• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forum members you blame for specific shoes you own:

Bourbon Strand - Orange Fury's fault.
Brown Overlord - Neo1's fault.
Olive Strandmok - armedferret's fault.
Merlot Hopkinson - Smfdoc's fault.
C&J Harewood (not sure I will keep it) - M2511's fault.
Brown Higgin's Mill - Pretty much everyone on here.

1bccaf5f4b53f002660279d446f4078ea220875d99df4ee5d51a54020e4c4404.jpg

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are beautiful shoes! But yes...my AE experience began as a result of being sick of buying two $80 pairs of shoes each year that looked 'good' for 2 months, and sucked from day one.. AE are significantly more expensive.. but with care and rotation- most of my shoes could/should last the rest of my career.. I figure at a bare minimum, I'll break even cost-wise, but will have comfortable, good looking shoes during that timeframe instead of dept store square toes that hurt to wear and the pleather flakes off.. For ME, yes- each pair I've bought so far shows me a fair amount of value..

I can ABSOLUTELY see the allure of additional shoes and many photos on here leave me jeleous, I'm just not in a position to buy shoes for that purpose....yet.

All kidding and weaseling aside, your approach is logical and commendable. You noted a problem, scoped out a solution, and implemented it. If you stop there, more power to you and there is nothing wrong with that. Lots of us have said that and then quickly did the exact opposite of what we said, which is why you're getting the good-natured ribbing; it's honestly directed more at each of us than you, I think.

I've personally settled on about a 2-week rotation, and I love everything in that rotation. I see maybe 1-2 more pairs at some point but no hurry on either. With that said, the rotation doesn't really address casual styles, and I may have just finally succumbed to the MD chukka ...

Bottom line - if you don't stop, welcome to the club, we have lots of awesome shoes. If you do, congrats on the self control and well-planned lineup, and please post photos of the shoes as you wear them!

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All kidding and weaseling aside, your approach is logical and commendable. You noted a problem, scoped out a solution, and implemented it. If you stop there, more power to you and there is nothing wrong with that. Lots of us have said that and then quickly did the exact opposite of what we said, which is why you're getting the good-natured ribbing; it's honestly directed more at each of us than you, I think.

I've personally settled on about a 2-week rotation, and I love everything in that rotation. I see maybe 1-2 more pairs at some point but no hurry on either. With that said, the rotation doesn't really address casual styles, and I may have just finally succumbed to the MD chukka ...

Bottom line - if you don't stop, welcome to the club, we have lots of awesome shoes. If you do, congrats on the self control and well-planned lineup, and please post photos of the shoes as you wear them!
Here, here. Its all part of the game.

Its like, I don't drink anymore..., I don't drink any less either.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a good game, former lobster! Going through my dress shoe rotation, I actually can't attribute anything directly to a member here. I will add blue shell at some point and blame @polojock615 and @Burzan for that with navy Carlyle pics. Black First Aves were definitely a weasel but exactly who escapes me. And @007Bond provided a good heads up on brown grain dundees that I jumped on ...

Edit: the main weasel for black FAs was @Middlife (though did he change his handle)? @bathiel piled on as well.

Last edited:

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up Randolphs and while I've locked in on my size I'm not in love with them in Chili. I think I'll send them back despite their $250 tag. Really want them in #8 shell. Loafer is the gap I have in the lineup.... I thought I could use more Chili but between warwicks & leiden weaves I think I'll survive. Get what I really want rather than settle then end up buying what I really want anyway.

gjk5

Reaction score

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
Never thought I'd actively seek wingtips! Now I have five, including the Leidens on order.

View attachment 789614
Life comes at you fast.

(A year ago, I also had zero interest in wingtips as my dad wore them, so I thought they were old-man footwear. Then I tried on a pair, and - BAM! - I now have 5 long wings and one short wing...and have numerous searches in EBay for more).

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Glad to see I made this and the @BackInTheJox weasel list. If others play, this list just may grow a bit. :bigstar:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads