• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Williams was on the 222 last, a narrow last (can't recall if it's longer or shorter than 65, but @Neo1 would).

Either way, I don't think they use the 222 last for any Indy shoes anymore.

They don't. The non-handsewn Indy shoes are all made on the 201. The 201 fits like the 65, but has a larger instep. It's AEs best last IMO.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some say once you go shell, you don't go back. That's what scares me about shell, Alden, etc. Trying to avoid the poison for as long as I can.

I've expanded brands a little bit and I haven't had trouble going back to calf or AE. The only thing I'd say is if you can find lasts/makers that fit in their standard offering size then buying AE retail is overpriced. At shoebank prices great, at retail they are far too much. I have a pair of aldens and while they are definitely nicer I wasn't blown away by them. Overseas makers at comparable prices seem to be a better option but not MiUSA.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did not last long only 3 months!!!

Arrived Feb 22 (3 months today) wore am and pm on carpet and hardwood floors till now, and they are overall shot as well as a hole in the side. Sorry to say this is the fastest failure of any shearling slippers I have ever bought. This is the first and most expensive pair of shearling slippers $57 I have ever bought so very disappointed, the last pair from Walmart lasted over a year and never developed a hole and cost only $14.99. I expected the AE to last well at the very least as long as the Walmart ones really expected them to last longer. No I did not hit my foot into anything and this is a house shoe so nothing in the house to really damage a shoe. Looking close it's just my little toe that wore down the inside and then to the outside.

IMG_20170522_080840.jpg

TokenMao

Reaction score
I've expanded brands a little bit and I haven't had trouble going back to calf or AE. The only thing I'd say is if you can find lasts/makers that fit in their standard offering size then buying AE retail is overpriced. At shoebank prices great, at retail they are far too much. I have a pair of aldens and while they are definitely nicer I wasn't blown away by them. Overseas makers at comparable prices seem to be a better option but not MiUSA.

I agree with this. I don't think that shell is strictly superior to calf, both have their advantages and disadvantages. I have quite a few pairs of shell shoes and boots but I still find myself preferring calf on oxfords and dressier styles. Also agree that if you prefer made in USA and/or have a non-standard size, AE is most likely your best bet. Alden is great but as far as dress shoes go, most of Alden's offerings don't really speak to me, and I'd rather have the AE Strand or McAllister.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Monday forum pals. The wedding went as expected. I laughed; I cried; it changed my life. One out of three is not bad. And a sea of bad dress shoes. Back to AE shell.

FullSizeRender 148.jpg

liuzerus87

Reaction score
Happy Monday forum pals. The wedding went as expected. I laughed; I cried; it changed my life. One out of three is not bad. And a sea of bad dress shoes. Back to AE shell.

View attachment 785640

I was at a wedding recently too. It was very emotional. Even the cake was in tiers.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was at a wedding recently too. It was very emotional. Even the cake was in tiers.

My god that was a bad pun. Yet I sat here and laughed like an idiot.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bob's Chili Universities 2day:
iQR84ZB.jpg

So jealous.
But at least I have a walnut pair. Breakin' these in today.

IMG_20170522_074955.jpg

@smfdoc I once tried the Madison Park on at NR. It was way too tight in 8 D. It felt more like an 8 C. That's a sad, sad story about the Williams. The excitement you must have felt only to be followed up by disappointment.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So jealous.
But at least I have a walnut pair. Breakin' these in today.

View attachment 785642

@smfdoc I once tried the Madison Park on at NR. It was way too tight in 8 D. It felt more like an 8 C. That's a sad, sad story about the Williams. The excitement you must have felt only to be followed up by disappointment.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed. They were the last pair on the NR and marked as clearance. They were first quality and right at $200. But shoes that do not fit are just $200 paper weights.

ducducgoose

Reaction score

View attachment 785640

Wow, those look fantastic. Picked up a pair of AE navy shells a few weeks ago but to my chagrin they fit way tighter then the identical pair (in calf) I tried on at the store. I'm wondering if somehow they used the wrong size last; won't know until I go back to the store and compare both pairs side to side.

Fatmatt5

Reaction score
So, apparently the independence line sale is going through the Memorial Day and Father's Day sales. The Memorial Day is the dark chillis sale (I guess?) which ends on May 29. The Father's Day sale begins June 1 and ends June 18...

Fatmatt5

Reaction score
Ah, now that makes sense. The Indy line on sale is a great choice for the Father's Day sale.

Someone asked about the 2nds sale. I read that it ends on the 29th.

Ah. That must be part of the Memorial Day sale too. Confusingly enough, some things will end on the 29th and some the 18th of June (clothing clearance as well) and apparently new things will start on June 1...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads