• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a roughly 40 year old to be writing so poorly, maybe he needs to be so tied . to chair . beat with switch equal the many I paid at all .
I hope that is more of an issue with English as a second ( or third, etc) language issue.

Lmrjfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Possibly the dumbest review I've seen so far on AE's site (for the new Strandmok):

rating.gif

SIZE NOT GOOD
June 8, 2018
Size is not accurate at all . So tied . So narrow. I wear size 9 M . I bought 9.5 D and still away so tied . Size is too bad . It not worth the many I paid at all .

HELPFUL 0 UNHELPFUL 8
MOE22
I Received A Sweepstakes Entry For Writing This Review.: No
QUALITY
ratingSecondary.gif

OVERALL SATISFACTION
ratingSecondary.gif

VALUE
ratingSecondary.gif

SIZE
ratingSlider.gif

RUNS SMALL
RUNS LARGE
WIDTH
ratingSlider.gif

RUNS NARROW
RUNS WIDE

This guy speaks English about as well as I speak French, which is why I am not a food critic in Paris.

drcharlie

Reaction score
What's wrong with them?

This is regarding the bourbon Dalton factory seconds I recently purchased from the Customer Service Center. I cannot tell what's wrong with them. I guess I'm not too picky or discerning. They fit and feel great--that's most important.
1. The website for firsts shows and says it has a double butyl sole. Looks like mine has that older sole. (No big deal to me).
2. At first I thought the red contrast pull tab may have been a defect, but it looks like the photo on the website for firsts has that so I guess it's a feature. Either way, no big deal to me.
3. I find it hard to believe that they didn't like the bourbon finish and declared it a second. There is some minor color funkiness but I think that's all part of the bourbon effect. When I conditioned them, I lost some of the darker burnishing color. The color is fine to me. I feel like I got lucky considering others receiving tiger striping on bourbon shoes. Any weird coloration is no big deal to me.
4. I bet I could post lots of pictures here and given a discerning audience someone could point out some previously unknown defect. Once noted by me I could become annoyed by that. But, I don't need to worry about that. I am happy with the boots. I feel I got really lucky for the price ($159). It scratches the itch for a Dalton and also for bourbon.

I am happy. It was a lucky "blind" order from the Customer Service Center.

I appreciate that many are concerned about the future direction of the company (with good reason) and many have had issues recently. My recent experiences have been positive and I appreciate that.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is regarding the bourbon Dalton factory seconds I recently purchased from the Customer Service Center. I cannot tell what's wrong with them. I guess I'm not too picky or discerning. They fit and feel great--that's most important.
1. The website for firsts shows and says it has a double butyl sole. Looks like mine has that older sole. (No big deal to me).
2. At first I thought the red contrast pull tab may have been a defect, but it looks like the photo on the website for firsts has that so I guess it's a feature. Either way, no big deal to me.
3. I find it hard to believe that they didn't like the bourbon finish and declared it a second. There is some minor color funkiness but I think that's all part of the bourbon effect. When I conditioned them, I lost some of the darker burnishing color. The color is fine to me. I feel like I got lucky considering others receiving tiger striping on bourbon shoes. Any weird coloration is no big deal to me.
4. I bet I could post lots of pictures here and given a discerning audience someone could point out some previously unknown defect. Once noted by me I could become annoyed by that. But, I don't need to worry about that. I am happy with the boots. I feel I got really lucky for the price ($159). It scratches the itch for a Dalton and also for bourbon.

I appreciate that many are concerned about the future direction of the company (with good reason) and many have had issues recently. My recent experiences have been positive and I appreciate that.
So, I learned recently when there's a slightly wrong sole (double in lieu of single, standard double in lieu of butyl, etc) they will list them as seconds rather than SMU seconds. I suspect that is the case with yours.

drcharlie

Reaction score
So, I learned recently when there's a slightly wrong sole (double in lieu of single, standard double in lieu of butyl, etc) they will list them as seconds rather than SMU seconds. I suspect that is the case with yours.

I will gladly accept that explanation and blind myself to any further comments about other defects that might make me critical of them!

Edit: I will add that after seeing the picture of the screwed up sole stitching today, I literally pulled out those boots and double checked I didn't miss something like that!

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a roughly 40 year old to be writing so poorly, maybe he needs to be so tied . to chair . beat with switch equal the many I paid at all .
I'm sure, English is not his first language. My guess is he's worn sneakers all his life and/or this is his first time trying a shoe with closed (as opposed to open) lacing.

This is why you always TRY before you BUY kiddies.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. That looks like a double Butyl sole to me. You weren't expecting some sort of visible rubber were you?
2. Yes, that is a feature. So to speak.
3. Typical of bourbon. At least they don't have the puke green tones that was happening for a while.
4. The closest I could see from the pictures is the stitching running close to the edge near the ball of the sole. That will not affect anything. An eventual resole will resolve that unless the cobbler is equally as sloppy.

Maxy

Reaction score
1. So, the SAs can bring a warehouse shoe into their location for pre-screening. Kristen does this for me all the time; sometimes even with firsts...
2. Is it a mislasting or just picked the wrong size? If mislasting then no fee, but if you just picked the wrong size then yes on fee.

I've seen this advice earlier too. But the issue for me is that I like different shoes on the Shoebank and each one is from different store. How does that work? I order something, don't like it and that location don't have anything interesting for me and then I will get charged the restocking fee, right?

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen this advice earlier too. But the issue for me is that I like different shoes on the Shoebank and each one is from different store. How does that work? I order something, don't like it and that location don't have anything interesting for me and then I will get charged the restocking fee, right?
Call YOUR SA. Have them call the other store(s) and ask for an inspection from that stores SA/SM and report back to you. If you're still not sure, have your SA order the hoe from the other store into their store.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok,I’m 200 posts behind but I’ll continue anyways,Glencoe and Oban trip thwarted by overturned truck,ahem,lorry-on highland road. Instead the Alden 945’s detoured to Rob Roy’s grave at Balquhidder
D0AF8419-6BD2-45B5-9116-B6C820E3A7BB.jpeg
and down to Doune castle near Sterling and finally to the Kilfinan Hotel on Loch Fyne for a relaxing dram of Tamdhu-and a return to the Oliver Sweeney suedes
726F7AEC-41CE-4D7A-BDD4-3EE46B49181E.jpeg

E2704D48-D55C-4816-B8BB-64FA9380D4A5.jpeg

JDKing

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I am looking at the cordovan loafers: Grayson, Patriot, and Randolph. I tried a size 8D Grayson last year but sent it back because it was tight on the instep. I know the Grayson's are really popular, but I have some hesitations about wearing tassels. I am considering trying a Grayson in an 8E and a pair of the Randolphs. I don't see the Randolphs worn nearly as much as I see the other two loafers. Do any of you have Randolphs? What are your thoughts on them?

JohnPatShop

Reaction score
Sorry, don't have personal SA! :brick:
Ideally, any SA should be able to bring items so you can try them on. If you're able to get to a retail store, outlet or first quality, just ask whoever is at the front, or ask for the manager straight away. Agood SA can get items shipped to the store to try on for sizing before you put money down. If you're nervous about getting hit with some scary restocking, just bring it up beforehand and be very clear you want to try for sizing and for style without before committing to buy. A good SA won't pressure you, because they want your repeat business.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that my shell Strand itch has been scratched, I'm focusing in on my other wants/needs.

Itch #1 - fill my chili hole in the rotation (man, I love typing that). Right now, I'm targeting a pair of Macneils. I don't have an AE gunboat in the rotation, and this seems like a good way to fill two holes at once (TWSS).

Itch #2 - Sullivan Street. I need another brown boot like I need another hole in my head. But, I admit it, I think that boot is sexy af.

Itch #3 - figure out a pair of walnut to add to the rotation. I own tan saddle Gobis and golden CXL Longbranches, but I don't have a true walnut shoe. Not sure which pair I'm gonna target here, but I'll know it when I see it. Probably not a boot and probably not a Strand (already have oxblood and shell).

Itch #4 - bourbon. I have no bourbon. So, I'll need something brogued. Maybe a Dalton here, but probably something else. Really wish that the Sullivan Street boot came in bourbon. I would be all over that.

Itch #5 - stay on target and ignore the fact that the Shoebank has 11.5D tan McTavishes right now for $99. Focus on your holes, Donkey! Focus on your holes!

Itch #6 - standard dude itch. This time, don't use waterproof spray on it. It doesn't work, and it stings more than you're willing to admit.

Itch #7 - suede. Figure out a way to get some suede in there. Blue or snuff are the likely culprits.

Itch #8 - something new and exotic and completely unplanned. Let the itch find you, Donkey. Let the itch find you.

Regarding the shell Strand itch, I finally got around to taking mine to my SA today to see about shipping them off for inspection for what I was afraid was a split starting in the leather (if y’all remember that conversation several months back). The bad news was that since they’re seconds, AE won’t work on them for a cosmetic issue. The good news is that he looked it over and thought it was just a bump/blemish in the leather, not a true split- he’s had great advice in the past so I trust him on this. Picked up some brown cordovan cream to see if that helps any, but as long as it’s not a structural defect (ie, the leather tearing), then I’m a happy camper.

On your bourbon itch, allow me to help:
35B0756B-DE04-4846-B4D3-31CCE30DC525.jpeg

8DAD6AC0-B6A3-474E-9F06-85811F2F8DAC.jpeg

A8D2097A-445D-4F96-8859-D13665DB417E.jpeg
4C5EEC3A-9A77-40EB-82A0-C3F826C4BBCE.jpeg

Bourbon Dalton’s are dope, fwiw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads