1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2018 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fueco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Distinguished Member

I own 2 pairs, they are upscale (for Cole Haan!) and I like mine as beaters. That is their nickname though.

2. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

2iifc3.jpg

3. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

Lol. Thought everyone was in on the Tate joke.

4. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

I agree. Company speak is that they are land locked and cannot build up. If they wanted to add capacity, they sure could.

5. RMB35

RMB35 Senior Member

[QUOTE="wasmisterfu, post: 9477031, member: 291423"

This is what makes Caleres’ direction so worrying to fans, nobody does what AE (and other long-gone American shoe companies) have historically done: produce a slowly evolving core line, with lots of sizing options, combined with a lot of special and seasonal models. So there is no replacing AE, they are (or at least were) the last of the quality shoe companies following that old American model of having a broad catalog (of stuff that isn’t sneakers) and that’s what’s bugging people. We want the Broadstreet’s, the Shelton/Polo’s, the weird MacNeil Web-gems, the Rudolph’s, etc.. We want the sharkskin Chester’s, the alligator Leed’s and our MTO options back. But it seems like the stuff we like is getting sidelined for a whole bunch of crap (even though it’s clear that it’s the sidelined stuff that’s still selling, not the new stuff).

Just my 2cents.[/QUOTE]

No matter how dumb Caleres is I find it unlikely they are sidelining popular (volume wise) models. I think the more likely scenario is that models we like do not sell as well as the new crappy models. Just walk through the Nordstrom shoe department for what is currently popular.

6. Thrift Couture

Thrift Couture Distinguished Member

At the end of the day you buy what you like, be it AE, Alden, GS, Rancourt, Carmina, C&J, EG, Bonafe, or what have you. I personally don't get too wrapped up into a particular brand, because I've been amazed and disappointed by all that I have tried. For example, I have never tried Rancourt. From the looks of it they make amazing stuff, but I personally tend to shy away from blake welted shoes. That may change in the future, but for now I wouldn't invest in a pair unless I found them greatly discounted. Same goes for Carmina, beautiful shoes but I have to try a discounted pair first. That's what I did with Meermin, and I discovered they weren't my particular brand of vodka with a minimal investment. I'll still continue to look for and buy older AE styles thru the secondary market. Hell, most of my shoe are purchased pre-owned. Thats part of the fun... Lol! Just enjoy what you acquire, what you have, and wear in good health!

7. audog

audog Distinguished Member

I would agree with you, the nick would drive me nuts.

8. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Well, I thought I had coined the term "taint" in reference to the Tate line. I did some searching and it turns out that @2Deuce2 has used the term first in March 2017 and I did it again in August. Story of my life. Always a day late and a dollar short.

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Thrifting on the first day of autumn in 93 degree LA heat.

IMG_3646.jpg

10. jpm1

jpm1 Senior Member

All on point. Not sure where you got the 250,000 number so perhaps that holds true today. AE opened a new/larger factory in ‘13/‘14. The factory that abuts the shoe bank (built after the fire in the 80’s) and HQ was supposed to be repurposed for smaller production runs.

11. jpm1

jpm1 Senior Member

I believe taint was coined with a much different meaning here....

Reference urban dictionary

12. aero25

aero25 Distinguished Member

But not from work!!

Seriously though, yes, the saying has been around for a long time, but was semi-repurposed here for the general dislike of the Tate lineup. Perhaps a little harsh, but it's taken off pretty well.

13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

The actual/urbandictionary definition of “taint” was implied with the above posts. They simply assumed that everyone knows that taint = grundle = gross, and by the transitive property it’s obvious that if Tate = Taint, then Tate = Gross.

14. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

I inquired about the "relaxed fit" of the Bowrey boot. Initial reply was "fits like our other boots". Quite helpful this info! Sounds like they are trying to reduce the usage of lasts for fit advice, like Calares' other brands? We're inquiring further about the last being used. Might have to wait on @Neo1 to update his guide!

15. SpicyUnagi

SpicyUnagi Member

Will any of the retail locations still honor the additional discounts they had a few weeks ago on all the Brown First Quality Clearance shoes, particularly the McAllister w/ Dainite, Fifth Ave w/ Dainite, Strand w/ Dainite, and Dalton Boots.

The shoes are $317 on the website as of today, and the boots at $377. I know one of the retail locations was offering 40% off those prices, from reading the forum posts back a few weeks ago, but as I've been calling most of the retail locations today, no one's been willing to do it.

PM me if you know what store it is, I want to purchase all of them. TY

PW HQ wouldn't do it yesterday either in store.