• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The /r/GoodYearWelt community is pretty good. A totally different feel than here, but generally pretty respectful and good. Occasional flares and less singular interests, but wider aperture for "off-topic" and little concern for more than a single manufacturer in the discussion (this thread tolerates that fairly well, less so in the Alden thread, etc.).
There is good stuff on Reddit. But even in r/GYW, I’ve seen a valid yet unpopular post just get stomped rather than addressed (hell, I’ve seen a whole excellent conversation thread get collapsed out by the unpopular top-level comment getting downvoted to oblivion - taking a whole interesting conversation with it. When a sub is good, it’s despite, not because of, Reddit’s platform.

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO, I’m not sure fascism is the right term. It’s mob-democracy: unfettered and direct consequence-free (but not actually free of real consequences when it comes to critical thought and free discussion), driven by votes.

Hell, I haven’t even touched on the social capital aspects of Reddit.

You might just as well continue, it adds to the educational value of this thread.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And don't forget, also increases the annual page count :)
And really, that’s what this is all about... that and shoe pr0n:

Bonus points if you know what those are (smfdoc is not allowed to say, as he already knows since I ripped these from one of his oldetime vintage thread posts).

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And really, that’s what this is all about... that and shoe pr0n:

Bonus points if you know what those are (smfdoc is not allowed to say, as he already knows since I ripped these from one of his oldetime vintage thread posts).
Not a clue what they are, but they are nice looking.

munchau

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone want a 15% off belts coupon from AE? Just received one in the mail and won’t be using it. It’s good for 4 days from now.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever participated in sub on Reddit? IMHO, Reddit is the single most horrendous communications and community platform ever created. I’ve been on the interwebs for 30 years (going back to the days of shell accounts, Usenet flame wars, IRC, gophering for crap... long before http/html). Nearly every method and platform, even if in sometimes in ugly fashion (Usenet flame wars were epic), fostered the free exchange of ideas and conversation. But not Reddit.

For example, AEnonymous and I have had some “challenging” conversations (with interjections from others that were also “challenging”). Points were made, counterpoints leveled, slaps and counter slaps, etc. Yet both AEnonymous and I are still here (so long as nobody takes their meds) M635 is still here and, one or (possibly) all of us may have learned something.

But not on Reddit. See, on Reddit your post lives or dies based on up and down votes. Say something unpopular that the sub doesn’t like and your post gets down voted out of existence (view) where nobody will see it again. So, instead of me and AEnonymous duking it out in an exchange of ideas, one of our positions can simply be suppressed. This creates nearly perfect echo chambers, where subs are places you can go and have your positions verified by groups of people in vehement agreement.

Both Orwell and Huxley would have been astonished and horrified by what Reddit represents.
Good ol' UU encoding.

Also:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO, I’m not sure fascism is the right term. It’s mob-democracy: unfettered and direct consequence-free (but not actually free of real consequences when it comes to critical thought and free discussion), driven by votes.

Hell, I haven’t even touched on the social capital aspects of Reddit.
Watch out, I'm about to down twinkle you.

schweezly

Reaction score
View attachment 1002903 View attachment 1002904 New Leeds 2.0 day. Brown grain with Dainite sole and they’re immediately comfortable out of the box. They’re seconds and it looks like the reason is kinda rippled leather where you tie one of them.

Well I walked about 4 miles collectively in these today...one small toe and heel are nice and raw. Not sure how the grain leather breaks in. Guess we’ll see!

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watch out, I'm about to down twinkle you.
You’re triggering me.

As such, I must now tell you about the one AE model I want, and can’t seem to get my hands one:

The AE Bal-wingtip Boulevard:
9JQRt.jpg

(The excellent examples above belong to member Philip1978.)

Multiple times I almost had them, and multiple times I botched the auction (in one case for a dollar on a 27 dollar winning bid).

Am I the only one who has gone obsessive for a model that just keeps getting away or you really wish you had gotten when you had the chance?

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I walked about 4 miles collectively in these today...one small toe and heel are nice and raw. Not sure how the grain leather breaks in. Guess we’ll see!
Are the toe and heel in question on the same foot?

schweezly

Reaction score
Are the toe and heel in question on the same foot?

Yes. I should clarify that it’s not actually raw, they were just very uncomfortable at the end of the day. The toe is a little red but I think it’ll be fine in a day or two

schweezly

Reaction score
Fit is king, if they don't fit they aren't worth keeping IMHO.

I know, and agree. I’ll give it a few wears and see. They fit pretty well but throughout the day they started getting a little uncomfortable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads