this site. Normally, I'm a cost-conscience shopper and my first pair of Allen Edmonds (Madison Ave from the Rack) showed that. However, it gave me a taste of something nicer than what I had been wearing and got the ball rolling. So, in 8 months time, here's what I've picked up:

- Madison Ave in Walnut (my first)
- Fifth Ave in Dark Chili (my fav so far)
- Park Ave in Black
- Strand in Taupe Suede
- St. John's in Chili
- Mcallister in Merlot
- Strandmok in Brown (just arrived, still in box)
- Palm Beach in Brown (most weaseled pair, just arrived)

I only "needed" probably two of the above in my old way of thinking (one brown and one black), but I happen to have very good reasons for all of them now! Thank you everyone!
Welcome aboard and please post some pics of your collection. Strand in Taupe Suede is a must see for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads