STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2018 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fueco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Maxy

Maxy Senior Member

Don't know really. I just buy random Cole Haan (or any other brand) at size 10 and it fits perfectly and with AE I try everything groom 9.5D to E, 3E and 10D, 10E and still no perfect fit. Sometimes too much detail and choice is not good!!

2. wasmisterfu

wasmisterfu Senior Member

Man, I bought a bunch of webgems... and I don’t know how I missed those?

3. wasmisterfu

wasmisterfu Senior Member

I did, indeed, LOL.

4. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Distinguished Member

Well, I like both but agree that AE probably was frustrated by quality issues resulting in this variation. Those new Indys are just a nice/cleaner version of CXL, the way I wish all the HMs looked.

I'd have preferred the grain on entire boot but can see how some would like it this way. These are not bad, but I love CXL to begin with, these are my least favorite HMs so will be my designated true beaters.

Yes thank you, good idea and at some point...I will go there. Also really like the mid brown color of yours - would get more wear for me than the shell pair I am considering.

Thank you! That makes 3 Aldens and as always I am a bit surprised to even have such choices IMS. Dark Brown CXL was oddly enough missing from my boot category. (Wilberts!)

Very well done! The AE ecosystem occasionally throws something at you that you are otherwise not ready for but this is the correct answer to that coupon. I was surprised they did not limit to 1 pair but have no off the shelf items on my want list anymore. Hope they all fit like gloves 'specially the Daltons!

Yes, they could drop to $117 without 'fear' of excess orders, even @ $75 I would not order.

And I have come to like my Taints, they may not last but are casual and comfortable,
    and like @Shoenut 's unexpected lugged Strand, I've worn them into light boot situations (like a dog walk in the park) and been pleased with them from the start.

No mention yet of tent sale on main site- with Krishley(tm) already keeping an eye out for 15s of interest, it will surprise me if there are hidden gems remaining...

And, anyone catch the offer from Rider boot? Some beauties on GMTO over there, pricey but Ivant a shell Ivan. With the Friends&Fam-GMTO code, $350 discount so in the Alden price range.

5. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

According to AE, the new variations of the Higgins Mill are not CXL. They said that was an error in the product description. (This question and answer is on their website.)
    But you’ve got them in front of you. Can you tell if they’re CXL or not?

6. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

More of a Boone's Farm man?

7. BagleyBrown

I cannot. They are similar but have never seen grain CXL if it exists. They appear to be a coarse textured pull up leather which may patina wonderfully with age. So maybe after some miles I'll appreciate them more.

Test driving dark brown real CXL today.

IMG_2643.jpg
    IMG_2642.jpg IMG_2644.jpg

8. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

"Error."

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Why do I get the feeling a conversation like this happened:

At Horween or some other tannary.

"Hey Frank, what are we going to do with all these janky skins?"

"Call ip AE, they always take the jank if its cheap enough. They'll put it on one of their popular styles and csll it a special edition or something."

9. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

How are you liking the Indys?

10. BagleyBrown

I struggle to rationalize the cost compared to AE, but, like them enough that these are my second pair even at $557 Ish. This pair came through without issues and I am debating a third pair in 08, but, the Rider Ivan may take the budget for those, at least for now.

Okay, I love em. There. I said it. Is that what you wanted? They are awesome, look awesome, and are a grade of CXL unseen or rarely seen by me at AE. Sigh. A top notch product, I am fortunate to find in my size without any delay...ordered, and wearing in 2 days. :) Really glad for the weaseling here that led to these.

And yea, the "mistake" on AE's website calling the new HMs CXL has been there for quite some time. The Dalton mistake which COST them money was fixed in 2 hours.

11. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

0489F474-36B5-4B34-A9D1-D3619CB1FF4F.jpeg
    More loafers than days in the week. Hard choices.

12. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

That was then...

And this is Now...

Egads:drool:

13. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

Day 23:
    There’s no rain in the forecast today. It’s a little hard to believe that I started this new rotation almost five weeks ago and this is the first time to wear these.
    5F866587-51DA-4CC3-8449-261FEF84E09F.jpeg

14. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

something is weird here. I quit buying shoes from brands like this specifically due to lack of widths. I wear EE/EEE and was always crammed in. I can see you have a high instep, but i don't think those brands are THAT accommodating. Have you tried anything on the 42? Not the prettiest last, but a good amount of volume.
    Man. I wish they did wide last! I would jump so fast!
    $600 for non-shell is always a struggle for me, but they are nice

15. BagleyBrown

“$600 for non-shell is always a struggle for me, but they are nice”

Exactly. I also factor in rarity of my size. In my size there is no substitute. They have been mocking my efforts to find a replacement for a long time.