• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RitchieBro

Reaction score
Attempted a @St.Hubbins shot (a poor one, admittedly) for Wilbert Wednesday. Allen Edmonds shirt, Dry Fork belt matches perfectly.

30AE3410-D327-4784-97BF-2416D71BAF21.jpeg

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are probably next for me, and will be my first non AE in about 3 years. Did you size down as recommended on their website?

Was it confirmed that possibly Rancourt makes those?

I could not appreciate AE more than I do but with exception of a few items already ordered, my AE vault is done unless they reinstate MTO options and offer some new materials. Suede, CXL and common shell colors need not apply.

Almost 70 degrees today but still a bit of slushy stuff...
wearing 1954 Levi 501s after a wash to shrink em with brandy new Stirlings.

IMG_1872.jpg

danwatts2005

Reaction score
Was it confirmed that possibly Rancourt makes those?

I could not appreciate AE more than I do but with exception of a few items already ordered, my AE vault is done unless they reinstate MTO options and offer some new materials. Suede, CXL and common shell colors need not apply.

Almost 70 degrees today but still a bit of slushy stuff...
wearing 1954 Levi 501s after a wash to shrink em with brandy new Stirlings.

View attachment 929408

They are Oak Street Bootmakers.

Nice Stirlings, by the way. Mine are delivering today.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My question about bourbon was answered on the AE website, and they state that it does now use a different leather to walnut but used to use the same leather. Here's the answer:

"In the past we used the same leather for the Walnut and Bourbon styles and the difference between them was the finishing/burnishing. We currently use a different leather for the Bourbon styles."

It's on the bourbon McAllister ask/answer page. With luck, bourbon will be here to stay.
I bet that it is a better route to go. Less dependence on people creating the color instead of just finishing it off.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unboxed the acorn suede Caen (clearance +20% sale). Came with bags and 3 sets of laces. Haven't tried them on, but my initial impression is they will be going back - largely due to overlap with my other boot options, and partly due to a handful of tiny pen marks on one of the caps. With 3 HMs, slate Caen, Nordy MTO, Frieburg, etc., I think I am set on the hardier/work boot style. Plus my go-to bad weather boot is my golden LB.

I have been very happy with the translucent lug on a couple new boots, so part of me really wants to make these work. That said, I live in central Texas, and despite being a boot guy, these won't get much wear past April or May. Thoughts, fellow weasels?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unboxed the acorn suede Caen (clearance +20% sale). Came with bags and 3 sets of laces. Haven't tried them on, but my initial impression is they will be going back - largely due to overlap with my other boot options, and partly due to a handful of tiny pen marks on one of the caps. With 3 HMs, slate Caen, Nordy MTO, Frieburg, etc., I think I am set on the hardier/work boot style. Plus my go-to bad weather boot is my golden LB.

I have been very happy with the translucent lug on a couple new boots, so part of me really wants to make these work. That said, I live in central Texas, and despite being a boot guy, these won't get much wear past April or May. Thoughts, fellow weasels?

This is the reason I only own 2 boots (Dalton and HM) and was okay with sending the natty HMs back. Much of the year is too warm for them imho. The Caen and HM are inherently casual and work great with jeans, but if I’m casual April-October, chances are I’m in shorts. Hence, my loafer collection.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Higgly Miggly gets the call. I'm eyeing the Fossil Q Explorist. As mentioned though, I don't like knowing the watch will have an expiration date. I also hate that I'm wasting time thinking about a smartwatch haha
IMG_20180221_092022.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads