• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone know the difference between the 'Westbrook' and the newer 'Maritime'? Google leads me to believe they havent made Westbrooks since 1999.. and I presume reintroduced the Maritime recently due to the popularity of wearing boat shoes for casual wear...

Anyway.. picked up a pair for 20 bucks (accepted 10.05 offer w/ 9.95 shipping) and want to know exactly what I have coming, as Im striking out in finding a true shoe description.. I do a lot of fishing on the great lakes and my dept store boat shoes that cost about 40 bucks last about one summer... so as long as they make it a year, im already way ahead.. but are these goodyear welt and recraftable? Thanks in advance! View attachment 787483
Those appear to have a leather and rubber sole. My Maritimes have no leather in the sole what so ever - built similar to Sperry/etc. Also, had I realized I might have bought those as the Maritimes only come in E rather than EEE and are a bit tight. I'm hoping I can stretch the suede a bit over time.

New2Suits

Reaction score
Those appear to have a leather and rubber sole. My Maritimes have no leather in the sole what so ever - built similar to Sperry/etc. Also, had I realized I might have bought those as the Maritimes only come in E rather than EEE and are a bit tight. I'm hoping I can stretch the suede a bit over time.

Good call. They sure look similar, but yes- the soles on the Westbrooks appear to have leather. Anyone know if these are recraftable? Would be nice to have my local cobbler just replace the lower rubber each year vs buying new shoes... boat shoes seem to eat up my heel until they get broken in.. then fall apart shortly after. Hoping Ive found the solution with these.
Screenshot_20170525-151219.png
Screenshot_20170525-151227.png

carsport

Reaction score
Regarding carsport's question about the symmetry of the Bartlett shoes, I did a little photoshop too. I made two yellow crosses that intersect at a 90 degree angle. I bisected the medallions at top, tried to align the cap horizontally, and tried to bisect between the laces. The right shoe seems spot on to me. The left shoe is very close to my eye, which isn't too picky. I think they look great.

I was more focused on the cap itself on the left shoe, rather than the medallion. They look spot on themselves and the right shoe is good to go.

I'm going to try and get back over there after work and take a look again. I was in a rush yesterday to get home.

All this being said, you guys just proved I'm too picky...which is weird for me. I haven't returned a single other pair.

Thanks for the input!

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was more focused on the cap itself on the left shoe, rather than the medallion. They look spot on themselves and the right shoe is good to go.

I'm going to try and get back over there after work and take a look again. I was in a rush yesterday to get home.

All this being said, you guys just proved I'm too picky...which is weird for me. I haven't returned a single other pair.

Thanks for the input!

You absolutely have the right to be picky. Yes you are paying $345 but don't look at it that way. It is a $500 shoe. Seconds have an expectation to have an error and are priced accordingly and shouldn't be flawless. If you see a flaw that you don't find acceptable for $500 get another made or resign yourself to the fact that maybe you are too picky for AE (this is not meant to be an insult in case it is taken that way). This isn't a discontinued shoe on clearance that you are expecting perfection from. Assuming this is about the Bartlett, I saw exactly what you did as soon as I saw the photo. If it was a 2nds shoe, I'd take it. As a first, no dice.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Its throwback Thursday, so went thrifting in vintage LWBs (Spoilered). As for the Westbrooks, the dates are not clear. The AE shoecare document only listed "black" and "black leather" options with style number 46881. The black was discontinued in 8/11 and the Back leather was introduced in 2/12. No information on the brown one you have.

These are Florsheim style 97725, made in USA. Nice contrast welt stitching.

FullSizeRender.jpg

New2Suits

Reaction score

Thanks for the input!

I agree with M2511. I've been buying 2nds and clearance from the shoebank and gently used from Ebay as it fits my budget.. If I was buying first quality, I would send those back without question.. personally, I wouldnt want them even as 2nds.. I am forgiving on a lot of things, but that line is what makes the shoe in my opinion, and I would see it every time I looked at them.

I also immediately saw the left shoe had a crooked cap, before even reading the post.. and Im very new at this.

Last edited:

carsport

Reaction score
No insult taken.

Part of what I like about AE and other similar brands is the individual variations (sometimes blemishes) that prove they're handcrafted.

