• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I finally had a Taco Tuesday. I’ve been living vicariously thru @orange fury postings.
7AEAD6FE-143E-49C0-8AC1-ECF262564138.jpeg
4725FE91-0F32-4902-B660-5699560B2C31.jpeg
C485F3D8-5664-4085-A9BC-91E4C286C228.jpeg

Pretty cool place in Phoenix, Taco Guild. Highly recommended.

LLEE

Reaction score
I'd return. I don't like the way the lining is bulging on the side in the last picture. For good measure, make sure you also tell them the shoes you ordered had a different insole than these, the writing is in the wrong direction, and that you're missing shoe bags.
This shouldn’t be missed.
I hate to contribute negative feelings towards someone else’s joy, but that lining is completely unacceptable, especially when you consider the sale was purported to be to help clear ‘poor’ quality older stock.

RaiderATO

Reaction score
Did you visit Lee Chapel? Such a beautiful place. Shame that they removed the flags.
The wedding was in Lee Chapel. We couldn't really see back into the crypt.

The groom's father went to W&L, and our fraternity (ATΩ) was founded at VMI. It was my first visit to Lexington and we loved walking around both campuses. I preferred their chapel to W&L's.

Here's a monument for the "Lexington Triad". The 3 fraternities founded at VMI and W&L.

IMG_6486.JPG

And we stayed overnight in New Market where the VMI cadets participated in the Battle of New Market (all 3 of ATΩ's founders participated). We didn't make it to the VA Civil War Museum in town, but we stopped quickly at this:

IMG_6490.JPG

This is a Union monument to the 54th PA volunteer regiment that suffered heavy losses at the "bloody cedars", which are still there.

4th year VMI cadets make the 3-day trek (barefoot, apparently) every year from Lexington to New Market for the anniversary.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are used to department store denim, expect really thick/stiff jeans that will take a few wears to break in and be comfortable. There are exceptions, but generally speaking this holds true.
As my wife likes to call them - the cardboard jeans.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose there is closure now pertaining to #CaenGate. After my fourth conversation, the customer service representative told me they are not in stock and have been canceled. With all of the back and forth, I must admit everyone that I spoke with was very pleasant and tried to be as accommodating as possible. I think the new customer service may still be a work in progress, maybe they need more time to get acquainted with their customer base's wants and expectations. Maybe...

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who’s doing that one? Thought AoC, but they’re selected seems reduced lately.

I sort of forgot about that one. Will have to see if it’s in stock in my size. I’m ideally choosing from something in stock so I can enjoy it during the autumn and winter. I really would like a natural CXL Indy, but only with 360 welt and commando. And that’s a preorder in my size with December delivery. The country calf balmoral at B+M is appealing for at least a couple reasons, but not a boot. There’s the Hummus Indy that’s been calling my name. Then over at AoC there’s a dandy Aberdeen color 8 WTB and the Indy you mentioned. All would be great. A big problem for me is coming up with just one that I can convince myself I want more than the others. I’m putting extra pressure on myself because I know I’ll never be the guy with fifteen Indy boots. Not that anyone would be crazy enough to buy fifteen Indy boots.

Here is another photo to weasel you in.
E3282EFE-F4C8-4CDF-8FCB-F3A91DF555A0.jpeg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For you experts on recrafting, I have a question/concern. My bourbon Delray's are already as snug as I can handle with a shoe. I've read and even heard an AE salesman tell me when shoes come back from recrafting, they are "usually a little tighter." I sent off my Clark Street shoes back in 2015 to have them change the sole. When they returned, they didn't feel any more snug than previous, but they are a somewhat generous shoe to begin with. What I wanted to know is in your experience, does recrafting usually tighten them up? I think I'm going to be screwed on my Delray's as they would hurt my feet if they were any more snug. Also, if this is true that shoes come back tighter, would it be wiser to buy shoes that fit a little more generous?

Also, is the Palm Beach being unclearanced? Suddenly, there's a lot of them available.

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RTh
View attachment 1041650 MD Chukkas delivered to the office today as I’m preparing for a quick trip out of town.

Preliminary reaction based on a very quick look over is positive. I’m loving the color, which is a true dark olive/army green. Darker than the color shown on the M.D. website, and not the odd blue-gray-green shown in dabondos photos. Coincidentally, I’m wearing an olive/army green corduroy jacket today, The sleeve of which is shown in the photo for color comparison.

Edit: they came in the new, upscale box, with no shoe bags! glad I bought some recently!
Those look great - looking forward to mine when I get home from this trip in a few days!

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For you experts on recrafting, I have a question/concern. My bourbon Delray's are already as snug as I can handle with a shoe. I've read and even heard an AE salesman tell me when shoes come back from recrafting, they are "usually a little tighter." I sent off my Clark Street shoes back in 2015 to have them change the sole. When they returned, they didn't feel any more snug than previous, but they are a somewhat generous shoe to begin with. What I wanted to know is in your experience, does recrafting usually tighten them up? I think I'm going to be screwed on my Delray's as they would hurt my feet if they were any more snug. Also, if this is true that shoes come back tighter, would it be wiser to buy shoes that fit a little more generous?

Also, is the Palm Beach being unclearanced? Suddenly, there's a lot of them available.
When the shoes are recrafted, they are re-corked. So the footbed settling that had occurred from wear goes away — until they wear in again. That’s why they will feel more snug at first.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When the shoes are recrafted, they are re-corked. So the footbed settling that had occurred from wear goes away — until they wear in again. That’s why they will feel more snug at first.
They do replace the cork, but my experience is that it doesn't remold the footbed.
I took it as when they relast all the stretching is reset?

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to work early today to because the early bird gets the chukkas.

Wore Loden chukkas in...
LodenDundee2.png

Grabbed the package...
IMG_3314.jpg
My first view of the new box...
IMG_3315.jpg

Indoor compare to Loden Dundee 2
IMG_3316.jpg

outdoor (cloudy) compare to loden
IMG_3317.jpg

I like the color very much as I hoped. Moss green, more of a commitment to green than loden which can cross over with so many colors.

And the contrast stitching? It is not like white toed Indys, it is a more subtle contrast -- not very apparent from 6 feet away. On all fronts, a nice AE delivery here.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to work early today to because the early bird gets the chukkas.

Wore Loden chukkas in...
View attachment 1042111
Grabbed the package...
View attachment 1042112
My first view of the new box...
View attachment 1042113
Indoor compare to Loden Dundee 2
View attachment 1042114
outdoor (cloudy) compare to loden
View attachment 1042116

I like the color very much as I hoped. Moss green, more of a commitment to green than loden which can cross over with so many colors.

And the contrast stitching? It is not like white toed Indys, it is a more subtle contrast -- not very apparent from 6 feet away. On all fronts, a nice AE delivery here.

Love it. I love how saturated the green is- how it’s definitely green in all lighting. I’ve always liked the Loden Dundees, but this color is exactly what I was looking for. Can’t wait to get mine later today.

And I’m kind of irritated that suddenly there’s apparently a bunch of Palm Beaches in my size, when mine still have that weave issue. With old AE, I’m sure I could’ve ordered a price-matched replacement, but now I don’t know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads