• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is just something about chocolate everyone loves! LOL.

Today's Shoe Selection: Shell Strand....

IMG_1539.JPG

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Strand is just an iconic shoe for AE. I have a few Strands and love them all. Merlot, (around Father's day and great pick up), Midnight Blue (AE sale promo), Bourbon, Natural Shell, and Brown Shell. I guess I am a Strand Man! My other fav AE is the Liverpool (well documented in this forum) and the Rogue.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the uppers are assembled in the DR now is my understanding. Only shell shoes and the Independence line is really fully made in USA.

I'm not sure this is accurate. I read that "some" of the uppers (not the shell and Indy line) are "clicked" in the DR. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but Paul mentioned that it's only one of the first steps in the shoe creation, and that 99% of the other duties are handled in the USA. If anyone knows more details, please step in.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is accurate. I read that "some" of the uppers (not the shell and Indy line) are "clicked" in the DR. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but Paul mentioned that it's only one of the first steps in the shoe creation, and that 99% of the other duties are handled in the USA. If anyone knows more details, please step in.

A boot and shoe clicker is the person who cuts the uppers for boots or shoes from a skin of leather or piece of man-made material (usually from a bulk roll). This includes all components of the upper, including linings, facings, stiffeners, reinforcements for eyelets and zip-protectors.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A boot and shoe clicker is the person who cuts the uppers for boots or shoes from a skin of leather or piece of man-made material (usually from a bulk roll). This includes all components of the upper, including linings, facings, stiffeners, reinforcements for eyelets and zip-protectors.

Ah, so all of the cutting is done in the DR on some of the regular line AE shoes. But then I'm assuming all of the assembly is done in Wisconsin.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm quitting this forum right now. Who has the power to block my IP? Asked whether 2 pair of black AE captoes were too much, and you weasels want me to buy a third!?

If shoes can be sexy, those are it.

I have the same black cap toe balmoral in both calf and shell. Two is not too much, but I would draw the line at 3 in black and just get the third one in #8. The different color will make you feel better.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah, so all of the cutting is done in the DR on some of the regular line AE shoes. But then I'm assuming all of the assembly is done in Wisconsin.

Oy! At this rate they will make the entire shoe in the DR and ship it back to WI to glue on the heel. Reminds me of Apple. For years their products said Made in Cupertino, CA. Now the boxes say Designed in Cupertino.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I may be second guessing a recent purchase.. I wear suits M-F and have a pair of black park aves in my regular rotation.. The Indy sale had me looking, and I grabbed a gently used pair of Hopkinsons in black off Ebay for 100 bucks.. My thought is to give the Hops a good polish and save them for formal events, weddings, funerals, etc (a handful of wears per year at most) to keep them looking new and clean.. I know to the average person, the Hop and Park Aves will look like the same shoe.. Guess I'm looking for some support in my decision to own both?

Add my voice to the chorus that you having both the PA and Hopkinson in black is not a bad idea. This is especially true given (i) the cheap price you paid for the Hops, and (ii) the fact you wear suits every day. I have a "shiny" black stitch cap (Bonafes) for special occasions and my black Hops for "regular" wear. I love wearing them. In fact, I am seriously considering a merlot pair during the sale.

freshstyle

Reaction score
Can I return seconds to the retail store?

They didn't ship with a packing slip or recepit, but I do have the emailed e receipt. Is that enough?

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They didn't ship with a packing slip or recepit, but I do have the emailed e receipt. Is that enough?

From the ShoeBank front page:

SHIPPING & RETURNS
Simply return unwanted, unworn Factory-Second shoes to us by contacting the store
for a prepaid return label and we will refund the purchase price, less $10 restocking
fee per pair of Factory-Seconds returned or exchanged. You may also return your Factory-Seconds at any Allen Edmonds store. Returns to the Factory Outlet stores are free, but the $10 restocking fee will apply to each pair of Factory-Seconds returned
to our Retail stores.

carsport

Reaction score

Their computer system tracks all purchases through the store and from the shoe bank. So your SA knows when you're cheating on them. I've never needed to show my receipt.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the D-width crowd, acorn hillfire neumoks are 199 at nordy's during the semi annual sale.

bathiel

Reaction score
EDIT: forgot to include the note from Tex about most of the cutting being done in the DR.

This is not welcome news to me. One of the main reasons I buy AE is that they're US-made. If this practice is widespread across the regular AE models, then I'm afraid I'll be drifting off to different, truly US-made brands.

Bernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads