• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Like others have said, that looks like something I would buy at Cabelas or REI, and I already love my Merrells. AE needs to stick to what they do well and stop trying to break into these additional markets. I say that as someone who IS in the outdoorsy market they seem to be pursuing with this, and I’m not interested in buying AE’s for that purpose.

So now AE sales associates are allowed to wear t-shirt, jeans and sneakers on Fridays? :brick:

Yeesh- the jeans and sneakers okay, but t-shirts for a sales role? I’m sorry but even Foot Locker and Walmart have their employees wear polos.

And on sneakers- the AE ones look fine, but honestly, if I’m buying sneakers, I’m going with a company that specializes in them. I won’t buy dress shoes from Adidas, but I’d sure as hell buy some Stan Smiths (and have been meaning to, if we’re honest).

Also, I’m several martinis in and just made a not-entirely-sober, not-on-topic purchase. I would be coy, but it’s the Smathers and Branson Astros World Series belt that I’ve been wanting ever since it came out. Some of my favorite things (bourbon Strands and McAllisters, shell Alden LHS and LWB, etc) have been not-entirely-sober purchases, sooooo:

B20B49D7-4890-4EE5-8205-92FA5BFA2F19.jpeg

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with jeans on Friday, so long as they’re professional, dark and not baggy. But t shirts? Cmon, at least make it a polo. And sneakers are never acceptable in a professional environment.
If there is cleavage, then the T shirt is a winner.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Higgins Mills are not waterproof :) We got 2 inches of rain over the past 24 hours and the dog decided we needed to walk in ALL the puddles and impromptu ponds that this created. View attachment 1020951

Not that you were asking, but if you need a rain boot recommendation, I love my Le Chameaus:
337DE7DB-A100-41ED-9EEB-ABBB4F865EED.jpeg

They were a birthday gift from mrs OF 3 years ago- on sale from Sierra Trading Post and lined with Filson’s tin cloth. They got extensive use (like, all I wore for a week and a half) during Harvey this time last year (actually, almost exactly a year ago...) and performed like a champ (as did my wife’s Hunter boots). Any time we’re at my in laws property I have them with me- they’ve been great in everything from clearing brush to fishing, and honestly, I’ll probably be wearing them for decades.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not that you were asking, but if you need a rain boot recommendation, I love my Le Chameaus:
View attachment 1020970

They were a birthday gift from mrs OF 3 years ago- on sale from Sierra Trading Post and lined with Filson’s tin cloth. They got extensive use (like, all I wore for a week and a half) during Harvey this time last year (actually, almost exactly a year ago...) and performed like a champ (as did my wife’s Hunter boots). Any time we’re at my in laws property I have them with me- they’ve been great in everything from clearing brush to fishing, and honestly, I’ll probably be wearing them for decades.

Those are awesome, and I could have worn my LLBeans, but didn't think the dog would drag me into every puddle and mid calf mud hole, but after the first one, I thought lets see how good these HM's are, as the dog has done similar with me when I was wearing Alden Indy boots. If I were to rate things, it would be Indy 1, HM 0. my feet stayed dryer in the Aldens, and I could feel the water rushing in around the welt on the HM's where as the Indy boots had to be fully immersed to have water run over the top of the boot. It is also easier to clean mud off of the Waterloc sole than the Dainite. All in all, if I had to chose a boot for swimming, I'd go Alden.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are awesome, and I could have worn my LLBeans, but didn't think the dog would drag me into every puddle and mid calf mud hole, but after the first one, I thought lets see how good these HM's are, as the dog has done similar with me when I was wearing Alden Indy boots. If I were to rate things, it would be Indy 1, HM 0. my feet stayed dryer in the Aldens, and I could feel the water rushing in around the welt on the HM's where as the Indy boots had to be fully immersed to have water run over the top of the boot. It is also easier to clean mud off of the Waterloc sole than the Dainite. All in all, if I had to chose a boot for swimming, I'd go Alden.

I don’t remember, do you have a shell Indy? In any case, how did it clean up?

I don’t wear boots often, but a shell Indy is on my long-term list. Unlike with AE, I don’t have a fear that it’ll suddenly be discontinued, so I haven’t felt a need to panic-buy.

IM NOT ENTIRELY SOBER, NO ONE WEASEL ME. @audog, please tell me you’re distance-drinking with me

Lmrjfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Swimming with a steel shank boot might be problematic.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Higgins Mills are not waterproof :) We got 2 inches of rain over the past 24 hours and the dog decided we needed to walk in ALL the puddles and impromptu ponds that this created. View attachment 1020951
Apply some Obenauf’s Heavy Duty LP.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
Anyone know how the kudu suede holds up in bad weather? I'm really loving my Caen and contemplating the kudu Tate chukka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 38.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 29 18.5%

Forum statistics

Threads