1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2018 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fueco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. aero25

aero25 Distinguished Member

I'd wager that within the marketing office at the Mother Ship, signing Baker Mayfield to a contract is viewed as a huge coup! To a large extent, I agree. It will bring brand credibility to a market that AE/Calares are clearly trying to court with the new lingo. If we're lucky, there will be distinct lines, and premium shoes will remain beyond just the classics. My hope is that there will be quality options in the casual dress shoe styles, not just Surrey, Tate, and Whitney, and in sizes available beyond D and EEE widths, at least as an order item. I can wait a couple months for a dublin MacNeil to be made if they don't want to carry slower moving inventory.

2. CommanderMcBragg

CommanderMcBragg Well-Known Member

Speaking of shell cordovan, I purchased a pair of lightly-worn, original-soled mid-1990s MacNeils off the popular auction site last week, and I am GEEKED UP because usps.com advises they have just been delivered to my mailbox; I may have to head home for lunch today. If I open them to find they look anywhere near as cool as they do in the photos, I will be thrilled. It's not the new monotone eggplant/burgundy color, but the "3D" brown-burgundy with amazing patina where each of the panels has a slightly different hue. One guess as to what shoes I will be wearing to work tomorrow...

A special thanks to forum member "wasmisterfu" for sharing his encyclopedic knowledge of vintage AE with me. I'd sent him some questions about a pair of the 8221 Sheltons I was monitoring (and won as well) when this particular pair of cordovan MacNeils popped up. He gave the thumbs up--along with a detailed decoding of the printed info inside the shoes--and so I quickly went back and made like a sledgehammer on the buy-it-now button...

s-l1600.jpg

I will report back tomorrow with photos once I have them in hand.

3. RMB35

RMB35 Senior Member

I agree that Mayfield seems like a good choice for the market they are after. I read somewhere that his jersey sales were in the NFL top 10.

4. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

The "3D" effect you are describing is a natural property of shell. Viewing from different angles will result in the panels looking lighter or darker. It's a wonderful thing. Some people don't like it, and will pay for the EG and G&G level shoes to make sure all the panels color change at the same direction. I prefer the color changes to be different per panel myself. Hope you love them!

5. 2Deuce2

2Deuce2 Distinguished Member

Thanks @audog great article

6. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Distinguished Member

Unless your definition of “better denim” means that it doesn’t fade.

Of course I’m just horsing around here, but you must admit that it’s at least slightly ironic.

7. 2Deuce2

2Deuce2 Distinguished Member

Epic song there @Thrift Couture

8. Thrift Couture

Thrift Couture Distinguished Member

I remember it vividly from my high school days. Lol!

9. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

Like I said, there’s a lot more to it. Better denim can fade, or not. My point in comparing it to shoes is that anything can look like quality after one wear. It’s how it looks after 200 wears that separates the wheat from the chaff.

10. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Distinguished Member

Yep time will tell. I’m basically a raw denim and selvedge denim infant at this point. I’ve read a bit. I understand for the most part what people seem to like about raw denim. I’ll just be evaluating things from my own perspective. This will be based on whether or not I like the looks of them as they are new and as they age, based on their durability certainly, but taken into consideration most definitely will be this budget price. I was sick of my washed denim Levi’s blowing up after a couple years of light to medium duty. Trying some other options I found that I enjoy the feel of a slightly heftier fabric. I also gave in and decided that I dig the look of the “selvedge ID” and occasionally at least cuffing your jeans. So, I’m going to go about getting that look and increasing the durability of my garments (hopefully at least) for the most reasonable cost possible. Of course I’m always reevaluating, so ask me next year and my answer will most likely be different.

11. up1911fan

up1911fan Distinguished Member

No AE's, but it's gonna be a really good week for incoming footwear in my house. Today's pairing was Alden Jungle Boots and brown cords.

20180924_132810.jpg

12. Thrift Couture

I know they're not Leeds, but for $79 and a little elbow grease, I couldn't complain. Still a work in progress.
    IMG_20180924_1317072~2.jpg

13. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Distinguished Member

At the first trunk show 11-20-2014, Paul G and Skip Horween did a meet and greet in NYC.

I wore these MTO shell Bayfields to thank Paul personally for green lighting the MTO, years after the Bayfield was retired.
    (full price but unobtanium)

IMG_3292 2.jpg IMG_3295.jpg

14. Thrift Couture

Worth it!

15. up1911fan

up1911fan Distinguished Member

Nice pick up. I keep considering a 990 or pair of leeds, I just typically prefer some broguing on my shoes. At the minimum, a cap toe for dress shoes. I think I just like a little visual interest over a plain toe.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018