1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2018 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by armedferret, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Shoenut

Shoenut Distinguished Member

Merlot Mcallisters for sure. Black PA’s are for next Black Friday.

2. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

If it makes you feel better, every time there's one in my size it only lasts 2 hours before another weasel gets their hands on them.

Yep. Mine do not actually look that green in reality. I was surprised with how the photo turned out. To be honest, they look very close to the new slate color most of the time.

3. instigateur

instigateur Well-Known Member

My natural Stirlings, first quality, are going back. Fit great and took just over a day to ship and arrive. Right shoe is second worthy with several issues. Scratches primarily with some minor sole edge dressing missing. Left shoe is iffy as a second with a mix of natural and really dark, almost black leather with grain issues on the side and tongue, and scratches.

0114180028a.jpg

0114180033_Burst01.jpg

4. naspratt

naspratt Distinguished Member

Isn’t that cxl? If so, the scratches will buff out fairly easily. The color issue is more of a personal preference, but natural will darken over time in any event. Loose grain is the thing that would concern me most, but it seems to be something for which AE takes a “wait and see if the customer complains” approach.

5. Shoenut

Would you accept these as seconds pricing? You can always ask for a seconds price based on the loose grain.

6. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior Member

Just looked and seconds pricing is $199. Surprising how long that $209 nordy price has stuck around.

The comments about these black Stirlings are weaseliscious, wonder if there would be any interest/potential for a black shell GMTO? I can see a gap in my own closet for a casual brogue shell boot and the Stirling looks like a great foundation.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 4:19 AM

7. Shoenut

6099DDA1-A3AD-46D3-9564-CF152F92BE72.jpeg
    Morning gents. A little snuff with morning coffee.

8. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Distinguished Member

Daltons got a spell on you, too?
    download (8).jpg download (10).jpg

9. cardsfan89

cardsfan89 Senior Member

Some day I’m gonna find a deal on those... some day!

10. cardsfan89

cardsfan89 Senior Member

Question for you shoe care experts. Our favorite seller has these listed, and while I’m not particularly interested in *this* pair, it got me wondering ... this discoloration should be a pretty easy fix, no? Maybe apply a little bit of brown polish in the light area?

96F021AD-170E-4727-A31C-DF8C9F620667.png

11. Shoenut

I never try a spot fix. I would clean off old polish and apply a good old fashioned conditioner. Bick4, Lexol, or AE conditioner in the jar. This alone can go along way to “fixing” it. Then I would apply creme polish starting from lighter and going up to darker if needed. Do it in steps and you will get the shoe in great shape.

12. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior Member

I don’t consider myself an expert but wouldn’t let that discoloration hold me back. Depending on the type of polish you already have, add a few bucks to your budget for the shoes...

13. audog

audog Distinguished Member

03D2991D-8F53-4599-85DA-578780469379.jpeg Happy Suede Sunday fellow SF folks!

14. cardsfan89

cardsfan89 Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback @Shoenut and @jet-stream

I’ll keep this in mind for future shoes. I’m not in the market for these, but this is good information in case a shoe that I’m looking for pops up with a similar defect.

These could be a solid deal for anyone in 8.5 EEE. He’s asking $170 and they’re new with no other stated defects. @AEfaninTampa ?

15. James1051

James1051 Senior Member

Do you wear suits to work? I do. My black Parks are my most worn shoe. If you are in a bus casual environment, you'll probably get more use out of the Merlot McAs