STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2018 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fueco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Right? He's losing life enjoyment by stressing out over this.If you're not overextending yourself financially and you have something you enjoy, you need to enjoy it! Sitting in a closet only makes you stress out worse. Once you start wearing it what's done is done, and you can start moving on with your life. :D #novault

2. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior Member

98 degrees so no shows and Thousand Oaks

IMG_20180614_082806.jpg

3. armedferret

armedferret Distinguished Member

Sand Massdrops at Tyson's Corner Galleria.

20180614_103818.jpg

Unfortunately Uniqlo refuses to honor online pricing in store so there goes my willingness to ever shop with them again.

4. Genericuser1

Genericuser1 Senior Member

Current uni-body CUVs are just less practical mini-vans/tall wagons. For the average family of 4 or 5 they can work just fine and if you routinely need AWD for some very light off-roading then I can see the use. If you are looking at a Rav 4 size vehicle then they have their place. The thing is a mini-van can haul 150 cubic feet of stuff. I've hauled stacks of drywall, 12' finish boards a 6' antique sideboard. An Explorer or Pilot isn't going to do that. Lastly a Pilot will not have nearly the same headroom in the 3rd row.

As to the smaller mini-van there isn't a market for it in the U.S. Mazda tried it with the 5 and it was a sales dud. The wide array of CUVs covers that need.

Back to Shoes:
    My Merlot McAllisters will be here Friday, I hope they are in good shape, they were in the warehouse so Ashley couldn't look them over. No dice on the Strandmoks, one store's unit doesn't look good and the other can't be found so inventory glitch maybe. I did pick up some brown Sullivan streets. I would never have gotten them had I not seen them in person, beautiful boot.

5. ccpl14

ccpl14 Senior Member

This was our beverage of choice in college
    F04EC90E-6D34-40AA-BD78-0BC9E11B921F.jpeg

6. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

PBR? Fancy schmancy.

24 packs of Old Milwaukee.

7. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

As I was typing that post I had “Colt 45 and two Zig Zags, baby that’s all we need....” running through my head lol

8. Genericuser1

Genericuser1 Senior Member

So glad it was only a couple of years I had to endure The Beast as a beverage and only occasionally, God that was awful stuff.

9. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

Uniqlo has some decent stuff for the price, but their policies are wack. I bought a pair of joggers from them that the price dropped on less than 48 hours later. I called to see if they would price match and they would only do so in store (I don’t think there’s even a store in Texas). I had to order another pair at the lower price and return the first pair- kind of ridiculous in this day and age

10. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior Member

My two favorite pairs of footwear I own are my brown HMs and my dark brown Indy. There's not a close third. I was able to get the HMs early when they dropped the price from $350 to $250 and I was able to get the Indy from J.Crew for $388 instead of $550 when they erroneously ran a 30% off sale that included them. Getting them both at such steep discounts definitely played a part in how much I like them. If I could only get the boots at full price, I'd definitely choose the HM every day of the week, and twice on Sundays. I just don't get the feeling that the Indy is $200 better than the HM. $100 difference? Yeah, I can see that. But, in the end I'd rather have HM firsts and another pair of AEs off the Shoebank than pay full price for the Indy.

With all that being said, you're right that the CXL on the Indy is nicer. It's more flexible, has a nicer finish, and has pretty much zero loose grain. My HMs have plenty of loose grain, but I don't care because I feel like it's a boot that needs to be wrinkled and worn-in. CXL wrinkles. It's a fact of life. One other thing I think the Indy gets right is the number of eyelets. Having that many allows you to really tighten the laces to accommodate your foot exactly. The HM checks in about 2/3 the eyelets, and I think it makes a big difference in getting the boot to fit right. But, I like the Dainite sole of the HM better, and I like the poron. I feel like those two elements work together well. I know that poron affects fit, and that bothers some people, but it really works for me with this boot.

I don't think you can go wrong with either boot, and I'm glad the weasels on here were able to get you into a pair of Indys. Enjoy them. I've had mine for over a year now and really dig them - just not quite as much as my HMs.

11. Maxy

Maxy Senior Member

I'm thinking more of 9.5 D if my heel is slipping, isn't that right?

As of today, thinking to order Leiden and Tate in 9.5D. Not good?

12. suuteebird

suuteebird Senior Member

43868AE2-BAAC-4574-9A91-AB48A235F9D1.jpeg
    Happy Flag Day!

13. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior Member

When I was 19, and a sophomore in college, I was hired by a local bar to be a bouncer (University of Illinois has a bar entry age of 19) where I worked for 3 years as an undergrad and 2 years as a grad student.

There were a number of benefits to working in a bar, but my favorite was the ability to buy pitchers of beer for $2 from any of the 4 campus bars owned by the same company. If I had $10, I could drink like a king. Sure, it was usually just Bud Light or a Miller product, but sometimes one of the bars would have Leinenkugel or Harp on tap (this was pre-microbrewery time). But the worst decisions were always made after we decided to drink Ice House beer. I think their slogan was something along the lines of twice the alcohol content as regular beer. Man, I miss those days of making poor decisions.

So, I never had to slum it with Thunderbird or MD 20/20, although I did have to clean up after ladies who drank too much Boone's Farm. And, as great as it was working in a bar for all those early years, I'm pretty sure hell looks like a ladies' room after closing time. I've seen things that still haunt me to this day. I always had a beater pair of shoes that I'd wear to work. No way I'd ever set foot in there with new kicks on. Although we did have one bartender who alway wore black-and-white spectators behind the bar. I'm not sure what brand they were (probably something cheap), but they looked cool as hell.

14. ccpl14

ccpl14 Senior Member

15. M2511

M2511 Distinguished Member

:bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2:

They do have navy suede in my size but I don't know how I'd ever wear them. Gotta hold back since I have Loden pair that has been on the chopping block and just realized I never listed on the bay. The blue is nice though........

Also see the grantham all the way down to $127.50. Definitely not my cup of tea but surely there are a few this would interest.