1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2018 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fueco, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Aenonymous

Aenonymous Senior Member

Agreed. That's what happens with human involvement sometimes. At least they still had the wheeled edge detail back then. I guess somewhere along the way they decided the extra 6 seconds per pair that it took to do that was some sort of necessary labor cost savings.

2. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior Member

Now that my shell Strand itch has been scratched, I'm focusing in on my other wants/needs.

Itch #1 - fill my chili hole in the rotation (man, I love typing that). Right now, I'm targeting a pair of Macneils. I don't have an AE gunboat in the rotation, and this seems like a good way to fill two holes at once (TWSS).

Itch #2 - Sullivan Street. I need another brown boot like I need another hole in my head. But, I admit it, I think that boot is sexy af.

Itch #3 - figure out a pair of walnut to add to the rotation. I own tan saddle Gobis and golden CXL Longbranches, but I don't have a true walnut shoe. Not sure which pair I'm gonna target here, but I'll know it when I see it. Probably not a boot and probably not a Strand (already have oxblood and shell).

Itch #4 - bourbon. I have no bourbon. So, I'll need something brogued. Maybe a Dalton here, but probably something else. Really wish that the Sullivan Street boot came in bourbon. I would be all over that.

Itch #5 - stay on target and ignore the fact that the Shoebank has 11.5D tan McTavishes right now for $99. Focus on your holes, Donkey! Focus on your holes!

Itch #6 - standard dude itch. This time, don't use waterproof spray on it. It doesn't work, and it stings more than you're willing to admit.

Itch #7 - suede. Figure out a way to get some suede in there. Blue or snuff are the likely culprits.

Itch #8 - something new and exotic and completely unplanned. Let the itch find you, Donkey. Let the itch find you.

3. mastakebob

mastakebob Well-Known Member

BTW, the Shoe Bank $99 walnut Howe Street in 9.5 EEE are not for sale. Defective returns that Ashley is working to get off the inventory.

She's really helpful, btw.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

4. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Suggestion on the chili; wait until fall if you prefer old to new dark chili. I personally prefer the old chili, and it looks like the old chili may be coming back this fall in at least limited quantities.

5. wasmisterfu

wasmisterfu Distinguished Member

They do wheeled edges on some models (at least they did as of just a few years ago). You know what they didn't do back then? - channels. They just slammed that stitch in and the front stitching wore away to nothing pretty darn quickly (not that it matters since its lock stitched).

I think the other thing driving some of the more pronounced (3-4 SPI versus subtle 5 SPI with wheeling) is the "LOOK IT'S STITCHED!!" thing. That's why we have bonwelts on cheap shoes, and other things that attempt to make a shoe look more "constructed".

6. audog

audog Distinguished Member

Overlap with the GS is the main reason I'm not 100% on them. I agree that when on ShoeBank for a couple hundred, they might be worth adding but, honestly, they just are not really jumping out at me. That's why I want to see real world, actual owner photos.
    Oh, you should add the shell Indy's if you can....

7. audog

They look nice, but personally I would prefer the pebble grain on entire boot. But then they might look like my Promontory Points or my GS that are coming at some point.
    For the price, you got a steal and agree a full win. Way to Go!

8. Bourbonator

Bourbonator Senior Member

IMG_20180611_185958790.jpg

9. RaiderATO

RaiderATO Senior Member

Too close to my natural Stirling boots or I'd be $100 poorer after reading this.

10. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

I wasn’t invited! Ha ha! Wouldn’t be the first party I have crashed.

11. darkclassic

darkclassic Senior Member

Picking up these shell daltons just prior to #daltongate made it easier to deal with my cancellation email. 20180613_072651.jpg

12. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Distinguished Member

Special pricing (99/149/199 especially + shell @ 399) is up on the bank.

13. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy Hump Day forum pals.

IMG_3139.jpg

14. drcharlie

drcharlie Well-Known Member

Dalton seconds for $199. (too soon?!)

15. audog

Dalton seconds for $199, maybe they were "crafted" by the person who did the re-craft posted earlier today. Have a great Wednesday!