1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2018 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fueco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior Member

I wouldn't, mostly because of the Dainite sole not having enough grip in mud.

2. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

I wouldn’t- you’re going to want something with cushioning, ventilation, and an actual tread. I have some Merrell Moab Ventilators that I really like.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

3. M2511

M2511 Distinguished Member

PSA: Black Shakers size 9D up on the bay! Found HERE. Not my listing or anyone I know.

4. Vocans

Vocans Senior Member

Morning gentlemen. Shell strands today:

20180314_094425.jpg

5. munchau

munchau Senior Member

Thanks guys. I’ll look at other options.

6. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior Member

Yeah, I think you'll be much happier doing this instead of the Higgins Mill. You need traction on the trail and there's no way the HM can keep up with that terrain. Not sure what kind of hiking you're going to do, but most of my treks have just been day hikes with a light pack. I prefer a mid-height hiking boot for those. So far, my favorite brands have been, in order:

Salomon (great waterproofing, long-lasting sole with pretty awesome grip, adequate ankle support)

Oboz (removable inserts, nice lugs on sole, good ankle support, waterproofing capabilities are pretty good - but can run hot, and they plant a tree for every pair bought)

Merrell (light weight, lugs wore down pretty quickly for me, very comfortable and need little-to-no break-in, sometimes sacrifices ankle support for comfort, waterproof models breathe really well)

My brother likes Lowa and Vasque, but I have yet to try them.

Also, certain models within each brand are going to perform differently. So, YMMV. As an FYI, REI's outlet site, REI Garage has some decent stuff on sale right now. I've got a trip to Kilimanjaro coming up in a little over 2 years when my old high school roommate and I turn 50, so I'm on the lookout for sales on some of the larger-ticket items I'll need for that climb. Nothing resonating with me now, but I've got my annual dividend from them burning a hole in my pocket right now.

7. kammerer66

kammerer66 Senior Member

That's a great overview. Oboz and Salomon are my favorite hiking boots as well.

It's not too early to start training for that climb :)

@munchau - one other thing... do try boots in the store. Different brands and models fit differently, just like dress shoes.

8. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy Hump day forum pals. In the wild.

IMG_2745.jpg

9. pacnyc

pacnyc Well-Known Member

+1 on Salomon.

10. Mr. Wonderbeak

Mr. Wonderbeak Senior Member

JA Cornwallis arrived last night. Ordered a 9d as it was all that was left. 9D in the 65 and 97. I was a bit skeptical of sizing due to the chisel, but I think these will play fine. V gap isn't too bad considering they aren't broken in, and the chisel is noticeable but not uncomfortable.

IMG_0452.JPG

11. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

B95EE3FC-D50B-41D0-A23A-73F81A83E5E2.jpeg
    No new shoes. Just old wife.

12. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

I think those will close up nicely. My McT's seemed to benefit from crosslacing to help close the gap, then I moved to (euro) bar once it was acceptable.

13. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

Also, not necessarily for overnight but great on day trips- Chacos. Bombproof Vibram sole, super secure (the Z/2 is at least, no experience with the Z/1), and great support. I wear mine at anything on or around water (kayaking, fishing, etc)

14. Mr. Wonderbeak

Mr. Wonderbeak Senior Member

I followed the same methodology with my McT's and had the same result. With the Cornwallis, I was more concerned with it being too narrow in the toe box with the chisel--but these seem OK.

15. up1911fan

up1911fan Distinguished Member

Another big Salomon fan here for hiking boots.