1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2018 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fueco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. M2511

M2511 Distinguished Member

Funny that C&J makes a similar model called the Newbury without that horrible horrible sole. Actually I kinda like the C&J version, they make one for women too should you want to match with your significant other. They just have too many other pairs I'd buy from them before those. I say that and I'll end up having them sooner than later.

You are over thinking this wayyyyyyy too much. You like them clearly you've kept them this long near the return deadline, just wear them. They look great and were a good price IIRC so put them on and enjoy them. The only unfortunate part of this decision is that you haven't worn them when you could have for the last ~76 days. Wear them, enjoy them. At the very least it will help you determine further what you'd like next once you see how much use they get. I have almost never return a pair after purchase that worked (fit) and wasn't damaged. The only one I can think of is a Brown Shell PA because I ultimately decided I'd rather wear the brown shell strand every time. If long-term you find you don't really wear them enough, Alden resells much better so your loss on ebay shouldn't be too much.

2. darkclassic

darkclassic Senior Member

Taking the new brown grain Strandmok out for its initial spin today. Beagle socks from the recent clearance sale at JosABank.
    20180614_090156.jpg

3. JohnPatShop

JohnPatShop Well-Known Member

You seem to have a high instep.

I'd suggest a Carlyle or Players--in 10D. Even a Seconds Dundee or Whitney/Nomad/Tate. But you basically need a D width if your heel is slipping in bluchers.

4. pudman43

pudman43 Senior Member

B6FF25F7-91C6-47D6-82B3-A3D8A5AFFE54.jpeg Well-loved Strands today

5. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

I really like that kind of grain pattern. Not big on really heavy grain.

6. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Right? He's losing life enjoyment by stressing out over this.If you're not overextending yourself financially and you have something you enjoy, you need to enjoy it! Sitting in a closet only makes you stress out worse. Once you start wearing it what's done is done, and you can start moving on with your life. :D #novault

7. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior Member

98 degrees so no shows and Thousand Oaks

IMG_20180614_082806.jpg

8. armedferret

armedferret Distinguished Member

Sand Massdrops at Tyson's Corner Galleria.

20180614_103818.jpg

Unfortunately Uniqlo refuses to honor online pricing in store so there goes my willingness to ever shop with them again.

9. Genericuser1

Genericuser1 Senior Member

Current uni-body CUVs are just less practical mini-vans/tall wagons. For the average family of 4 or 5 they can work just fine and if you routinely need AWD for some very light off-roading then I can see the use. If you are looking at a Rav 4 size vehicle then they have their place. The thing is a mini-van can haul 150 cubic feet of stuff. I've hauled stacks of drywall, 12' finish boards a 6' antique sideboard. An Explorer or Pilot isn't going to do that. Lastly a Pilot will not have nearly the same headroom in the 3rd row.

As to the smaller mini-van there isn't a market for it in the U.S. Mazda tried it with the 5 and it was a sales dud. The wide array of CUVs covers that need.

Back to Shoes:
    My Merlot McAllisters will be here Friday, I hope they are in good shape, they were in the warehouse so Ashley couldn't look them over. No dice on the Strandmoks, one store's unit doesn't look good and the other can't be found so inventory glitch maybe. I did pick up some brown Sullivan streets. I would never have gotten them had I not seen them in person, beautiful boot.

10. ccpl14

ccpl14 Senior Member

This was our beverage of choice in college
    F04EC90E-6D34-40AA-BD78-0BC9E11B921F.jpeg

11. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

PBR? Fancy schmancy.

24 packs of Old Milwaukee.

12. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

As I was typing that post I had “Colt 45 and two Zig Zags, baby that’s all we need....” running through my head lol

13. Genericuser1

Genericuser1 Senior Member

So glad it was only a couple of years I had to endure The Beast as a beverage and only occasionally, God that was awful stuff.

14. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

Uniqlo has some decent stuff for the price, but their policies are wack. I bought a pair of joggers from them that the price dropped on less than 48 hours later. I called to see if they would price match and they would only do so in store (I don’t think there’s even a store in Texas). I had to order another pair at the lower price and return the first pair- kind of ridiculous in this day and age

15. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior Member

My two favorite pairs of footwear I own are my brown HMs and my dark brown Indy. There's not a close third. I was able to get the HMs early when they dropped the price from $350 to $250 and I was able to get the Indy from J.Crew for $388 instead of $550 when they erroneously ran a 30% off sale that included them. Getting them both at such steep discounts definitely played a part in how much I like them. If I could only get the boots at full price, I'd definitely choose the HM every day of the week, and twice on Sundays. I just don't get the feeling that the Indy is $200 better than the HM. $100 difference? Yeah, I can see that. But, in the end I'd rather have HM firsts and another pair of AEs off the Shoebank than pay full price for the Indy.

With all that being said, you're right that the CXL on the Indy is nicer. It's more flexible, has a nicer finish, and has pretty much zero loose grain. My HMs have plenty of loose grain, but I don't care because I feel like it's a boot that needs to be wrinkled and worn-in. CXL wrinkles. It's a fact of life. One other thing I think the Indy gets right is the number of eyelets. Having that many allows you to really tighten the laces to accommodate your foot exactly. The HM checks in about 2/3 the eyelets, and I think it makes a big difference in getting the boot to fit right. But, I like the Dainite sole of the HM better, and I like the poron. I feel like those two elements work together well. I know that poron affects fit, and that bothers some people, but it really works for me with this boot.

I don't think you can go wrong with either boot, and I'm glad the weasels on here were able to get you into a pair of Indys. Enjoy them. I've had mine for over a year now and really dig them - just not quite as much as my HMs.