1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2018 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fueco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. audog

audog Distinguished Member

So sorry to hear of your friend's passing.

2. instigateur

instigateur Senior Member

Sorry for your loss. I've lost more than a few pet buddies. My 13 year old English Bulldog was especially rough.

3. audog

audog Distinguished Member

WoodLore Shoe Tree sale just emailed to me BOGO on adjustable trees, if anyone needs more trees for their footwear.

4. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Distinguished Member

When I look backwards, my appreciation of AE is boundless.
    IMG_0023.jpeg
    2014 (RIP MTO) Natty Leeds with Bullard Field Pants.

So many textures, materials, thickness variations and then...shades of green.

The Bullards above are from the post buyout Bills, not as thick or awesome as the original Bullards, but the lines you see create a whole different pant than the earlier olive. My own answer to that question includes summer only, winter only and mid weather greens, so, lol, maybe, *15 pairs?

*Conservatively estimated

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

5. Vocans

Vocans Senior Member

The number of bals in my collection is certainly dwindling but every once in a while I need to wear a pair. Shell Strands today.

20181109_084133.jpg

6. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

ECCD5618-E61E-4454-BDCA-FB9CF964CACB.jpeg
    Light snow means HM for the day. Since I use my Natty CXL for rain and snow, I suspect they will all be mid brown in a year.

7. AEShoeMan

AEShoeMan Senior Member

Happy Friday fellas! A decent dusting of snow and 19 degrees outside called for the HMs today. Have a good one as we head into the weekend!
    20181109_070605.jpg 20181109_070650.jpg 20181109_082109.jpg

8. darkclassic

darkclassic Senior Member

Snow = wearing one of my favorite crappy weather shoes, the Bellevue.

bellevue.jpg

9. EZB

EZB Well-Known Member

Kid is pretending to be sick today, so I am at home with him. SO no AE today!

10. Shoenut

Blake stitch interior.JPG
    I keep wondering why AE would refer to the Italian line as Bologna cemented construction. They are Blake stitched and made just like my Bologna Blake stitched shoes that I have at home. The upper is sewn into a tube and lasted. The upper is cemented to the upper and then a thin midsole is sewn to the upper and an outsole is glued and sewn. As you can see, this pair has two blake stitches for each component. I have other blake stitched shoes where the second blake stitch is sewn to the midsole on the outside of the shoe, making it look like a GYW from a casual glance. Not a fan of the latter, I would rather see a very close sole upper attachment. Now we all know that in GYW the outsole is cemented to the cork and welt before it is stitched. I just would not call any of my shoes cemented if I were selling shoes.

11. Bertie Wooster

Bertie Wooster Member

20% off factory seconds on the website - 'limited time only'. No price change on shoebank.

Anyone know if the outlets will honor the discount in store?

12. Shoenut

I enjoy my Bellevue under the same conditions. At least you are a 3 time Dundee shell SOB. The one AE shoe that eludes me.

13. Shoenut

They have always in the past. I have always asked for price matching in regular AE stores. I saw a Cavanaugh on sale in my size last year at Nordstrom for about $100 off. Sent an email to my SA with proof that they had my size and he matched that no problem.

14. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

Man, I need to catch up on pages still before I get too far behind. Choco suede MD’s for some super sh*tty weather:
    92528950-FC18-4A1C-9E23-3D23544FBF01.jpeg

Tweed weather:
    67293D3B-FA9F-4B33-8FA5-C78861291535.jpeg

That Moon patch tho:
    3BD02BC7-F2E0-45DF-9FCA-5967D926CCAA.jpeg

15. M2511

M2511 Distinguished Member

Ah good old rain drops.... Pretty much just take a wet cloth and get the entire shoe damp, basically what the vcleat post said though I arrived at the solution sorta by accident. Anyway I wipe them down then either brush, VSC and brush, saphir cord neutral (or colored) cream and brush. Bumps go away. I do find it takes a bit more to get rid of the bumps on aldens but still get them to go away nonetheless.