• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have the Mercer loafers? I saw the suede ones in store today and really liked the dark green. Price seems a little high at $340 though (and that’s on sale)
I tried on the dark green also. Did you like the 78 last? Seems a bit tight in D width. My usual size is 9.5B, so I get to play the try it on in D and guess if a B width will work.

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife likes blue shoes the most, too. My picture earlier doesn't really show the warm tones - I think this is a much more accurate picture. View attachment 1089110
Great stuff!
I'll get them next year for sure... hopefully they come back. Those plus a blue shell (hoping Carmina), and I'll be satisfied. ;p

20180815_175222.jpg

Aenonymous

Reaction score
View attachment 1088421 I tried on the Three Kings Blucher today. I don’t hate it, in fact I could see myself getting these one day. View attachment 1088422
Not thrilled about this upper work. No one saw this? Better QC? Well....
One more thing, this shoe is definitely not on the 511 last. I suspect the 42N but even that information is not available to the SA’s.
Maybe it's just the angle of the photo but I think the eye-stay is too wide and comes too far down towards the front of the shoe for a toe that looks that narrow.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you get lucky, and I was the only one who bid! Heck the trees are $20 alone. This pair of Shell is as heavy as my Florsheim gunboats, double soles too.
I also got mine with cedar trees included but for $160 instead of $67!—the seller accepted my offer but had to mention that they were worth more than 160 and I thought to myself “then why are you accepting my offer?-and including the trees!”

Aenonymous

Reaction score
My understanding is that they click most uppers in DR. They only click uppers for quick turnaround on new products. Then once the pipeline is full they go to DR.
My understanding is they click every possible thing they can in the DR, otherwise they lose a sliver of profit. That's my understanding, and my assumption has been all along that shell cordovan and Independence shoes don't deserve any special treatment over anything else. Click it all in the DR if at all possible. That seems to be confirmed now.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My goodness man! I favor the Alden NST over the Bradley for a more pronounced stitch but for $67 I could be swayed!!! Take my money! How did that work out??

It’s ironic @Joe Schmoe that my first pair of Shell were Bradley’s bought at PW. They had a single sole and never quite fit correctly from heel to the ball of the foot, although they were in my corr3ct Brannock size. Very frustrating, even tried to get them stretched. The NST in Shell looks great - ever see the Alden ones @smfdoc has? To me these are a classic look, much like LWB’s.

The Alden NST they mentioned. Black and whiskey shell.

C9BFAE8C-DD6B-4C19-B9DA-AC4207F843CD.jpeg
59C54658-3741-431B-92FA-14EF221B1399.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My understanding is they click every possible thing they can in the DR, otherwise they lose a sliver of profit. That's my understanding, and my assumption has been all along that shell cordovan and Independence shoes don't deserve any special treatment over anything else. Click it all in the DR if at all possible. That seems to be confirmed now.
I am not even sure why we refer to it as clicking anymore. They use a punch press now. There is no art to figuring out the best place to cut. Just slap down the leather and the machine punches the pieces out. If they do the “clicking” in PW, they pretty much have to get those few people in the plant that have done it in the past. But I am told it still occasionally happens up here. The shame of it all is that AE feels that they do not sew as well in the states anymore. Because they stopped trying. It is kind of like how they only stock certain widths in the retail stores with the PA only. If a customer comes in and needs a dress shoe in a B width that day in Oakbrook, he is walking out with a black PA. Maybe that is why it is the number one shoe.

schweezly

Reaction score
I tried on the dark green also. Did you like the 78 last? Seems a bit tight in D width. My usual size is 9.5D, so I get to play the try it on in D and guess if a B width will work.

I didn’t try them on. I had a tried a few other pairs and didn’t want to keep going. I’ll probably go back

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not even sure why we refer to it as clicking anymore. They use a punch press now. There is no art to figuring out the best place to cut. Just slap down the leather and the machine punches the pieces out. If they do the “clicking” in PW, they pretty much have to get those few people in the plant that have done it in the past. But I am told it still occasionally happens up here. The shame of it all is that AE feels that they do not sew as well in the states anymore. Because they stopped trying. It is kind of like how they only stock certain widths in the retail stores with the PA only. If a customer comes in and needs a dress shoe in a B width that day in Oakbrook, he is walking out with a black PA. Maybe that is why it is the number one shoe.

It's never made sense to me why they would do these first steps in a location thousands of miles away and then fly all those uppers to another location for completion. Seems like it would just be a lot more convenient and cheaper to have it done under one roof in Wisconsin. In regards to the boat shoes, I understand those cannot be made here as they wouldn't be able to sell them for $300. But with the heritage, Indy, and shell, I think they should ditch this DR clicking and put their actions where their advertisement is with the "Port Washington" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads