1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2018 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fueco, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

Kid is pretending to be sick today, so I am at home with him. SO no AE today!

2. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

Blake stitch interior.JPG
    I keep wondering why AE would refer to the Italian line as Bologna cemented construction. They are Blake stitched and made just like my Bologna Blake stitched shoes that I have at home. The upper is sewn into a tube and lasted. The upper is cemented to the upper and then a thin midsole is sewn to the upper and an outsole is glued and sewn. As you can see, this pair has two blake stitches for each component. I have other blake stitched shoes where the second blake stitch is sewn to the midsole on the outside of the shoe, making it look like a GYW from a casual glance. Not a fan of the latter, I would rather see a very close sole upper attachment. Now we all know that in GYW the outsole is cemented to the cork and welt before it is stitched. I just would not call any of my shoes cemented if I were selling shoes.

3. Bertie Wooster

Bertie Wooster Active Member

20% off factory seconds on the website - 'limited time only'. No price change on shoebank.

Anyone know if the outlets will honor the discount in store?

4. Shoenut

I enjoy my Bellevue under the same conditions. At least you are a 3 time Dundee shell SOB. The one AE shoe that eludes me.

5. Shoenut

They have always in the past. I have always asked for price matching in regular AE stores. I saw a Cavanaugh on sale in my size last year at Nordstrom for about $100 off. Sent an email to my SA with proof that they had my size and he matched that no problem.

6. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

Man, I need to catch up on pages still before I get too far behind. Choco suede MD’s for some super sh*tty weather:
    92528950-FC18-4A1C-9E23-3D23544FBF01.jpeg

Tweed weather:
    67293D3B-FA9F-4B33-8FA5-C78861291535.jpeg

That Moon patch tho:
    3BD02BC7-F2E0-45DF-9FCA-5967D926CCAA.jpeg

7. M2511

M2511 Distinguished Member

Ah good old rain drops.... Pretty much just take a wet cloth and get the entire shoe damp, basically what the vcleat post said though I arrived at the solution sorta by accident. Anyway I wipe them down then either brush, VSC and brush, saphir cord neutral (or colored) cream and brush. Bumps go away. I do find it takes a bit more to get rid of the bumps on aldens but still get them to go away nonetheless.

8. Mr. Wonderbeak

Mr. Wonderbeak Senior Member

9. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

Thanks! J Crew from Fall 2008- found it nwt on eBay a couple years ago. It’s unlined and thick and awesome lol

10. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Distinguished Member

11. Mr. Wonderbeak

Mr. Wonderbeak Senior Member

Channeling you today :)

12. Aenonymous

Aenonymous Senior Member

FYI, AE isn't taking D width shoes and simply marking them E. European retailers generally prefer and buy E width shoes from US makers, because the European consumer prefers to wear their shoes shorter, and for that reason needs some extra width.

13. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

How would a shorter show mean you need it wider?

14. matwa

matwa Senior Member

I awoke this morning thinking of Chili holes....

So, I put on the Chili Varno

11-09-18 Chili Varno.jpg

15. Aenonymous

Aenonymous Senior Member

Let's assume you wear a 10.5D comfortably. If you put the same shoe on in a 10D you'd feel pinched, because it's now not only shorter but also not enough width (the shoe gets shorter but also incrementally narrower even though it's a D width - everything sizes down by scale). But if you put on a 10E you'd have the shortness (what the European gent prefers) but now you have the extra width (which is closer to what you had in the 10.5D). So in the end you're just wearing a shorter shoe, but you don't feel cramped otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.