I know we've beaten the horse extremely dead with this pair, (apologies everyone) but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

I'm glad to see your reply though, I was beginning to feel that I was the only one seeing it. As seconds I'd keep these without a fuss...as firsts, well, I'm obviously on the fence. My walnut Bartletts are pretty spot on.

nhlducks35

Reaction score
No insult taken.

Part of what I like about AE and other similar brands is the individual variations (sometimes blemishes) that prove they're handcrafted.

I know we've beaten the horse extremely dead with this pair, (apologies everyone) but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

I'm glad to see your reply though, I was beginning to feel that I was the only one seeing it. As seconds I'd keep these without a fuss...as firsts, well, I'm obviously on the fence. My walnut Bartletts are pretty spot on.

I have to disagree with this to an extent. Just because a product is partially handcrafted doesn't mean that is has to have poor QA and defects

This is a pair of Carmina (not my pic) that is partially handcrafted as well and costs the exact same price as those Bartletts, not to mention it comes with sized shoe trees...

img_comment%2F0Y0isS5pSLm3hbiBWaMH_2017-05-17%2006.36.21.jpg

New2Suits

Reaction score
Its throwback Thursday, so went thrifting in vintage LWBs (Spoilered). As for the Westbrooks, the dates are not clear. The AE shoecare document only listed "black" and "black leather" options with style number 46881. The black was discontinued in 8/11 and the Back leather was introduced in 2/12. No information on the brown one you have.

These are Florsheim style 97725, made in USA. Nice contrast welt stitching.

View attachment 787527

If anyone is curious.. you can google 'Allen Edmonds Catalog YEAR' for any given year, and most seem to bring up a site from 'ISSUU' (never heard of them until now) that seem to have most catalogs available on line.. I do see the Westbrook offered in Cayenne (46889) in '11, 12, and '13.. it also appears these are lambskin lined and recraftable per the catalog. Score.

Another page I read they discountined the Westbrook in '99.. sure enough, I found those too, but it was a leather soled loafer with the same name.. not a boat shoe at all.

Pretty neat resource for someone wanting to search old styles and has time to sort through pages..

Screenshot_20170525-171341.png
Screenshot_20170525-171502.png
Screenshot_20170525-171757.png

Last edited:

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with this to an extent. Just because a product is partially handcrafted doesn't mean that is has to have poor QA and defects

This is a pair of Carmina (not my pic) that is partially handcrafted as well and costs the exact same price as those Bartletts, not to mention it comes with sized shoe trees...

GAH! They have some missed punchouts in the brogue on the caps! :nest:

carsport

Reaction score

I'm not going to argue with anything you said. The intent of my previous comment was to mean that I'm personally fine with even blemishes on first quality shoes occasionally. Although I'd generally prefer the blemishes weren't there, and I'm not saying there aren't better brands with better QC producing shoes without defects. For example, my shell Alden's had no noticeable quality issues, but I paid quite a bit more for them.

Specifically, I'm quite happy with the Indy line shoes at $345. Heck I think they're good shoes at $400. $500 is a little steep for my wallet insofar as perceived and realized value.

And as a side note, I've never owned Carmina due to being unable to try them on locally. They make beautiful shoes. I suppose that will change soon, however, because I joined the recent Carmina Massdrop (thanks to this thread). If they don't fit I'll pass them on to someone that can wear them. I'm excited to receive them.

Short version: To me, a stitch slightly out of place or a pair of shoes not stained perfectly, to me, is a reminder that a human craftsman touched them. And that's fine by me.

My other draw to AE is being able to walk into a store and speak to a SA and talk about the shoes he/she sells with some degree of knowledge and pride. That's hard to find that at a big box store. I'm fairly young at 31, but I'm old school and I prefer to make relationships with folks I interact with.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
Wanna go to Philly tomorrow and try on Carminas?
Ha! That's enticing, but Carmina doesn't carry a last that fits my wide feet. Also, I have so many honey-do's, it'll be years before I get a kitchen pass, but I'd love to see pics from your visit, fer shure. I'm also trying to be good about spending cash right now after dropping a lot of dough on my last tax bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads