• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Comon Marketing!

Non-AE side note: So apparently Meermin opened up an NYC shop this weekend. Anyone have any experience? I'll be in the city tomorrow--and was thinking about stopping by and taking a peek....
The general read I get from the Reddit forum is: Nice shoes, AE-ish quality, good value, can be challenging to break in. That last part is why I'll probably never own a pair - life's too short for shoes to hurt. There's literally nothing left in my closet that hurt me during break-in. Yeah, a couple things were stiff, but no pain/blisters/etc.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The general read I get from the Reddit forum is: Nice shoes, AE-ish quality, good value, can be challenging to break in. That last part is why I'll probably never own a pair - life's too short for shoes to hurt. There's literally nothing left in my closet that hurt me during break-in. Yeah, a couple things were stiff, but no pain/blisters/etc.
And that's the way it should be. I feel like people are getting the wrong size or shoe if they're having to fight through blood and tears for the first dozen wears. The two most recent pairs, the Cronmoks and GTMO HMs, felt like they were well broken in the first day I wore them.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this job includes “proofing” the marketing emails before they go out? As found on LinkedIn...

View attachment 912701

Who was it on here that keeps saying if they were in charge of marketing, they would get rid of the “see with pants” feature on the website? I think your time has come!

Edit: @M635Guy, here’s your opportunity!

Last edited:

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Total e haitus for a while. Forums, commerce, blogs, social media.

I am currently thinking hard about how to reduce 'screen time' for a number of reasons. I have in the past LOL at my son and his flip phone still, will not have an iDevice. Now, his anti-screen time mentality seems wise beyond my years.

@armedferret hope your reasons+goals are successfully met.

@BagleyBrown speaking of black shell Dundee...
View attachment 912700

Nice look! The 511 last is a favorite of mine - have far more items on that last than anything else.

And that's the way it should be. I feel like people are getting the wrong size or shoe if they're having to fight through blood and tears for the first dozen wears. The two most recent pairs, the Cronmoks and GTMO HMs, felt like they were well broken in the first day I wore them.

Agree 100%, I have tried to force fitment on a few items (anything in the 65 last in my usual size, 2 different shell Westchesters, shell Patriots, bitter chocolate suede Patriots, to name a few). If they are not pretty close to comfortable out of the box, I will not gamble on breaking them in.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who was it on here that keeps saying if they were in charge of marketing, they would get rid of the “see with pants” feature on the website? I think your time has come!

Edit: @M635Guy, here’s your opportunity!
Brother, I'm an old guy with big needs. I'm guessing the job I'd want at AE is already comfortably owned by somebody who also has a bench. I can dream though... ;)

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gotta love those annual Alden price hikes...

I saw an interesting video of one of the Alden honchos discussing price points and the two philosophies. He said some companies will find a maximum price point and then do what is necessary to stay at that point. He felt that with time the quality drops as corners are cut to stay at a specific price. Their position was that they continue to produce the same shoe and that the price will continue to rise each year. Now all of that can be taken with a grain of salt, but it does correlate with the annual price hike reality. Speaking of Alden, black shell LWBs today.

IMG_2617.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw an interesting video of one of the Alden honchos discussing price points and the two philosophies. He said some companies will find a maximum price point and then do what is necessary to stay at that point. He felt that with time the quality drops as corners are cut to stay at a specific price. Their position was that they continue to produce the same shoe and that the price will continue to rise each year. Now all of that can be taken with a grain of salt, but it does correlate with the annual price hike reality. Speaking of Alden, black shell LWBs today.

View attachment 912750
It's probably the best way to handle things; it's just difficult to swallow price jumps! On the plus side, at least it's not $100 at a time!
In my market my mfg's have yearly price increases correlating to the increase in metal prices. They try to absorb as much of the cost as they can, but at some point you're out of cushion and either have to cut corners or charge more.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 912753
View attachment 912754
Salutations, fellow enthusiasts. Warm here today for January, so I’m treating it like spring. Dug up some items that haven’t been worn in a while. Blue OG Neumoks.

Lookin good as always! I couldn’t pull off that look - orange and blue is a nice combo, but I would be sleeping on the couch! The wife went to Florida State (FSU), and orange and blue are their arch rival (UF) Gator colors!!

I love the OG Neumok. One of my favorite AE shoes.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-post from AE MTO thread... Dalton MTOs - burgundy, split/reverse welt, natural welt/edges, JR soles, and Road Warrior inserts.

I've gone back to the stock laces on these. The volume is a little much for me and I couldn't get them tight enough with the nicer looking flat laces from Guarded Goods.

20180122_104536.jpg
20180122_091201.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads