• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Wonderbeak

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this.

Would this be a good starter kit? If not what do you recommend? Or just buy individual pieces.

https://www.woodlore.com/shoe-care-valets/professional-style-cedar-shoe-valet-with-starter-kit-ii/
Agreed that you probably would want to fill it yourself in terms of wax/polish. However, the valet is nice enough, and comes with daubers, brushes, and cloths. If you don't have those already, may be worth it.

I had a lot of creams/brushes/cloths when I bought my valet. My valet however came from Amazon, is not cedar, and frankly is pretty low end.

I would probably opt for this fella:

https://www.woodlore.com/shoe-care-valets/professional-style-cedar-shoe-valet-with-starter-kit-i/

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. Sorry, I should've been more specific. I'm talking about the JA brand - suits, shirts, etc. Thanks for the reply and sorry for the confusion.
Ahhhhh, yeah, got it. Sorry, no help there. I don't own any JA branded shirts.

Jeff d

Reaction score
Agreed that you probably would want to fill it yourself in terms of wax/polish. However, the valet is nice enough, and comes with daubers, brushes, and cloths. If you don't have those already, may be worth it.

I had a lot of creams/brushes/cloths when I bought my valet. My valet however came from Amazon, is not cedar, and frankly is pretty low end.

I would probably opt for this fella:

https://www.woodlore.com/shoe-care-valets/professional-style-cedar-shoe-valet-with-starter-kit-i/

Thanks. I will look at that one.

Also, do you use the valet a lot to work on your shoes or do you just use a flat surface?

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shell PA’s today have only ever stored in bags and brushed on occasion.
5A3ED8D7-E5B8-4AE1-841B-5432E3314D9B.jpeg

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At $209 for seconds and $346.50 (nice round number) for firsts, that's the lowest I've seen my favorite boots advertised. Just trying to do my part...

View attachment 937918

Liverpools are a lot lower as well. I think this is what @Milksteakboiledhard warned us about

Oh, Mylanta! Dang those look good. I don't need any more boots. And, I definitely don't need any more brown boots with the HM, Indy, and Normandy all showing up in that color. But, I'm feeling that look big-time. $209 for seconds? I'm screwed.

How'd you size on those compared to some other boots? 11.5 D is a pretty good size for me for most boots. They're a touch bigger than I need, but that extra volume comes in handy during winter when I go with thicker socks.

Mr. Wonderbeak

Reaction score
Thanks. I will look at that one.

Also, do you use the valet a lot to work on your shoes or do you just use a flat surface?
I use the valet to brush my shoes when I first put them on, and before I take them off--again just a quick brushing to spiff up before and after. Otherwise, this mainly serves to store my equipment.

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, Mylanta! Dang those look good. I don't need any more boots. And, I definitely don't need any more brown boots with the HM, Indy, and Normandy all showing up in that color. But, I'm feeling that look big-time. $209 for seconds? I'm screwed.

How'd you size on those compared to some other boots? 11.5 D is a pretty good size for me for most boots. They're a touch bigger than I need, but that extra volume comes in handy during winter when I go with thicker socks.

I have limited experience with the 511 last but I originally went TTS in my Dundees and found the toebox to feel just a bit too tight in height and width. That boot had poron though, and I’m not exactly sure what is going on inside the Sullivan, but I went up a half size in length for this pair and they are a dream. The heel might be a bit wider, but since it’s a boot and the lacing can be so variable it hasn’t been an issue.

I’m also one of those that can wear tts in the 65 last though, so maybe it’s not too much of a surprise I sized up for these.

Mr. Wonderbeak

Reaction score
I have limited experience with the 511 last but I originally went TTS in my Dundees and found the toebox to feel just a bit too tight in height and width. That boot had poron though, and I’m not exactly sure what is going on inside the Sullivan, but I went up a half size in length for this pair and they are a dream. The heel might be a bit wider, but since it’s a boot and the lacing can be so variable it hasn’t been an issue.

I’m also one of those that can wear tts in the 65 last though, so maybe it’s not too much of a surprise I sized up for these.
I've had the same experience--though I stuck with my TTS/65 size for my Dundees 2.0 and after a handful of wears, they fit pretty well. I wouldn't wear thick socks very comfortably, but they are perfect for standard dress socks which I wear 85% of the time anyhow.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, 80 pages behind. Not sure why I feel like I have to catch up before I post or comment on anything... Maybe this weekend I will get caught up. In the mean time, a few pics to share - including a couple that don't make it into the "daily" rotation due to being reserved for more formal occasions.

Today it's denim and Dalton MTOs
20180309_120655.jpg
20180309_120944.jpg

Yesterday, slightly more formal in wool slacks, sweater, and Bartletts. (Indy ftw!)
20180309_121236.jpg
20180309_121444.jpg

Slacks, my fav sportcoat (some BR collabo), and 5th Street boots:
20180309_121544.jpg
20180309_121726.jpg

Casual Monday, while fighting the rain on taupe Caens:
20180309_121829.jpg
20180309_121953.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads