1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2018 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fueco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

I got some good grins out of reading this. Thanks! 15-16 seems to be that scariest time in a teens life, at least from what I've observed. I remember that time in my life and lots of bad things happened to some people I knew.

Anyway, I think the Nomads are fine. An improvement from the RW collection in my opinion. I'm most saddened to hear that the Higgins is not coming back in shell. I wasn't going to buy them (probably), but I assumed they would be a huge hit on here. Sounds like I'm not wrong.

2. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Agree on shoes and kids. Mine's an eighth grader and this is typical for us:
    Me: homework?
    Him: nope.
    Me: sure?
    Him: yep.
    Me: how about you really check because we just went through this yesterday when I found out you didn't then in something Friday.
    Him: *disappears to room*
    Me: so you found some?
    Him: yes...

3. armedferret

armedferret Distinguished Member

GURRRRRL. So nummy.

4. up1911fan

up1911fan Distinguished Member

Love these boots. The food was awesome! Also, glad your wife is doing well

5. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

ESPECIALLY in natty with leather sole and reverse welt.

6. audog

audog Distinguished Member

I have had a lot of time today, so really took the time to go through the entire new AE website. Except for a few omissions, that only those of us here are concerned with (lasts, etc) it really isn’t a bad web site. I’m especially happy with the collaboration section, the videos are really well done, and if AE is serious about that, they seem to be stressing a MiUSA theme. Hopefully they will expand that to more flagship footwear made in Wisconsin. I’m thinking of getting a pair of the glasses, even though I could buy many, many more pair at WalMart or somewhere for a lot less money.

7. darkclassic

darkclassic Senior Member

I bet Hubbins could figure out a way to snap some great 'full rig' shots (that magically still manage to be in focus) by strategically mounting a camera to your shopping cart for you.

8. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

I hadn’t seen that your wife was going into surgery, thoughts and prayers with y’all for a speedy recovery for her

9. pedarius

pedarius Active Member

371A8F98-955D-4467-87EF-EF0EC2C11A3A.jpeg Normandy at my kid’s soccer practice...Honestly was never very interested in these and even thought they were a bit gimmicky before seeing some of the posts here. Picked them up on impulse at the end of the sale, half expecting to return them. But then I tried them on—instant keeper.

They need to get dirtied up though...

10. orange fury

On the snow- damn, I’m on my patio with a cigar in an aloha shirt lol. To be fair though, the breeze feels incredible- I think we might actually have a reasonable autumn this year.

On the job- sorry to hear that. As someone with a well-documented history of layoffs (I assume that’s what’s going on), best of luck to you.

11. orange fury

Your posts have been on fire recently. Mrs OF and I don’t have kids yet (and we’re honestly kind of hesitant about that proposition ever happening...#milennialproblems), but I have a goddaughter, 2 nieces, and several friends with daughters, so I imagine in the next decade and a half we’ll start hearing those stories ourselves lol.

As for the comparison about AE’s site being concerned about looks, i would compare the aesthetics of the current site (related primarily to the logo and font) to when I had shoulder length side bangs, wore skinny jeans, and played guitar in a screamo band in high school. I thought it was cool then, but it’s funny to look back on now (especially since crappy genetics took care of those sidebangs by the time I was 25...)

12. audog

audog Distinguished Member

Wow yours look great! I was an “early adopter” of the Normandy and mine are really distressed from the factory. My pair looked 10 years old right out of the box.

13. darkclassic

darkclassic Senior Member

You sound so much like one of my buddies. He would used terms like "whelm" and one of his favorites was to listen to someone talk BS and reply, with the straightest of faces, "REAL good then." We used to charter sail up in the Apostle Islands about this time of year, occasionally with one or two extra guys as crew. One of these extras used the week to essentially escape from his domestic situation that involved a wife (who acted as his dietary warden), and a couple daughters (one of whom had recently entered her teens). During that week, he ate his weight in junk food, drank enough bourbon to raise the waterline on a 40ft Jeanneau a solid inch, and drove all other crew to sleep in the cockpit under the stars with his horrific flatulence. He didn't have much to say about the teenage daughter except that their conversations had gone south of late. As such, he had distilled his replies to all conversations involving said teen daughter to a single question. He would listen (ignore) everything she would say and simply reply, "All I wanna know is what's this going to cost me." As we headed back to port after 4 days out, he did a sweep of the remaining provisions and used a single bagel to put down an entire unopened new container of Raspberry Philly cream cheese. That was one hungry dude.

14. pedarius

pedarius Active Member

LOL, it was your posts/photos of yours that bore most of the responsibility for weaseling me into these . . .

15. orange fury

Non AE, but still shoes
    Just got these in the mail, purchased during Rancourt’s Labor Day dale:
    9D3C8667-1226-417D-A554-5C833F4F06B7.jpeg

Fit is dead on, glad I went TTS (I saw mixed reviews about TTS vs sizing down .5):
    6505C54D-B6FC-4108-8B8E-0ED4348AD65B.jpeg

Rancourt still includes shoe bags and a shoehorn in all purchases:
    3AC642A3-BD2D-43B2-A146-A9A22B317385.jpeg

And CXL coasters! (Which was a nice surprise):
    19A8FFF4-B0C1-4E20-9817-BE871EDA0B3A.jpeg

Very happy with these. I had been considering some for a while, but the combination of the Labor Day sale ($50 off) and news about LL Bean discontinuing their camp moc drove me to pull the trigger. $200 is still pricey for casual shoes, but CXL, 100% American made (from, imho, one of the best mfgs of handsewns out there), and the ability to resolve means I should get many years of use out of these. The fit, as mentioned, is dead-on in TTS (10.5D for me). I know CXL stretches, but these are pretty snug as is, so I imagine stretching won’t cause too much of an issue.

Quality is flawless too, if anyone is wondering about their QC.