1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2018 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fueco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. armedferret

armedferret Distinguished Member

Drill weekend. Not even close.

2. audog

audog Distinguished Member

Did the injury happen on base? If so, seems like an honorable medical discharge to me. With full retirement benefits of course.

3. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Senior Member

When I had my aortic valve replaced they wired my sternum back together with Titanium wire and used super glue for everything soft between my Adam's apple and my stomach. Kept the scar fairly small, actually.

4. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Distinguished Member

Random thoughts inspired by some of today's posts.

* Some shoe nerds would argue the Cambridge is an oxford but not a balmoral because it has one or more seams other than the cap toe seam that descends to the welt. Under that definition, no short wing would qualify for balmoral status.

* Speaking of the Cambridge, as much as I love my burgundy pair, for some they could be relegated - like the walnut Strand - to "shelf queen" status, i.e. a great looking shoe but as a practical matter, one infrequently worn. If one tends to wear only oxfords with suits, the shell material, heavy brogueing, and double sole - all casual elements - don't make it a top choice for the typical worsted wool conservative business suit. Or maybe a better way to say it is the plain captoe in ones closet will be reached for first, usually for good reason. That said, if one has a deep enough suit collection to occasional pull out a heavy flannel or even a tweed suit, the Cambridge is pimptastic. But as others have noted, a burg shell PTB is going to be more versatile for most.

* For someone wanting to dip his toe into the shell pool, I think a great first shell purchase would be a brown or burg shell loafer or LWB. A full blown shell gunboat, like the Macneil or its Alden equivalent or a vintage Florsheim, is an American icon. A big fender, heavy chrome, Jane Russel chasing @#$%kicker. Sometimes you need a scalpel and sometimes you need a Bowie knife. While for some there is a place for delicate, pointy toed, SF approved, prissy Euro shoes, sometimes it is time to bring out the sledgehammer and without apologies. Anyone here with red blood in his veins and 15+ dress shoes who doesn't have a pair of shell longwings should have his passport checked. "Hey, who plays shortstop for the Dodgers?"

* God bless the folks working in an ER, any ER.

* @savvysartorial you seem to be bouncing between 11D and 11.5D ... Have you tried an 11E?

* The other night I noticed no one was posting pics of plain captoe oxfords with blue jeans. It was wonderful. Then I awoke and realized I was merely dreaming. (I keed I keed)

* Speaking of dreams ... Dear AE: Please take your now retired Fifth Street oxford boot, put it on a more friendly 201 last, ditch the medallion, and add the contrasting shaft of the Sullivan Street. Either suede or grain (or peccary; your choice). Take my money.

5. Jeff d

Jeff d Well-Known Member

If you don’t mind me asking what is the price for the 2nd? If you don’t feel comfortable posting the cost, please pm me.

6. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

I have zero LWBs (in fact, I only have the Dalton and one more...exotic boot as wingtips), but I still loved everything about this post. I did the ferret thing of liking and the unliking so I could do it again.

Oh, and Count - I’m unrepentant in my stance on LWBs. Nothing against them in theory, and I frequently like posts of others featuring LWBs, but not my cup of tea (or grain alcohol, or whatever).

7. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

In England and other foreign countries the above statement is correct and most people selling shoes know that. In the US shoe companies use the word pretty much interchangeably with oxford. Or just do what was taught at Hanover and use the term Bal-Oxford. They just married them and we had a Bal-Oxford lineup.

8. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

Is there an easy way to distinguish a Blucher from a derby? And does it matter?

9. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

87768A9D-A2C0-411E-BE7B-330A21BF3985.jpeg
    Going with Maxfield today. Up until recently I loved this shoe. But now I am thinking about selling off and getting myself a welted handsewn like they are selling now.

10. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

Happy Friday gentlemen! A little non-AE natty CXL today.

3082D13A-20DD-47E4-A843-1BED7DD846B4.jpeg

C21822C3-0961-4A9E-8FC5-673BFA0C6C21.jpeg

11. sterlingindigo

sterlingindigo Senior Member

With all due respect Count, under that definition it would appear nothing but a wholecut would qualify with ‘one or more seams other than the captoe’ as most have at least one back seam descending to the welt. FWIW, I don’t consider overlay brogueing as a proper seam but maybe I should because I want to be a shoe nerd, someday. Henceforth, I shall refer to closed lacing system shoes as oxfords, dilly dilly.

In regards to gas guzzling sexualized violence, you know, I regret selling my shell LWB for the Cambridge. I think you’re spot on about that point, wish for a do-over, and probably deserve not getting the Dodger’s joke. Also, not a fan of jeans and captoes. To each his own-dilly dilly.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 5:13 AM

12. armedferret

Fun fact: doc offered me NINETY (90) oxy pills last night. In related news, "experts" are still bewildered as to the causes behind the country's opioid crisis.

13. instigateur

instigateur Senior Member

The end of your hand modeling career.

14. armedferret

At least for Allstate. Watches i should still be GTG

15. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

[​IMG] That's cray.

I don't even like taking the Tylenol with codeine (though when I had an abscessed tooth I was grateful for them, but only took a few)