1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2018 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fueco, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sf335xi

sf335xi Active Member

Switch Google chrome to "desktop site" and your woes will end.

In Chrome for Android, click the three vertical dots in the upper right corner then the option should be about 2/3rds of the way down the list.

2. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

I still haven't seen it in person, but from what I can tell, it looks good. It appears it's one of the better decisions AE has made recently. I love the dark brown stuff, but I already have plenty of it and would welcome a new kind of brown like this.

3. DRJames

DRJames Senior Member

Edited - replied to the wrong person!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018

4. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Thanks for the additional take. I was surprised with how high they actually look on you. I'm looking for a higher rise for my new jeans.
    You certainly didn't get much rain as you went through amarillo!

5. up1911fan

up1911fan Distinguished Member

Looking for a higher rise slim fit as well, that doesn't cost $200.

6. DRJames

DRJames Senior Member

I haven’t read to the end of the thread, so this may have already been answered, but I can’t speak highly enough of Epaulet’s Doyle. I bought two last year and have two more on the way this year. Great quality, lots of interesting fabrics offered, and a great casual jacket that is easy to dress up if you’re not feeling a sport coat.

7. instigateur

instigateur Distinguished Member

You are not alone.

8. wasmisterfu

wasmisterfu Distinguished Member

Wow, I’m not even a boot person, but those are gorgeous!

9. wasmisterfu

wasmisterfu Distinguished Member

Wow. That’s cold.

10. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

Gustin is good. My only experience with them has been a gray sweatshirt that is wonderful and very well made. I’m looking at possibly getting a pair of Gustins though. Also looking at the 21oz pair of Unbrandeds.

Sorry to hear that, mine should be getting here Thursday...

Love those, would love to get a pair

Jealous of the white tie event. The only thing close I’ve been to have been black tie optional events. I do try to wear my black tie rig with my navy velvet DJ during the holidays as much as possible.

Those look great. My black tie shoes are current Florsheims- still patent bals with a leather sole, but made who knows where.

If I’m indoors, I also opt for velvet PA slippers :cheers:

I really wish Netflix would do another season of that...

No experience with those, but I do have a LL Bean barn coat I got for my birthday several years ago (actually, it’s the last birthday present I got from my grandmama before she passed, so I’ll never get rid of it). It’s a great jacket- pretty lightweight (so not ideal for cold weather) but lots of room for layering and very durable.

Since he’s on the Rockets now, I’ll let you know how I feel come January

Looking back at the pic, it is pretty decent. I’ll compare them with my Levi’s tomorrow but they seem to be pretty similar (the Levi’s might have a slightly taller rise).

Levi 501 STF, or Wrangler 13MWZ for super high rise.

I actually love my Wranglers- they use sturdy, American made denim, have a high rise and slim leg, and can be found for $15-$20. I use mine as work pants (I like darker washes for buttondowns/sport coats), but they work great as beaters (and for rodeos, for that matter)

11. 2Deuce2

2Deuce2 Distinguished Member

True!

12. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

Does GS make widths?

13. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

Thanks! As for fit, would you order your normal SC size?

thanks! will check it out. LLB usually does a pretty good job with their stuff

14. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

Mine is the flannel lined version (the lightest one)- if you need heavier, they do have a couple options. The gusseted shoulders are awesome though, as are all the pockets

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018

15. cc808314

cc808314 Distinguished Member

I was at a retail store yesterday. It was depressing with half the store filled with garbage. Then, they had these small signs explaining what “Speed welt” and “Bench welt” are. Unbelievable! The only thing that stood out was Stirling in brown Dublin. They were nice with sturdy feel to them. No way I will pay $495, but might pull the trigger for about 50% off (too close to my original McTavish). Who knows, this boot might be the last decent thing coming out of AE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.