• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brogue One

Reaction score
Maybe I can get a PA after all. I like it.

Do it! Personally, I like mine a lot. They just feel better-made, sturdier, of better leather. Maybe it’s all in my head; I don’t know. But I actually did up a pair of 2nds in Walnut on clearance to wear mainly with casual pants and jeans.

Looking back at my comment above, I’m ready to admit I have a shoe problem.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BD322D33-308B-487B-99F3-48A9EAD988FA.jpeg
Do it! Personally, I like mine a lot. They just feel better-made, sturdier, of better leather. Maybe it’s all in my head; I don’t know. But I actually did up a pair of 2nds in Walnut on clearance to wear mainly with casual pants and jeans.

Looking back at my comment above, I’m ready to admit I have a shoe problem.

I have a pair of black Shell PA I’ve nevrr worn.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good advice. Things are about to get...less pleasant if he doesn't self correct.

I like this. Will try!

A few E's and I'd be game.

Though, I think you've got a few you've never worn anyway?

The way I am trying to look at it is that these weren’t that special of a Shell makeup. I’d be heartbroken if they were my Rouges.

Brogue One

Reaction score
I have had a lot of time today, so really took the time to go through the entire new AE website. Except for a few omissions, that only those of us here are concerned with (lasts, etc) it really isn’t a bad web site. I’m especially happy with the collaboration section, the videos are really well done, and if AE is serious about that, they seem to be stressing a MiUSA theme. Hopefully they will expand that to more flagship footwear made in Wisconsin. I’m thinking of getting a pair of the glasses, even though I could buy many, many more pair at WalMart or somewhere for a lot less money.

I hate to admit I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. I thought I’d hate the new site. As long as they’re not putting form over substance by selling cool and lowering quality, I might be able to warm up to it. Eventually ...

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Brogue One

Reaction score
I’m not sure I own a 108 last. Does it fit same as 65?

In my experience, not really. They run narrow-ish and are designed to have little or no V. (So I was told when I bought these, and I found it to be true.) Though narrow, they are deceptively roomy in the toebox. I’d consider trying a 1/2 size down if they made a 13.5. I tried a 13, and they almost work. The biggest difference in the toebox, in my experience, is the height. My toes barely know they’re contained in a shoe. That might me okay, but the height has caused mine to crease oddly.

All in all, I don’t hate the 108, and I like the Carlyle but the 108 isn’t the greatest fit for my foot. (Also, in hindsight I would likely get the Carlyle in other than Walnut. But I got these on the SB for $150 a few months ago, so I can’t complain; it was a good chance to try the 108.)

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late post for Wingtip Wednesday!

0912180912~2.jpg

Pedlar

Reaction score
2ACE16D3-F5CF-4EB5-BAE1-50B540479184.jpeg
My first re-sole! I wore my Bellevues quite a lot last winter but my feet didn’t like the squishy sole. With cooler weather hopefully around the corner, I sent them to B. Nelson/VIP Shoe Restorers for some double leather and couldn’t be more pleased with the work. The new soles feel great underfoot. I wasn’t sure how the antiqued edge that Nick suggested would turn out but I like it. And the uppers got a good going over as well.
86EB71F7-93D0-46A4-B8F7-39EE48DF827C.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads