1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2018 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fueco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

I kind of share the view of fabric on shoes. But why no love for grain shoes? I love the grain look, can't explain why however.

2. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Distinguished Member

2D246784-2F63-455F-A522-ADFD6CB8699D.jpeg
    EB1F3BDF-956C-4EA2-8FAA-D5904A7E73AB.jpeg
    Greetings, fellow enthusiasts. Another day of leaving early and dealing with the savages on the Chicagoland “expressways”... of which I’ll be on five today. More Tommy Hilfiger chinos, Lands’ End OCBD, Central Ave belt, Brooks Brothers snuff Neumoks.

3. audog

audog Distinguished Member

I refuse to purchase or wear any plastic shoe or other footwear.
    I still am more a fan of leather sole, but do own one pair of SHOES with rubber sole. Boots are another matter, as rubber sole (depending on type) can be fine.

4. Thrift Couture

Thrift Couture Distinguished Member

Only in the past 2-3 have I really payed attention to the quality and construction of better shoes, especially GYW. I never thought about fabric shoes being sub-par as one of the first AE styles I discovered was the Shaker Heights. I thought the tweed and leather combo looked amazing. When I got them in my hands the fit and finish was outstanding, even being pre-owned. I can see your point, but I think it comes down to the shoemaker and how they put it all together. I'm sure some fabric/leather combos can get pretty cheesy. My only fabric pair now happens to be something I never though I would buy, a pair if canvas Graysons. Again a very well made shoe, lightweight but feels sturdy. Looking forward to getting them in the wild soon. I think in this vein I would be less willing to pay for a non GYW shoe, even though blake construction is said to be as good.

5. audog

I have combo linen/leather shoe and it's nice for certain summer events.

6. audog

I like my Shakers, both the AE black houndstooth and the Brooks tartan models. And they are well made.

7. audog

I'm working on 2019 New Year's Resolutions, and one thing is "Learn how to take Hubbin's photo" I keep trying and they never turn out as good as yours. Keep up the good work!

8. audog

I did a side by side this morning. Here is what I think about them. The San Cosmo Indy boot has a less "rustic" look to the pebble grain. Perhaps this is the coloring, cosmo being more red, GS more brown. The feel, to the hand, is about the same in smoothness. Cosmo perhaps a tiny bit thiner when comparing thickness of leather. Finishing on both boots is excellent. I have attached photo of San Cosmo, Brogue Traveller, GS Ottawa and AE pebble grain. Of the bunch, the GS is more "boot-ish" in appearance, less formal if that makes sense. IMG_2689.jpg IMG_2690.jpg IMG_2691.jpg

9. AEShoeMan

AEShoeMan Senior Member

That is a nice collection of pebble grain boots @audog -- thanks for sharing the pics and brief overview!

10. AEShoeMan

AEShoeMan Senior Member

Good morning gents! Rain here in Minnesota today. Went with the University on dainite accordingly.
    20180719_075845.jpg

20180719_071025.jpg

11. instigateur

instigateur Senior Member

Broke out the Pembrookes today.

Patina! 0719180738b.jpeg

12. audog

I could have pulled others out as well, but didn't :). Promontory Points would have been one of the others as it is also pebble grain (and a nice short boot)

13. Thrift Couture

Thrift Couture Distinguished Member

That Indy though... Beautiful!!!

14. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

I have chocolate from the first drop and picked up olive in this drop. The chocolate is amazing and, imho, incredibly versatile. I’ve worn it dressed down with dark denim, midway with chinos, and dressed up with gray flannels (even a navy suit on occasion). The olive will be a more strictly casual option and I’m looking forward to having it, but the chocolate is amazing.

15. Genericuser1

Genericuser1 Senior Member

I'll go with the polish then thanks as any scuffs so far are very minor.