• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still playing catch up but... Golden Brown CXL Rush Streets yesterday.
2017-05-23 18.20.09.jpg
2017-05-23 18.21.32.jpg

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the D-width crowd, acorn hillfire neumoks are 199 at nordy's during the semi annual sale.
Paul mentioned in the past that stores (like Nordstroms) can order non-D-width shoes from AE for a customer, even if they don't normally carry that width. Has anyone here ever tried that?

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul mentioned in the past that stores (like Nordstroms) can order non-D-width shoes from AE for a customer, even if they don't normally carry that width. Has anyone here ever tried that?

Yes. During a Nordstrom Anniversary Sale a few years back they had an item on sale (that AE did not). I need it in my E width. They (Nordstrom) ordered it for me. It was drop shipped from AE's warehouse to my house. Nordstrom never actually ever touched it, they just got my money.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EDIT: forgot to include the note from Tex about most of the cutting being done in the DR.

This is not welcome news to me. One of the main reasons I buy AE is that they're US-made. If this practice is widespread across the regular AE models, then I'm afraid I'll be drifting off to different, truly US-made brands.

Bernie

It is definitely true. Paul has said this on an AMA or something I can't remember. Uppers for the non-Indy/Shell are clicked in the DR. Sorta like Dainite is made in England and then assembled onto any shoe that uses them. Would I like the clicking done in USA? Sure but until full assembly is done there I won't have a problem buying AE. Certainly never paying $300+ for anything DR made though particularly when they cannot be recrafted either.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are more makers than just Alden that are completely MiUSA - Rider, Oak Street, etc. They're generally pretty small.

For me, I'm merit-driven with my money.

bathiel

Reaction score
I also really like Helm, though they're mostly boots (for the time being) and are at a much higher price point than AE. I believe Helm's boots are actually made by Rancourt.

Bernie

Fatmatt5

Reaction score
EDIT: forgot to include the note from Tex about most of the cutting being done in the DR.

This is not welcome news to me. One of the main reasons I buy AE is that they're US-made. If this practice is widespread across the regular AE models, then I'm afraid I'll be drifting off to different, truly US-made brands.

Bernie

This is not necessarily new information though. Styleforum has discussions about this going back to 2011 I believe. My only point here being that if you (not you an individual, but the general you) have purchased Non Indy/Shell shoes in the last (at least) 6 years and had no isses with quality, than from a quality standpoint of the uppers, probably haven't noticed a difference. A Principle issue would be different I suppose.

Fatmatt5

Reaction score

I think that all authorized dealers of AE can order in the range of width/sizes available. Since there is no AE store in OK, I've had several Authorized Dealers tell me that.

Fatmatt5

Reaction score
A little non AE today. However, someone posted a little while ago about how AE just doesn't offer a plain toe Double Monk, and I agree that that is my preferred style at the moment. So I nabbed these instead and love them.

Santoni Belden IG 5.24.17.jpg

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attached are the Player 2.0 in Brown grain. Black dainite bottoms (not shown). Definitely don't see these posted here much if at all but I like them. The last picture shows the "flaw" I could find. If you can't spot it well that just confirms they should be kept.
Photo May 24, 8 26 14 AM.jpg
Photo May 24, 8 26 41 AM.jpg
Photo May 24, 8 27 28 AM.jpg
Photo May 24, 8 27 06 AM.jpg

A little non AE today. However, someone posted a little while ago about how AE just doesn't offer a plain toe Double Monk, and I agree that that is my preferred style at the moment. So I nabbed these instead and love them.

Agreed, looking at the handgrade C&J Seymour III to fill this role.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tomorrow is a SF anniversary for me as I joined 2 years ago. My stats show how I have spent my time and I have averaged just under 3 posts per day. A few of them have even been useful. I joined just after buying my first pair of AE shoes. Chili Bentons, rubber sole and pretty noticeable tiger striping. Got them through AE store in southern California. Had I known better I would have thought they were second quality. I have since run the spectrum and gone through most of the AE lasts, gone to vintage and then on to Alden for fit reasons. Today I submit a picture of my first shoe and then #8 shell LWBs I am wearing today. I would estimate I have purchased about 60 pairs in that two years and I have ended up with about 25 pairs. Its been a fun ride.

IMG_0321.jpg FullSizeRender 149.jpg

Last edited:

bathiel

Reaction score
This is not necessarily new information though. Styleforum has discussions about this going back to 2011 I believe. My only point here being that if you (not you an individual, but the general you) have purchased Non Indy/Shell shoes in the last (at least) 6 years and had no isses with quality, than from a quality standpoint of the uppers, probably haven't noticed a difference. A Principle issue would be different I suppose.

Right, that's what my thinking is. I haven't had any quality issues with the shoes. But I've been trying to make conscious decisions to buy US-made products whenever I can, and that's one of the reasons I chose AE. Obviously, there are some products where you don't have such options (e.g., consumer electronics), but I love the fact that so many shoe companies committed to US-made products have emerged recently.

Bernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads