• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does this mean I get the weasel award? :)

Your weaselness was acknowledged yesterday - immediately.

I knew they were coming, you were first alert of arrival. In another life, I would be taking advantage of this preorder moment to discuss a variety of materials and 'options' but I am done buying. (lol, I guess)

DawgPound

Reaction score
Looks great!
Gotta support my fellow desert weasel. There are three of us now!

Ha! That’s awesome! I get a kick out of seeing roycru’s photo posts of areas I recognize. I moved here a little over 10 years ago and recall how I felt with how different the area is from where I used to live.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep! Actually, that size caused me a little hesitation. Normally with AE, I’m 11 3E. On brannock, I’m 11.5 2E. I’ve not had a shoe with that last, so I figured to give it a shot for that price. Fit is a little snug, but it’ll work.
I saw that pair. Congrats; I would have strongly considered them had I not already gotten a pair. I had my SA pre-stretch mine a bit to make allowances for my 2E left foot. If you're looking for a few extra pairs, you might check my signature. ;p

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, while Alden DOES build whiskey, cigar, and ravello currently, bear in mind you could be waiting YEARS for a pair. @St Hubbins got EXTREMELY lucky to snag his whiskey so early in the game. Hell, I only have ravello because of TSM's misstep with their first come first serve rare shells; I waited a few hours since it wasn't my ideal size before grabbing. I don't feel bad because they had an opportunity, and I wasn't a flipper...

That's one thing that kind of kills me about Alden, the wait times!

As far as I know, Alden has never done natty shell. There is some kind of tone/burnishing on AE's natty shell, though, and Whiskey is a pretty close approximate in some batches. Alden changes at a glacial pace... (hell, maybe slower than glacial these days...)

I'll skip the whole AE vs. Alden thing other than to say that AE at non-sale prices is a no-brainer to spend the (now pretty nominal) difference to get the Alden.

Yes I'd probably agree with you. They make most of the same styles now so I could see buying Alden. I only have a couple pair of Alden shell loafers I got for a song on eBay a few weeks back. However, Alden will never touch the AE sale prices and I'll never (I say that now) buy full price shoes. Maybe someday when I have the means/coin to do such a thing.

If you want brogue oxford similar to Strand in natural shell or something similar, your best bet is to look into Carmina. They are waiving the MTO fee today and tomorrow, and you can customize the heck out of it. Forget about Alden in this color/model. I am not sure if AE will ever do another Trunk show. And yes, I will be an a-hole :) :devil::stirpot:

View attachment 1056084

LOL. What Carmina model even closely approximates the strand?? Alden's is pretty close... I've heard lots of good things about Carmina.

A lot has been made of the flexibility of Rancourt when ordering custom. You may want to call and ask if adding pinking to that style is an option.

I'll seriously look into it! Is there a name I should be dealing with? And do I have a reference here? Could Rancourt even do something like the 65 last the Strand is on? Love that last and its look...

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your weaselness was acknowledged yesterday - immediately.

I knew they were coming, you were first alert of arrival. In another life, I would be taking advantage of this preorder moment to discuss a variety of materials and 'options' but I am done buying. (lol, I guess)

Awww, you knew they were coming.

Weasel exception number 6, "if the purchasing party (buyer) has knowledge of footwear goodness prior to pre sale availability, and attempted weaseling occurs after the buyer has already committed to acquire said goodness (mentally, verbally, or written) then weaseling credit does not apply."

Bummer. I hate all these "rules."

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off topic, but this tequila is amazing. It's going to be a long night...
20181019_211846.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Awww, you knew they were coming.

Weasel exception number 6, "if the purchasing party (buyer) has knowledge of footwear goodness prior to pre sale availability, and attempted weaseling occurs after the buyer has already committed to acquire said goodness (mentally, verbally, or written) then weaseling credit does not apply."

Bummer. I hate all these "rules."
And where are these "rules" posted, and are they flexible - more like suggestions than rules. Also, if we break them, what happens. Do we get a mark on our permanent record, or points against our profile. I think we all need to know. Have a great weekend!!! It's US GP weekend!!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's one thing that kind of kills me about Alden, the wait times!

Yes I'd probably agree with you. They make most of the same styles now so I could see buying Alden. I only have a couple pair of Alden shell loafers I got for a song on eBay a few weeks back. However, Alden will never touch the AE sale prices and I'll never (I say that now) buy full price shoes. Maybe someday when I have the means/coin to do such a thing.

LOL. What Carmina model even closely approximates the strand?? Alden's is pretty close... I've heard lots of good things about Carmina.

I'll seriously look into it! Is there a name I should be dealing with? And do I have a reference here? Could Rancourt even do something like the 65 last the Strand is on? Love that last and its look...
Most def not on 65 last or even close; you'd be looking at their equivalent to 511. only overlap is the 511 and 555

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Carmina seems to have very flexible MTO program. Here is one in natural shell and you can add a medallion. There are few others.

141AEEA8-F748-4D4E-ADCE-54360C07FF64.png

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha. You are a very good and helpful weasel. I appreciate all your help with the brand. Not much time left and I need to make a decision. Are you sitting out?

Probably. Thinking about a burgundy calf and suede boot, but just made a pretty spectacular pickup and may lay low for a while.

What are you thinking of getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads